S-Designor

Post by jhost.. » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

For those of you using S-Designor,  I would like some advice:

1) Should my data models include my entire database instance, or should I have
a model for each application within that database?  Are sub-models appropriate
here?

2) How do I manage multiple developers who need to modify the same model?

Thank you,

****************************
Jay Hostetter
D&E Tel. & Tel. Co.
Ephrata, Pa.  U.S.A

****************************

S-Designor

Post by DvomSa » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:>1) Should my data models include my entire database instance, or should I
>have a model for each application within that database?  Are sub-models
>appropriate
>here?

In theory, you should get the whole database in one model.  Sub-models
work well for a more managable view of specific application tables.  A
word of caution, however: we have a model with 450+ tables, and we appear
to be pushing the limits of the tool.  We are constantly on the phone with
Powersoft, as our CDM -> PDM generations are not completing successfully
for no apparent reason.

Quote:>2) How do I manage multiple developers who need to modify the same model?

Do you have the enterprise version?  If so, each developer can have their
own models which are then consolidated against a dictionary.  In order for
this to work correctly you must follow a fairly strict sequence; let me
know if I can help with details.  If you do not have the enterprise
version I don't know that you can pull together different changes
successfully.

Daniel vom Saal

Daniel vom Saal

1. S-Designor CASE tool from Powersoft

Hi:

Does anybody have an opinion on the S-Designor CASE tool from
Powersoft.?

We are currently evaulating version 4.2 but will probably implment
using version 5.0

1. Has the tool added to the productivity ?

2. How is the tool currently being used in your organization e.g.
Is it being used from to design to physical database implementation.

Any opinion will be welcome.

Shiraz Kassam

2. Y2K

3. S-Designor

4. re farmalloc

5. PB-4/S-Designor with PO-7.2 under Win-95

6. ZOOM 14.4PC question

7. Experience with S-Designor + PB?

8. Vax software

9. evaluation copy of S-designor and PB v5.0

10. S-Designor name/code

11. S-Designor Metafiles

12. S-Designor with Powerbuilder