Performance and breaking app into PBDs

Post by Indranil Ch » Thu, 08 Sep 1994 21:26:08

: I followed the recent thread on performance, but it seemed to
: have spotty tips for speeding things up. I am currently working
: on an app that is totally contained in one large .pbl file.
: When I create the executable, I make one large executable.
: (I KNOW THIS IS WRONG) The problem is that I don't have enough
: expertise to break teh application apart in an efficient way.

: The .pbl file is about 1 Meg, and the resulting .exe is about 400K.

: My question is basically how to break things up. I have some functions,
: a few structures, several windows, and even more datawindows, and
: some user objects.

: What rules does PB use to find things on the search path? Is it faster
: to break my 1Meg file into a half-dozen .pbd files? Does PB use any algorithm
: that I can take advantage of to help search time (and thus improve
: performance in certain areas)

: For example, do you put all the windows in one .pbd, datawindows in another,
: etc.? DO you put the things you want fast in one .pbd ealy in the
: search path, and slower things later? How many .pbds should you have?
: (I have about 100 "objects" total in my giant .pbl) Do you end up
: with an extremely tiny .exe file, and everything else in .pbl files?
Powersoft recommends that you have 50 to 60 objects in each pbl and
optimum size is smaller than 800 k.
Some of Powersofts tips are
Optimize frequently. Always regen the .pbl before making an exe.
Try to keep the size of the object small ( about 100 K  or less ).
Upto 1 meg is reasonable for the exe. You may want to consider PBDs
beyond 1meg exe files.
Try to keep the objects accessed often, earlier in the search path.
I have not found any improvement by groupinhg the pbls based on object
types.
You should also try to put the ancestor windows, and global functions,
common user objects etc in the exe file.
And the golden rule is try different combinations until you find the one
that works best, for 80% of the users, 80% of the time.
Hope this helps
Chip

: have been unanswered, but this one should be a bit easier!)

: I'm using PB3.0a2 with Sybase - heavy reliance on Stored Procedures.

: Thanks in Advance!

: Later,

: John

: --
: ---
: John Robison

: Opinions are my own.

--
---
John Robison

Opinions are my own.

1. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

I have a HP Scanjet 4c which I would like to connect to a Windows NT
machine - The machine keeps reporting that the scanner is not connected,
though the scsi driver recognises the device.
Any Ideas?
Many thanks

2. bug with the event "exiting"

3. UnixWare/OracleWare Record Breaking TPC-B Price Performance

4. (OT) Signs in the sky II

5. C API for building PBDs?

6. FS: IBDN Cat 5E CMP & CMR *Pics*

7. HELP: .PBDs and SetLibraryList()

8. Info needed: disk drive storage technology

9. Why/When use PBDs?

10. Creating EXEs/PBDs

11. Creating lots of *pbds

12. Use of PBDs

13. Performance of a web app - Soliciting opinions on stats