Focus on a datawindow

Post by Rik Broo » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have a very odd question that I've never run into.  I have an
application that implements security on a row and column level.  This
is accomplished with an ancestor datawindow control that communicates
with a non visual object.

By the time the datawindow retrieves it knows the rows and columns
that it does not have access to.  It then goes through and sets
disabled colors and borders for all of the columns that are not
accessabie.  Finally it goes through and find the rows that do not
have permissions and sets, one by one, the colors and borders and
protects for each of these columns.  All of this works wonderfully.

The problem is when I am working in free form.  Since my cursor can
not be put into any column on that particular row I find that it is
impossible to scroll to it.  Since I am using the Visual Libraries I
am able to do the Ctrl-Alt-D at runtime and see the underlieing
structure of the dw and I can see that the row is in fact there.  I
can use the Ctrl-Alt-G for the datawindow and try to directly go to
that row.  But no matter what I do it will never display if the
protect for each column is on.

My current work-around is to put a dummy column in the upper left
hand corner and never protect it.  Now it works but this is VERY
kludgy and leaves me with an extra column that might be a little
confusing to the user.  Not very professional at all.

Any ideas?

Focus on a datawindow

Post by Geert Lefever » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>By the time the datawindow retrieves it knows the rows and columns
>that it does not have access to.  It then goes through and sets
>disabled colors and borders for all of the columns that are not
>accessabie.  Finally it goes through and find the rows that do not
>have permissions and sets, one by one, the colors and borders and
>protects for each of these columns.  All of this works wonderfully.

>Any ideas?

Hi,

There are some known bugs with the .Protect attribute of datawindows.
I've reported them several times,  but in every release there seems to be
something wrong with it.

I gave up and don't use the .Protect anymore - too bad, it was a good
concept and I haven't found a real replacement for it (yet).

Hope PB5 solves some of this - got the Beta today

Johan Deryckere
LGTsoft (Belgium)

1. FOCUS.FOCUS.FOCUS

When I step though the following script and come to the file\open step, the
VT4 file\open opens instead of the application. Why is this? It's driving me
nuts. I seem to always have the wrong window. The wierd thing is that it
seems to work if I just run it without stepping through it. I'm starting to
get the impression that this isn't a very good product. No wonder M/S sold
it.
Frustrated.
Myles

'$include: 'basic.inc'
Sub OpenFile(FileToOpen as string)
dim hwndApp&
dim info as INFO
 hwndApp = wFndWnd(APP_TITLE, FW_ALL OR FW_PART OR FW_FOCUS ,20)
 If hwndApp Then WSetActWnd (hwndApp)

 wMenuSelect(FILE_OPEN)

 play FileToOpen
 if(GetText(NULL)= APP_TITLE) then
  WButtonClick(BTN_OK)
 endif

2. Harlequin RIP for QuickMaster DI

3. How to return focus in a control after reexposing a DataWindow?

4. Urgently Need Business Intelligence Project Manager in Columbus Indiana with my direct client

5. How to detect when a DataWindow SubForm got focus ?

6. VCARD support on Pocket PC

7. Focus Datawindows

8. Format a: or Del a:*.*

9. getting name of a datawindow that has focus

10. DataWindow:Browser and DataWindow:oGBrowse

11. datawindow as child of another datawindow

12. Is DataWindow:Close() called from DataWindow:EndWindow() ?

13. datawindow inherit from datawindow