NET-SNMP Agent Toolkit

Post by Elan » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 15:52:23

Hi ALL,

I am newbie as far as SNMP is concerned. Using the NET-SNMP Agent
Toolkit i have extended the SNMP agent to accomodate my private
MIB(using AgentX method).

In the example provided by the NET-SNMP Agent Toolkit there are two
MIB objects one of them is a string and the other a timeticks type.
The timeticks type keeps getting incremented and gets updated.

Using the above example i wrote a MIB with the above datatypes and
along with it an extra datatype of IpAddress type. My MIB gets
registered and i am able to
query the MIB as well. But the value of the IpAddress datatype throws
junk value everytime.

Can anyone suggest any help on the above such that the query results
in the retrieval of the systems IP address where the Agents running.

Thanx in Advance,
Elan

NET-SNMP Agent Toolkit

Post by Dave Shiel » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:52:20

>  But the value of the IpAddress datatype [in a private MIB] throws
> junk value everytime.

> Can anyone suggest any help on the above such that the query results
> in the retrieval of the systems IP address where the Agents running.

Probably the best suggestion would be to examine how this is handled
elsewhere in the UCD agent.   The most obvious examples are
ipAdEntAddr (in either mibII/ip.c or possibly mibII/ipAddr.c) and
ipNetToMediaNetAddress (in mibII/at.c).
   This isn't the most straightforward code to read, unfortunately, but
if you work backwards from where the value is returned, and ignore
everything else, you should get the general gist of things.

Dave

1. Help on tailoring net-snmp or ucd-snmp into snmpv1 agent

We need to tailor the net-snmp or ucd-snmp to get an SNMPv1 agent for an
embedded system based MPC8xx and Linux.This agent only needs to support
RFC1155(SMIv1),RFC1157(SNMPv1),RFC1212(Concise MIB) and RFC1213(MIB-II).The
size of the SNMPv1 agent is very very crtical for us.The smaller,the better.
Could any SNMP expert advice me how to slim down the net-snmp or ucd-snmp to
meet our expectation? Any viable tailoring methodology or suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

2. gnu binutils 2.6.2 - incompatible ar?

3. Question regarding net-snmp agent

4. ppp as dial in and dial out still problematic

5. How to configure Net-SNMP Agent

6. NetCensus EOFM

7. Net-SNMP vs Agent++

8. Flashback on PC card

9. net-snmp agent for Solaris and HP-UX

10. Tips to using Net-SNMP Agent on pSOS : Basic Questions

11. How to invoke NET-SNMP Agent on Linux ?

12. Net-SNMP Agent : Expected and Actual Get-Responses

13. How to compile NET-SNMP Agent on Linux, Windows98, ...