PB403: Oracle TableSpace & PB4

Post by Joe McNama » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

    Does anyone know how to use a different tablespace using PB403 and
Oracle 7.1.  I have a USERS space for user tables and I just created a space
for TEMP tables.  I need to be able to transfer data between both but cannot
figure out how.  I looked up all I could in the PB help and checked out
their faxline and WEB pages for help.  I do not even know how to get
around PB's default behavior of automatically using the tablespace for
the logged on user.  Do I have to make another connection to the temp space?

   Thanx in advance.

     Joe M.

--

PB403: Oracle TableSpace & PB4

Post by Michael Bolt » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

The only way I know to do what you are asking is to define two
different users in Oracle. One for your Users tablespace, and one for
the temp.

e.g.
create user user identified by xxxx default tablespace users temporary
tablespace users;
create user temp identified by xxxx default tablespace temp temporary
tablespace temp;

Then you could create tables under each user and pipe data between
them, assuming you grant the privileges to do so.

Post by Tony Nob » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>    Does anyone know how to use a different tablespace using PB403 and
>Oracle 7.1.  I have a USERS space for user tables and I just created a space
>for TEMP tables.  I need to be able to transfer data between both but cannot
>figure out how.  I looked up all I could in the PB help and checked out
>their faxline and WEB pages for help.  I do not even know how to get
>around PB's default behavior of automatically using the tablespace for
>the logged on user.  Do I have to make another connection to the temp space?

>   Thanx in advance.

>     Joe M.

>--

If I understand what you are asking then you're solution is fairly simple.  Stop using the powerbuilder
visual tools to build your tables.  Instead write a sql script with your create table statements, then use
the tablespace clause to specify which tablespace to build the table in.  Note that you will need to
grant quota on the tablespace to the account, before you create the table.  You can then use sqlplus
(or any tool that will run a script, i think powerbuilder will even do it) to run your script.  If you are using
the pb visual table builder then you are doing your database a disservice, because you also cannot
specify storage parameters for the table, nor for any indexes, and an oracle database doesn't 'like'
poorly considered storage parameters.
--
Tony Noble

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

1. SAS/ACCESS libname - specify Oracle tablespace?

Is there anyway to specify a specific tablespace in the SAS/ACCESS libname statement using Oracle?  I am writing an Oracle table using a LIBNAME statement, but the problem is that the default tablespace in this schema is too small for the table that I am writing.

The DBLOAD procedure supports TABLESPACE=  but for lots of reasons, I would really prefer to avoid using it unless absolutely necessary.

Deborah Skinner
Fortis Health Insurance Co.

                     Please Note
The information in this E-mail message is legally privileged
and confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you, the reader of this message,
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this
E-mail message. If you have received this E-mail in error,
please notify the sender. Thank you

2. Lanus - Any opinions?

3. Flipped Outer-joins w/ PB4 & Oracle

4. Winzip Self Extractor - Win 98 Problem

5. PB4 & Oracle 7 BLOB's (Not working)

6. Is this a possible DoS scenario within DNSSEC ?

7. PB4 Question - PB4 & DataWindows

8. Need a robust workgroup printer

9. In HELL with PB4 & BANYAN & NT3.51

10. PB4 & CT-Lib & Stored proc

11. Native PB4-Oracle 7 interface for Windows NT

12. Personal Oracle 7 for 95 from PB4.0 16-bit ?

13. PB4 and Oracle won't talk