How do I re-Retrieve() a dw ?

Post by Ahmad Ghoshe » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Using descripe as follows will give you the WHERE arguments. However, to find
what are the values being you may want to use the dw_1.GetSqlPreview()
function in the SQLPreview event. Store this SQL in an instance variable for
the window. Then when you want to re-retrieve the data window use Modify
function to replace the current SQL of the datawindow with the stored SQL in
the instance

--
Ahmad Ghosheh
PowerDesign

How do I re-Retrieve() a dw ?

Post by Douglas O'Nei » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: How do I re-Retrieve() a dw ?

>Date: 15 Nov 1995 16:35:13 GMT
>I'd like to create a menu object that when clicked, will re-execute
>the retrieve for a datawindow, accept there's no way of knowing what
>the arguments to the Retrieve() call were.
>Is there a sanctioned way of re-Retrieve()ing a datawindow?
>Is there a way to find-out what the arguments to the retrieve were?
>I haven't been able to find anything out from Describe().
>--
>Thomas Gagne

How are the arguments entered initially? If you are using "QueryMode" to get
the arguments, then when you re-enter query mode the arguments will be
redisplayed.

If you're using a different method, when you do the retrieve the first time,
save the retreive arguments in an instance variable (or somewhere) for later
use.

HTH,
Douglas O'Neill
Beckman Instruments Inc.
Brea, California
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
 foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"
                                             Douglas Adams - "Mostly Harmless"

How do I re-Retrieve() a dw ?

Post by Ray Torkels » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

We create a user event ue_retrieve on all ancestor windows, along
with a generic structure to hold keys and such. Windows which belong
to a family which retrieve with a numeric key contain the following
code in the ue_retrieve event:

.
.
dw_1.retrieve(WinParm.n_key).

This event is posted from what ever buttons, menu items, or events
we wish to use as well as the window open event. The extension of
this principle provides support for lots of other goodies too.

Quote:

>I'd like to create a menu object that when clicked, will re-execute
>the retrieve for a datawindow, accept there's no way of knowing what
>the arguments to the Retrieve() call were.

>Is there a sanctioned way of re-Retrieve()ing a datawindow?

>Is there a way to find-out what the arguments to the retrieve were?

>I haven't been able to find anything out from Describe().
>--
>Thomas Gagne

1. dw preview vs dw.retrieve

I am using pb 4.04 with oracle 7.1 on windows. I have added a column to a
table.  When i preview the datawindow all the data displays correctly.
However when I try to retrieve the datawindow on an openwindow I get the
oracle error 00904 invalid column name.  I have tried a variety of column
names and all return this error.  names such as SF_1, FLT, and SX32.
Why does preview work and not retrieve.
thanx in advance,
David Blocher
Carpenter Technology Corporation

2. Irregular Computer Booting Behaviour

3. Problem: "rowfocuschanged!" during dw.retrieve()

4. MK to MK3

5. retrieve only distinct rows into a dw

6. Help! IExplorer Script Error!

7. DW retrieve works in development, fails in EXE

8. Cabling instructions for DSL

9. Tabular dw - how to iterate through retrieved rows?

10. Want to retrieve column order in grid dw

11. HELP ! -- dw retrieve() function

12. Add dw.Retrieve() to existing rows in datawindow

13. Q: Long Oracle Retrieve in DW