SunNet Manger MIB Problems

Post by Jeff Tayl » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

All,

I am having a few problems compiling MIBs to work under SunNet Manger. I can
get the snmp-mibII that came with SunNet to work fine. Also, I can get the
MIBs from APC to compile & work without a problem.

But, I am having a problem getting other MIBs to work. I tried compiling MIBs
from both 3Com & Cabletron. The 3com MIBs compile okay, but I get "no data"
when I do a Quick Dump on most agents & groups. The Cabletron MIBS compile
with some errors & I get the same message "no data".

When sniffing the SNMP traffic, I have noticed several errors about "no such
name".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff Taylor

SunNet Manger MIB Problems

Post by Peter Marela » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> All,

> I am having a few problems compiling MIBs to work under SunNet Manger. I can
> get the snmp-mibII that came with SunNet to work fine. Also, I can get the
> MIBs from APC to compile & work without a problem.

> But, I am having a problem getting other MIBs to work. I tried compiling MIBs
> from both 3Com & Cabletron. The 3com MIBs compile okay, but I get "no data"
> when I do a Quick Dump on most agents & groups. The Cabletron MIBS compile
> with some errors & I get the same message "no data".

> When sniffing the SNMP traffic, I have noticed several errors about "no such
> name".

Turn authentication-traps on in the device, and set the trap host to the
IP of SNM console, on the device.

If you do not have read access setup properly with the right community
name, you will receive a authentication trap telling you so, from the
device.

If communities are wrong, and you arent receiving traps from the device,
you get "no data"..

If the remote device does not have an Object ID for the request, you
also get "no data".

You have to be wary of mibs/schema's, and the device you are querying,
since alot of the time the mibs are outdated and some of the requests
within the table will not be recognised by the device.

A good example of this is 3com chipcom mib's, where it includes a large
number of requests for various devices. Picking out which work for what
device is a nightmare. Understanding the data retrieved from the request
is also a nightmare.

Peter Marelas

SunNet Manger MIB Problems

Post by Thomas Nova » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>All,
>I am having a few problems compiling MIBs to work under SunNet Manger. I can
>get the snmp-mibII that came with SunNet to work fine. Also, I can get the
>MIBs from APC to compile & work without a problem.
>But, I am having a problem getting other MIBs to work. I tried compiling MIBs
>from both 3Com & Cabletron. The 3com MIBs compile okay, but I get "no data"
>when I do a Quick Dump on most agents & groups. The Cabletron MIBS compile
>with some errors & I get the same message "no data".
>When sniffing the SNMP traffic, I have noticed several errors about "no such
>name".
>Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Jeff Taylor

Jeff after you ran the mib2schema script that creates your schema and
oid information did you run the build_oid script to incorporate the
oid's into the oid database?

Cordially
_Thomas

      /\
     \\ \       Thomas Novak
    \ \\ /      SunNetworks, a Sun Microsystems Business
   / \/ / /     Network Management Consultant
  / /   \//\    2650 Park Tower Drive
  \//\   / /    Vienna, VA 22180-7306
   / / /\ /     Phone: 703.204.4884     Fax: 703.204.4766

     \ \\       Compuserve 73443,2671

1. Problems Installing IF-MIB into SunNet Manager

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to snmp still. I'm attempting to install IF-MIB into SunNet
Manager and I've been unsuccessful so far.

Here's what I've done:

1) Downloaded these files from ftp.cisco.com:

    /pub/mibs/schema/IF-MIB.schema
    /pub/mibs/oid/IF-MIB.oid

2) Copied the above files to $SNMHOME/agents

3) Reinitialized SunNet Manager using the following command:

    snm -i

4) Tested the new MIB by running a Quick Dump|IF-MIB|ifXTable on a Catalyst
5000 switch.

It never returns. The results window is blank. Have I missed a step?

Thank you,

Eric.

2. wts hp work stations in the uk

3. IF-MIB and SunNet Manager.

4. Seeking faster 2-D FFT

5. Help with hp mib in SunNet Manager....

6. VS97 and IE5 issues

7. SNMP MIB to SunNet schema format conversion

8. Where to get Colorsync profiles?

9. Help! MIB on cisco-router in SunNet Manager.

10. Sunnet Network Manager Mibs and mib compiling

11. getting fddi mib to work with SunNet Mgr

12. Problems with SunNet Mgr 2.0 in discovery mode

13. Problem with Data Reports in SunNet Manager 2.0