Stupid Event Question

Post by Dave Tomlins » Thu, 07 Apr 1994 07:05:37

Not having taken a class (no excuse), what is the difference between TriggerEvent
and PostEvent?  Have been using TriggerEvent to cause some user events I created
to execute, but maybe I should use something else.  Any help?

DCT

Stupid Event Question

Post by Mathew Tasallo » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 05:50:33

|> Not having taken a class (no excuse), what is the difference between TriggerEvent
|> and PostEvent?  Have been using TriggerEvent to cause some user events I created
|> to execute, but maybe I should use something else.  Any help?
|>
|> DCT

TriggerEvent corresponds to Sending a windows message and PostEvent
corresponds to (hmmm) posting a windows message to an object.  If you
send a message, the target object's message queue is preempted and
the message is replied to right away - hence, the sender blocks on
the TriggerEvent call until the object finishes it's processing.
On the other hand, posting an event will put the message on the objects
message queue and the object will process the message when it gets
to it.  This allows the sender of the message to carry on with it's
processing once the message has been posted.

|  Software Engineer              Phone: (604) 293 5467           | +
|                                                                 | |
|  MPR Teltech Ltd.  -   Burnaby  -  British Columbia  -  Canada  | |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+ |
 \        \               \                 \          \           \|

Stupid Event Question

Post by William R Ke » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 08:49:02

>|> Not having taken a class (no excuse), what is the difference between TriggerEvent
>|> and PostEvent?  Have been using TriggerEvent to cause some user events I created
>|> to execute, but maybe I should use something else.  Any help?
>|>
>|> DCT
>TriggerEvent corresponds to Sending a windows message and PostEvent
>corresponds to (hmmm) posting a windows message to an object.  If you
>send a message, the target object's message queue is preempted and
>the message is replied to right away - hence, the sender blocks on
>the TriggerEvent call until the object finishes it's processing.
>On the other hand, posting an event will put the message on the objects
>message queue and the object will process the message when it gets
>to it.  This allows the sender of the message to carry on with it's
>processing once the message has been posted.

In simpler terms...

Triggerevent - acts like a gosub.  Script that you trigger is immediatly
run..then you come back to where you triggered the event from and continue.

PostEvent - waits 'till the "end" of the event (this includes the end of
the script, window/object drawing, data retrieval, etc.) before the script
you PostEvented runs.

Reed                                        huhuhuh....he said "come"

I said it, not them.                        yeah...that was cool.

Stupid Event Question

Post by Ira H Krak » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 08:59:53

: Not having taken a class (no excuse), what is the difference between TriggerEvent
: and PostEvent?  Have been using TriggerEvent to cause some user events I created
: to execute, but maybe I should use something else.  Any help?

: DCT

Dave,
   TriggerEvent is synchronous - which is a fancy word for saying "do this
event NOW".  The event that triggers the event waits until the triggered
event finishes.  PostEvent is asynchronous - which is a fancier word for
saying "do this event after the triggering event finishes".  In Windows
terms, the event is placed at the end of the queue.
   So the rule is - if the event you trigger should run NOW, use
TriggerEvent.  If the event you trigger should run AFTER the event script
finishes (maybe the triggered event depends on some processing between
the TriggerEvent and the end of the script) use PostEvent.
   Hope this helps.

Ira Krakow

Stupid Event Question

Post by Gunther Birznie » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 12:29:16

Trigger event is synchronous.  PostEvent is asynchronous.

TriggerEvent makes the event happen right away.
PostEvent makes the event signal go into a message queue to get
processed when Windows is done with what it is doing (such as your own
event).

Later,
  Gunther

Stupid Event Question

Post by Eric Stephe » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 04:12:24

>|> Not having taken a class (no excuse), what is the difference between TriggerEvent
>|> and PostEvent?  Have been using TriggerEvent to cause some user events I created
>|> to execute, but maybe I should use something else.  Any help?
>|>
>|> DCT

>TriggerEvent corresponds to Sending a windows message and PostEvent
>corresponds to (hmmm) posting a windows message to an object.  If you
>send a message, the target object's message queue is preempted and
>the message is replied to right away - hence, the sender blocks on
>the TriggerEvent call until the object finishes it's processing.
>On the other hand, posting an event will put the message on the objects
>message queue and the object will process the message when it gets
>to it.  This allows the sender of the message to carry on with it's
>processing once the message has been posted.

>--
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

>|  Software Engineer              Phone: (604) 293 5467           | +
>|                                                                 | |
>|  MPR Teltech Ltd.  -   Burnaby  -  British Columbia  -  Canada  | |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------+ |
> \        \               \                 \          \           \|
>  +-----------------------------------------------------------------+

Good explanation Mathew. FaxBack #2067 has a longer-winded explanation
if anyone is interested.
--

Mutual of New York                      Voice:         315-477-3802
#include <disclaim.std>

1. Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Always check your power supply before applying power to the rest of the
circuit...

<large number of incredibly foul words - deleted>

I finally got my new bot all wired up and began testing it for software and
bugs.  My DVM is still out of commission and I didn't feel like hooking up
my scope.  I mean... after all, I've been working with electronics for many
years.  A good visual is all I need to make sure I'm not going to cook
something - right?  Ha!

<more, highly creative, foul words - deleted>

I power up the thing and start fixing a few software bugs on the sensors.  I
finally get them all working, but the thing begins to act intermittently.
There are no more software bugs.  Then I think, "Hmmm... must not have the
right filter caps on the supply."  Then I touch the 5 volt regulator -
yikes!  Very hot!  What's going on?  I did the math and the current draw was
well within specs.  But I added a heat sink and a couple of caps anyway.

It worked for a few moments and then completely stopped.  No more
intermittent operation.  The regulator was still rather hot.

I finally decide to hook up my scope and take a look at the 5 volts.  "Am I
reading this right?  That looks like 10 volts... !!!!!<deleted>!!!!!  I
Radio Shack!!!!  You just killed my whole <deleted> robot!!!!!"

I replaced the regulator and now it reads 5 volts and runs nice and cool,
but my <deleted> Stamp is <deleted> dead and I cannot tell if any of my
other <deleted> components are dead until I get another <deleted> Stamp...

I hope your Sunday is going a little better than mine...

<deleted>

Bart

2. Mass Update for Multiple Entries - Assign Category

3. Stupid stupid stupid

4. PIX & ADSL & VPN

5. GODAMNIT U PEOPLE ARE STUPID (no only the stupid ones)

6. Can u help me w/ this???

7. Am I stupid or is Adobe stupid?

8. Question about NAT and inside global IP address

9. dropping a particular event in an event variable, but not the entire variable

10. Filtering all events not belonging to a specific event type.

11. Event Service with typed events (using Orbacus)

12. Event Callbacks: How do you implement a portable Event Filter?