SNMP agent and SunNet manager

Post by Bryan T » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On Solaris, standard SNMP agent demon snmpd is started with
configuration file
snmpd.conf.  Is is true that I can change this standard SNMP agent to
use different port other 161 by modify the file /etc/services in the
following line
snmp           161/udp
snmp            any_available_port/udp

and to change the port which SunNet manager uses to talk to the
SNMP agent, all I have to do is modify the file /etc/inet/inetd.conf
Change
snmp.snmp/10   tli   rpc/udp  wait   root
/opt/SUNWconn/snm/agents/na.snmp na.snmp
snmp.snmp/10   tli   rpc/udp  wait   root
/opt/SUNWconn/snm/agents/na.snmp na.snmp  port #

But this will make SunNet manager talks to all agents through this port?

thanks for any help.

Bryan

SNMP agent and SunNet manager

Post by Muriel Appelbau » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi, Bryan,

It is often the case with SNMP consoles, that a configuration file
can be used to change the IP port number to which the console sends
SNMP requests.  However, without a way to specify **which** SNMP
agents are listening at **which** ports, the console will send **all**
its requests to that port on all the systems where there are SNMP
agents.

If the goal is to run multiple SNMP agents on the same host, an
effective approach is to send all SNMP requests to port 161, as usual,
and use a forwarding application listening at that port to forward
SNMP requests to the appropriate SNMP agents that are listening at
different port numbers on the same host interface (IP address).

For example, the forwarding application listens at port 161, but the
Solaris snmpd is configured to listen at port 2161 and another SNMP
agent might be configured to listen at port 14161 (perhaps through
an invocation parameter).

With BMC Software's PATROL SNMP Toolkit, its Master Agent would listen
at port 161.  Its Encapsulator component forwards requests intended
for snmpd to port 2161, and requests intended for the other SNMP agent
to port 14161, using a configuration file to identify different requests
as intended for their respective agents.  The console views the Master
Agent listening at port 161 as responsible for resources managed by any
of the three SNMP agents on that host:

SunNet ----> 161 Master Agent            |--->  2161  snmpd
Mgr                |                     |
                   |--> Encapsulator---->|
                   |                     |
                   |                     |--->  14161 other SNMP agent

                   |--- subagent

                   |--- subagent

> On Solaris, standard SNMP agent demon snmpd is started with
> configuration file
> snmpd.conf.  Is is true that I can change this standard SNMP agent to
> use different port other 161 by modify the file /etc/services in the
> following line
> snmp           161/udp
> snmp            any_available_port/udp

> and to change the port which SunNet manager uses to talk to the
> SNMP agent, all I have to do is modify the file /etc/inet/inetd.conf
> Change
> snmp.snmp/10   tli   rpc/udp  wait   root
> /opt/SUNWconn/snm/agents/na.snmp na.snmp
> snmp.snmp/10   tli   rpc/udp  wait   root
> /opt/SUNWconn/snm/agents/na.snmp na.snmp  port #

> But this will make SunNet manager talks to all agents through this port?

> thanks for any help.

> Bryan

 Muriel Appelbaum          BMC Software, Inc.  (Silicon Valley Division)
 Voice: +1 408 556-0720    (Formerly PEER Networks)   http://www.bmc.com
 Fax:   +1 408 556-0735    1190 Saratoga Avenue, Suite 130
 Email:                    San Jose, California 95129-3433  USA

    My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of BMC Software.

1. Can i use ucd-snmp manager tools with the Agent++ agent..

Hi,

          I just wanted to know, for testing with the agent++ snmpd agent
daemon, can i able to use ucd-snmp manager tools, snmpget, snmpset, snmpgetnext,
etc..

So that i am trying out a different middleware implementation, for trying to
conclude, means mysql is using for database maintenace of a ATM switch which is
remotely operating by CORBA concept..and the mysql database i will use for
my mibs data...( i will store my mibs information in sql tables format..)

thanks for the help,
srinivas.
http://nagasrinivasv.reach.at

2. Alert: Don't forget MIDI, Mr. Collas.

3. Does SunNet Manager S/W include agent

4. Emails Stuck on PDA (Will not sync back to Outlook)

5. Writing SNMP manager and agent: how writing SNMP applications?

6. Parser Error : Could not load type 'myApp.Global'

7. How does SNMP manager know about existing SNMP agent

8. Fortress of Fear NEWSLETTER

9. Managing SNMP V3 Agent with a SNMP V2 manager

10. snmp agent and snmp manager

11. Why the snmp manager know a snmp agent is booted up ?

12. SunNet Manager SNMP Trap Daemon

13. SNMP TRAPs to SunNet Manager and HP Openview