Must one recreate DW after revising Query? (newbie asking)

Must one recreate DW after revising Query? (newbie asking)

Post by Steve Fi » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

When using InfoMaker (preferably) or PowerBuilder
to construct/maintain an application,
what mechanism is available to a developer
to revise a query definition, without causing
a need to subsequently re-create any form (datawindow)
that incorporates the query?

For instance, if users who previously had wanted their
query to be sorted 'ascending' now want their query
to be sorted 'descending', I find that I must not only
redefine the query itself, but also construct a new
form (if in IM) or datawindow (in PB), rather than being
able to rely on IM or PB itself to reference the redefined
'version' of the query.  This in any case is the default
behavior I have seen in IM/PB release 4.0.4,
and cannot find any documentation about how to work around
this behavior.  Suggestions anyone?
Each form itself takes a couple hours to create so I am not
eager to re-create them from scratch.

Thanks,
Steve Fick
Inso Corporation

Post by Dave Mille » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I see a lot of posts about the CPD exams, etc. and I thought you all
>might be interested to know that the CPD program is undergoing some
>changes effective with the 5.0 release.

>Disclaimer: I'm NOT a representative of Powersoft, I'm only going by
>information that was mailed to me by Powersoft.

>Certification will now be tightly coupled to a specific PowerBuilder
>release.  (The exams have always been release-specific, but once you
>were certified no distinction was made.)  Only certifications for
>supported PowerBuilder releases will be recognized.  Whereas formerly
>an annual maintenance exam was required to maintain certification,
>now your certification will remain active as long as Powersoft supports
>your certification release.

>Once your certification becomes inactive, you must take a maintenance
>exam for any supported release (Powersoft typically supports two releases
>concurrently).  Associates have a 3-month grace period and Professionals
>have a 6-month grace period in which to take the exam.

>If you are considering taking the 4.0 exams in the not-too-distant
>future, you might do yourself better to wait until 5.0 ships and certify
>on that release.  That way you'll maximize your certification (and
>presumably your marketability, too).  Me, I'm screwed because my
>(3.0 associate) certification wasn't supposed to expire until August.
>--
>Diane Diesh
>U S WEST Advanced Technologies

I'm not going to renew my CPD Associate license until they clean up the
current puzzle-fest.  The renewal is ridiculously hard and belongs
somewhere in an interactive game.  I can't even get them to reply to my
Email about it :-|

The opinions expressed are my own and may not reflect reality.

Post by Diane Dies » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Post by Bill McCrack » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Look in your help file/manual under the Sort() function (and
SetSort()) which will define and perform the re-sort based on what
your users or you allow them to sort by in PB.

>When using InfoMaker (preferably) or PowerBuilder
>to construct/maintain an application,
>what mechanism is available to a developer
>to revise a query definition, without causing
>a need to subsequently re-create any form (datawindow)
>that incorporates the query?
>For instance, if users who previously had wanted their
>query to be sorted 'ascending' now want their query
>to be sorted 'descending', I find that I must not only
>redefine the query itself, but also construct a new
>form (if in IM) or datawindow (in PB), rather than being
>able to rely on IM or PB itself to reference the redefined
>'version' of the query.  This in any case is the default
>behavior I have seen in IM/PB release 4.0.4,
>and cannot find any documentation about how to work around
>this behavior.  Suggestions anyone?
>Each form itself takes a couple hours to create so I am not
>eager to re-create them from scratch.
>Thanks,
>Steve Fick
>Inso Corporation

Bill McCracken

"Opinions are the facility to see how well your foot fits
into your mouth -- thus fitting to be humble."

Must one recreate DW after revising Query? (newbie asking)

Post by David Gold » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

My understanding is that it takes a long time before PowerBuilder
brings out the exams, so waiting for PB 5.0 and then waiting for the
exam might be a very long wait indeed....

Post by Diane Dies » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:My understanding is that it takes a long time before PowerBuilder
:brings out the exams, so waiting for PB 5.0 and then waiting for the
:exam might be a very long wait indeed....

I think they said the beta version of the 5.0 exams would be out about
1 month after release date.  The beta period for the 4.0 exams was around
6 months, as I recall, so you can probably expect the same for 5.0.

What's the deal with the beta exams, anyway?  I presume they are subject
to change during the beta period (?).  If I pass an early version, would
I be required to re-take the exam if it has to be modified?
--
Diane Diesh
U S WEST Advanced Technologies

1. DBI newbie asks ODBC query question

I just installed DBI v1.34 and DBD-ODBC v1.04 on my AS build 633, and
have a question about a query that I tried to test the ODBC connection
to our SQL Server database:

my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT a, b, c FROM table WHERE (c <> 'XYZZY')
ORDER BY a");

will return 109,000 rows in four seconds.  All three fields are
populated in all records.

my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT a, b, c FROM table ORDER BY a");

Omitting the WHERE statement returns 1.5 million rows in 839 seconds;
the additional rows are where field 'c' is null.  The value 'XYZZY' will
never occur in the data.

Why wouldn't those rows be returned in the first query?  Why does it
take so much longer to return these records?

Thanks for enlightening a DBI newbie,

Rick

2. Emacs menubar font for OpenWindows-3

3. Query mode for Shared DW

4. sendmail alternative?

5. Get DW rowcount? -- Stop EXTREMELY LONG QUERIES?

6. USB Peripheral

7. Any restriction in dw query mode?

8. VSS Automation

9. dw query mode

10. DW Painter Headaches (Newbie)

11. DW - Newbie question

12. Pasting a sheet from one book to another (revised)

13. dw.SetRedraw(false) and then dw.Print() messes up the print out.