Kiosk Application

Post by Paul Cavaca » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:28:55

  I need to create a kiosk type application.  By this I
mean I need to lock the computer, so that users cannot
perform a "normal" operation, i.e. clicking the start
button, using CTRL-ALT-DELETE, using any of then Window's
key function like Windows-E for Explorer or Windows-R for
the run menu.  This application will not be able to be
closed, except for by an administrator

Kiosk Application

Post by Bria » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:06:52

Hi Paul.

I'm going to assume you are using win2000 or XP.

This is a fair amount of work, but basically you want to:

-Run your application as the shell:
In the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Shell = "C:\somepath\PaulsShell.exe"
This will remove the desktop, start menu and taskbar and only your
application will be visible.

-filter hot keys:
To remove Windows E, alt-tab, etc you need to implement a keyboard filter
which will block all these key combinations.  Search on MSDN for
LowLevelKeyboardProc and WH_KEYBOARD_LL.

-block ctrl-alt-del:
You can't block ctrl-alt-del with a keyboard hook (windows does it first) so
you have to implement a wrapper for msgina.  Lookup ginastub.dll on MSDN,
you want to return cancel from the logged in on SAS.

Last but not least, you need to find a way to get out of your application /
reboot.

If you really want this to be a public kiosk, you also have to look at
autologon, blocking safe-mode, etc, etc....

Brian.

Quote:>   I need to create a kiosk type application.  By this I

Post by Phil Ho » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 07:25:32

> I need to create a kiosk type application.  By this I
> mean I need to lock the computer, so that users cannot
> perform a "normal" operation, i.e. clicking the start
> button, using CTRL-ALT-DELETE, using any of then Window's
> key function like Windows-E for Explorer or Windows-R for
> the run menu.  This application will not be able to be
> closed, except for by an administrator

http://www.phord.com/keyblock.html

Phil