PowerBuilder - Rdb - ODBC

Post by Frank Reeve » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

PowerBuilder folks...

Okay... We are using Rdb V6.0-05 on an AXP running VMS 6.1 and
using ODBC driver to connect to Rdb via PC with PowerBuilder 3.0b.

Well, when we enter the following syntax from the SQL painter in
PowerBuilder, this is what happens:

SELECT SYSTEM_USER.USER_IDENTIFIER
FROM SYSTEM_USER ;

SQLSTATE=S1000
[DEC][ODBC][Rdb]SQL-F-SYNTAX ERROR

When we enter the same SELECT statement from Rdb interactively,
we get the same error.  However, when we add quotation marks to
the table name as follows it works in Rdb, but not from
PowerBuilder:

SELECT "SYSTEM_USER"."USER_IDENTIFIER"
FROM "SYSTEM_USER" ;

We have since found out that Rdb reserves the keyword SYSTEM_USER
and will not allow you to refer to the table unless you specificly
indentify the table in quotation marks.  Since this works with
interactive SQL on the Alpha, why not from PowerBuilder via ODBC?

Sincerly,

PleaseDontTellMeWeHaveToChangeAllOurCode!

Frank Reeves

1. Experiences sought on Rdb/ODBC/PowerBuilder

We are considering using PowerBuilder with Rdb for database application
development.  The only way these two talk together is via ODBC.  We've
heard that ODBC drivers can vary considerably with regard to
1. Functionality
2. Reliability
3. Speed
Would anyone care to share their experiences on using either the
PowerBuilder or the Rdb ODBC driver?   Thank you!

-- Brian
--
Brian Westrich

University of Minnesota                 phone:    (612) 627 4862

2. version 20.2 for pentium?

3. Mac ODBC driver for Rdb?

4. Solitaire Game Question

5. help! Palm V hotsync with outlook express 5

6. ODBC w/ MS-Acess and Wollongong to rdb on VAX

7. Controller based RAID and Quorum disk.

8. ODBC connection to DEC Rdb

9. Q: DEC Rdb ODBC v1.1: Read w/o placing locks??

10. Q: DEC Rdb ODBC driver pops up it's own window

11. DEC RDB ODBC lingering transaction ?

12. RDB ODBC drivers.