SNMPv2 versus IPSEC versus SSL versus Kerberos

SNMPv2 versus IPSEC versus SSL versus Kerberos

Post by Patrick Knig » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:56:53

Can enyone briefly sum up the differences (or pros and cons) between SNMP
v2, SSL, IPSEC and Kerberos?
Is there another major network security protocol other/better than these?

Thanks,

Patrick L. Knight

--
Posted from [63.85.115.10]

SNMPv2 versus IPSEC versus SSL versus Kerberos

Post by Lufan Che » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:22:47

Greetings,
Does anyone know whether and how ucd-snmp can be configured to serve as a
collection station for (HP Openview) Network Node Manager's management
station?   Any pointers will be helpfull.   Thanks.

Lufan Chen

Post by Lufan Che » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:42:05

Greetings,
Does anyone know whether and how ucd-snmp can be configured to serve as
collection station for (HP Openview) Network Node Manager's management
station?   Any pointers will be helpfull.   Thanks.

Lufan Chen

P.S. sorry if you see a similar posting twice - I post it in a wrong
mail mode.

SNMPv2 versus IPSEC versus SSL versus Kerberos

Post by Wes Hardake » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:58:20

Patrick> Can enyone briefly sum up the differences (or pros and cons)
Patrick> between SNMP v2, SSL, IPSEC and Kerberos?

Patrick> Is there another major network security protocol other/better
Patrick> than these?

I don't think you want to compare SNMPv2 to the rest of those.  The
rest of them are protection/authentication layers for TCP connections
where as SNMP v2 contains no authentication or protection services
in its usage of the UDP (default) protocol.

--
Wes Hardaker
NAI Labs

SNMPv2 versus IPSEC versus SSL versus Kerberos

Post by C. M. Hear » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:07:58

Patrick Knight asks:

Quote:> Can enyone briefly sum up the differences (or pros and cons) between SNMP
> v2, SSL, IPSEC and Kerberos?
> Is there another major network security protocol other/better than these?

Be aware that SNMPv2 with security (as defined in RFCs 1441-1452)
is obsolete.  Consider instead SNMPv3 (RFCs 2571-2576).  One of
its advantages over, say, SNMPv1 over IPSEC are that it provides
per-user authentication and access controls.

Being ignorant of the other stuff I cannot offer any other comments.

Mike

1. HP6200c versus X6EL versus P636 versus UMAX 2400s

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.scanners and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

 NOT

 The 6200, I had one and took it back, has a pseudo-SCSI. It can only be
at the end of the SCSI chain, the power must be on. I used an Adaptec
2940 UW; the 6200 was incompatable with my other SCSI devices - hard
drive, Jaz, Zip, CD ROM - and caused incorrect read/writes ro rhe hard
drive.

 Don't believe resolution claims.

 HP 6200 only has a 25 use version of the Caere software. ALL OCR
packages included with scanners are ::crap:: , light versions just don't
cut it even for the casual OCR user.

Alan

2. PIX Firewall Issue

3. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

4. XEmacs Editor FAQ [6/6]

5. BAADF00D from CreateEvent()???????

6. systray icon and Windows Service?

7. My particular RTOS dilemma: QNX 4 versus QNX Neutrino versus Pharlap ETS

8. PtolemyII versus SHIFT versus Hytech

9. SSL versus Kerberos

10. kerberos versus CCITT X.509