Starting other Windows apps from PB

Post by Craig Wagn » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: 2. I want to start a DOS application from a PB app. Using the run command
: this always starts up in full screen mode. How can I force it to display
: in a window on the screen on start up (ie. without having to press alt-space)

My guess would be that you'll have to set up a PIF to indicate that you
want to run the application in a window, and then Run the PIF from
PowerBuilder.
--

CPD Professional        | Fidonet:      1:134/238
Visual Systems          | Home: (403) 271-7387

Starting other Windows apps from PB

Post by Dave Hounsl » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I have a couple of problems with using the Run function in powerbuilder.

1. I want to be able to set the Working Directory for an application
(as per the setting in program manager) how can I do this?

2. I want to start a DOS application from a PB app. Using the run command
this always starts up in full screen mode. How can I force it to display
in a window on the screen on start up (ie. without having to press alt-space)

Thanks in anticipation.
--
Dave Hounslow
(Standard Disclaimers Apply)

Post by Steve Stefan » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> I have a couple of problems with using the Run function in powerbuilder.

> 1. I want to be able to set the Working Directory for an application
> (as per the setting in program manager) how can I do this?

> 2. I want to start a DOS application from a PB app. Using the run command
> this always starts up in full screen mode. How can I force it to display
> in a window on the screen on start up (ie. without having to press alt-space)

The anwer to both problems is the same.
Use a Windows .PIF file.  PIF files allow you to specify all of the
"Windows" attributes of a DOS program, as well as configure memory
requirements, etc.

Try using the PIF editor in your either your Main, or Accessories
windows groups

Steve Stefani
Greenbrier & Russel Software

Starting other Windows apps from PB

Post by Dave Hounsl » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Thanks the PIF file is the way to go with problem 2. (running a DOS app in
a window)
However, the application I am running in problem 1 (setting the
current working directory when running an app from PB) is not  a DOS
app but a windows app. so I can't use a PIF file any ideas?

--
Dave Hounslow
(Usual disclaimers apply)

Post by AS8551%STLMA.. » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.powerbuilder
> Subject: Re: Starting other Windows apps from PB

> Date: 31 Mar 95 13:37:11 GMT

You can launch any dos or windows application using the an external function
call to Shell execute.  I haven't tried it with a DOS aplication, but I believe
there is a parameter to let you do what your wanting to do.

Art Sanderson
Information Services
SWBT

> : 2. I want to start a DOS application from a PB app. Using the run command
> : this always starts up in full screen mode. How can I force it to display
> : in a window on the screen on start up (ie. without having to press
alt-space)

> My guess would be that you'll have to set up a PIF to indicate that you
> want to run the application in a window, and then Run the PIF from
> PowerBuilder.
> --

> CPD Professional   | Fidonet:      1:134/238
> Visual Systems             | Home: (403) 271-7387
> Calgary, AB                | Work: (403) 262-9970

1. Sharing MDI Windows between PB and non-PB apps.

We are developing a c++ app that will be executed from a Powerbuilder
MDI app.  Our app will also be a MDI app.  Within the PB MDI, it of
course keeps track of the open windows in the PB MDI Frame.  Within
our MDI it will also keep track of the windows in our MDI frame.  My
question is this - Is there a way to find out what the open windows
are in the PB app from a c++ app, and if so, is there a way to give
control back to a PB app and tell it to go to an arbitrary entry point.
I honestly don't think it can be done (in a reasonable time frame), but
will gladly be corrected by a PB guru.

Thanks -
Steven

*
*  "I hope when I die, I die quietly in my sleep like my
*   grandfather did, not yelling and screaming like the other
*   people in his car."
*

2. I'm looking for an omniorb script of mapping from idl to C++

3. Launch others Apps from My App

4. Using Commodore 64 printer on IBM?

5. Killing another application running in Windows from a PB App

6. the big deal about MODE X

7. Killing another windows application from with a PB app

8. Chart Overlays/combo charts in Excel V5?

9. Launching Windows App from PB

10. Saving window layout when exiting PB app

11. Closing a PB app. from another PN app.

12. Starting app at system start

13. Does PB 3 or PB 4 needs MS Windows extended version to run?