Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object sysObjectID?

Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object sysObjectID?

Post by Jun Lian » Sun, 06 May 2001 19:15:59

Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object sysObjectID? And
what is its value indeed?

Posted from [142.165.70.130] by way of f192.law15.hotmail.com [64.4.23.192]

Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object sysObjectID?

Post by Jim Jone » Sat, 12 May 2001 13:42:29

Not sure what you mean by "data type 'object id'". If you mean OBJECT
IDENTIFIER, that is a type of SNMP data. sysObjectID is a name for a scalar
value in the mib-2's system group. Sometimes those are called "types" until one
tacks on the instance part of the OID to become an actual variable instance
(e.g., sysObjectID.0). IMHO it is less confusing to think of sysObjectID as a
variable name since it is in one-to-one relation with sysObjectID.0 for a given
agent (to think of sysObjectID as a "type" is a theoretic point).

Anyway, sysObjectID.0 is the variable and you give it an OID value. Read
rfc1213 for more on this. I see values such as 0.0 (the null OID) for it. I
also see use of a leaf node (e.g. fooDevice) that shows up in some mib group of
"company products", with perhaps some numeric components tacked on to indicate
model or version number (e.g., fooDevice.1100.2). This latter idea works best
if your manager has that products mib at its disposal so that it can display
the name fooDevice.1100.2 instead of a more cryptic OID value like
enterprise.9999.1.10.1100.2.

Jim Jones