DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

Post by Karan Punwan » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi All,

Can a grid style datawindow contain a DDDW style column as one of it's
columns. The DDDW could have a seperate list of values for each row in
the grid. I am using external datawindows...and embedded SQL ...How can
this be accomplished...I know of workarounds ....just wondering if there
is a simple solution...

Thanks

Karan

DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

Post by Brad Churchi » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi All,

>Can a grid style datawindow contain a DDDW style column as one of it's
>columns. The DDDW could have a seperate list of values for each row in
>the grid. I am using external datawindows...and embedded SQL ...How can
>this be accomplished...I know of workarounds ....just wondering if there
>is a simple solution...

Yes it can.

Create the grid style datawindow (if it hasn't already and use the right
mousebutton to click on the column.  Select the "Edit Styles" menu item
and you will be presented with the options to choose a ddlb, dddw,
edit mask, radio buttons, check box, or just a regular edit style.
Choose the Drop Down Datawindow and you are off to th races.

DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

Post by Karan Punwan » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>Can a grid style datawindow contain a DDDW style column as one of it's
>>columns. The DDDW could have a seperate list of values for each row in
>>the grid. I am using external datawindows...and embedded SQL

>Yes it can....

Not so fast...The dddw for each row can have different values for
each row...based on a retreival arg...I'll be real happpy if you can get
it to work now..

Karan

DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

Post by Gary Wo » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>>>Can a grid style datawindow contain a DDDW style column as one of it's
>>>columns. The DDDW could have a seperate list of values for each row in
>>>the grid. I am using external datawindows...and embedded SQL

>>Yes it can....

>Not so fast...The dddw for each row can have different values for
>each row...based on a retreival arg...I'll be real happpy if you can get
>it to work now..

>Karan

I recently posted a request for information on this same problem.  My
grid column DDDW affects the other columns for that row, as well.
I was looking for info on how to determine the selected row from the
DDDW, since I don't know how to address each DDDW distinctly within
the larger DW.
Can you forward any full responses to me please ?!
Thanks

DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

Post by Mahlon K. Copl » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>>Yes it can....

>>Not so fast...The dddw for each row can have different values for
>>each row...based on a retreival arg...I'll be real happpy if you can get
>>it to work now..

>>Karan

>I recently posted a request for information on this same problem.  My
>grid column DDDW affects the other columns for that row, as well.
>I was looking for info on how to determine the selected row from the
>DDDW, since I don't know how to address each DDDW distinctly within
>the larger DW.
>Can you forward any full responses to me please ?!
>Thanks

If I understand your requirement, you should be able to achieve your
objective.  I would first suggest reviewing the dddw example in the
4.0 example applications.  If you run it you can get a nice report of
the application.  The primary window is w_dddw_techniques.

When you say "DDDW affects other columns", I assume you mean
that the value of the item chosen from the DDDW will be used to
calculate other columns in the row (e.g., a computed column).
When you drop the DDDW down and choose an item, remember
that the DATA value, not the DISPLAY value will effect other values
that depend on that column.  You will need a separate "child
datawindow handle"  for each column that contains a DDDW.
Obtaining the handle is demonstrated in the example I referenced.

If you need to modify other columns once you select an item in
the dddw, simply use the itemchanged event to detect the change,
use "getitemxxxxx()" to extract the data from the dddw column,
and then use SetItem() to set the value of your computed column.

DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

Post by Jim Sto » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>>>Can a grid style datawindow contain a DDDW style column as one of it's
>>>columns. The DDDW could have a seperate list of values for each row in
>>>the grid. I am using external datawindows...and embedded SQL

>>Yes it can....

>Not so fast...The dddw for each row can have different values for
>each row...based on a retreival arg...I'll be real happpy if you can get
>it to work now..

>Karan

Karan
 Not rocket scientist stuff <G>

Rowfocuschange of grid_dw

datawindowchild   dwc

this.getchild('col_ddw', dwc)

s_key   =       this.getItemstring(this.getrow(),'key_col')
dwc.retrieve(s_key)

hth

Jim Stoll  CPD
PowerTech
Reston Va

DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

Post by Jason Lu » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have seen the Powerbuilder 5.0 Beta news in Powersoft Web site. It
contains lots of great features. Do anybody have this beta product ? Is
it as powerful as Powersoft mentioned? Is it easy to migrate 4.0 to 5.0 ?

DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

Post by The Rav » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have seen the Powerbuilder 5.0 Beta news in Powersoft Web site. It
>contains lots of great features. Do anybody have this beta product ? Is
>it as powerful as Powersoft mentioned? Is it easy to migrate 4.0 to 5.0

?

You are unlikely to get any response as everyone who has the beta has
signed non-disclosures ... but without letting anything out yes it has
some great new features. Yes more powerful ... stable? Yet to be seen.

Simon Gallagher aka The Raven

DDDW in a Grid Style DW ?

We have the Beta and all I can say is it looks good.

Post by Aaron Campbel » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> I have seen the Powerbuilder 5.0 Beta news in Powersoft Web site. It
> contains lots of great features. Do anybody have this beta product ? Is
> it as powerful as Powersoft mentioned? Is it easy to migrate 4.0 to 5.0 ?

1. Report Title for Grid style dw

Does anyone know if it is possible to put a report title on
a grid presentation styled datawindow?  Of course I have
column titles, but I want to supply some general Title like
information and can not find a way to do so.  I want the grid
style because of the resizing functionality etc.

Any suggestions?

Laure Normandin

2. unable to access exchange server

3. dw grid style problem with taborder

4. COM

5. Q: DW & DDDW

6. where to find dp?

7. Problem with tabular DW with embedded DDDW column !

8. printer sharing

9. Dynamically changing contents of DDDW Column in DW

10. Possible to put DDDW in DW.

11. Showing contents of dw from dddw

12. Disable PB dw err msg from dddw

13. How to capture windows event in DDDW style column?