Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by Andy Wi » Fri, 20 Aug 1993 02:00:35

Hi,

I need to design a network management configuration for
a large network which will have at least 2 people managing
it.

Are there any mulit-user network management applications
available for SNMP management?  or is it possible to run
2 copies of (for example) SunNet Manager on the same box?

I obviously want to keep the number of polls in the network
to a minimum so I want to avoid having two workstations
each running their own copy of the management software.

Your advice will be appreciated

Andy Wise

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by Mark Morriss » Fri, 20 Aug 1993 03:22:03

>I need to design a network management configuration for
>a large network which will have at least 2 people managing
>it.
>Are there any mulit-user network management applications
>available for SNMP management?  or is it possible to run
>2 copies of (for example) SunNet Manager on the same box?

Actually, what you want is to have multiple views into the same
data.  This is what the Cabletron Spectrum product provides and
the current SunNet Manager does not.

With Spectrum, you have a data gathering engine called SpectroServer
and one or more display stations running SpectroGraph.  We are
pleased with this design and not pleased with the current SNM
implementation.  However, we use both at this site.

--mark
---
Mark Morrissey                    Intel Corp.
Senior Engineer                   Portland, Oregon  USA
SNMP/IP kinda guy                 +1 503 696 2068

"I don't speak for them.  They don't speak for me."

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by Jeremy Fichtn » Fri, 20 Aug 1993 03:41:37

>Hi,

>I need to design a network management configuration for
>a large network which will have at least 2 people managing
>it.

>Are there any mulit-user network management applications
>available for SNMP management?  or is it possible to run
>2 copies of (for example) SunNet Manager on the same box?

>I obviously want to keep the number of polls in the network
>to a minimum so I want to avoid having two workstations
>each running their own copy of the management software.

>Your advice will be appreciated

>Andy Wise

I am presently working on such a beast using SunNet Manager 2.0.  SNM does not support
multi users sharing a runtime data base (sigh...:-( ).  What we are doing is having the central host (our sparc10) running all the data requests, logging etc, and having
satelite Xterminals for other operators to look at the network.  As the run time data bases cannot be shared, an instance file of the main setup is created nightly for use
as a startup config for the satellites.  The instance file is put through a filter to
remove mail and data requests to avoid extra traffic.  The data logged by the main unit is viewd via the browser and graph tool.  This allows each satellite to keep current with the main process and allows operators to add their own private requests
as they need to.

This is the plan, I havent quite gotten to that phase in the project but it should
work :-).  If you want to chat Andy, drop me a note via the following address:

Regards,

Jeremy Fichtner
Network Analyst
Ministry of Transportaion and Hwys
Victoria, BC Canada

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by John Lau » Thu, 26 Aug 1993 01:06:00

>Are there any mulit-user network management applications
>available for SNMP management?  or is it possible to run
>2 copies of (for example) SunNet Manager on the same box?

UngermanBass' product can do this.  (At least the OS/2 version can, so I
would assume the Unix one can too.)

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by Christine Gressl » Thu, 26 Aug 1993 04:48:20

>>Are there any mulit-user network management applications
>>available for SNMP management?  or is it possible to run
>>2 copies of (for example) SunNet Manager on the same box?
>UngermanBass' product can do this.  (At least the OS/2 version can, so I
>would assume the Unix one can too.)

Which Ungermann-Bass product are you refering to?  UNIX Net Director?
UNIX Net Director is an application which runs on top of HP OpenView
for managing UB's hardware.  It does NOT fully support SNMP management of
UB equipment and i've been told by engineers that this is low priority.
It lacks most of the functionality of the OS/2 platform, which btw, uses PEP
courier on top of UDP and not SNMP.

Chris

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by Andy Wi » Thu, 26 Aug 1993 23:47:29

>>Are there any mulit-user network management applications
>>available for SNMP management?  or is it possible to run
>>2 copies of (for example) SunNet Manager on the same box?

Thank you all for your answers to this - both on the net &
mailed directly to me.

There are two common themes to the replys

1) Products that use a 'daemon' to poll the nodes & store the
   'status of this device' information.  They then use a separate
   user interface to query the daemon, and can thus support several
   user interfaces simultaneously

2) The SunNet Manager (or equivelent) writes to a database which can be
   queried by other users.

I am suprised by the number of products out there!  Given most people only
talk about Sun Net Manager & HP Open View.

Thanks for the help.

Andy Wise

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by John Lau » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 06:43:02

>>UngermanBass' product can do this.  (At least the OS/2 version can, so I
>>would assume the Unix one can too.)

>Which Ungermann-Bass product are you refering to?  UNIX Net Director?
>UNIX Net Director is an application which runs on top of HP OpenView
>for managing UB's hardware.  It does NOT fully support SNMP management of
>UB equipment and i've been told by engineers that this is low priority.
>It lacks most of the functionality of the OS/2 platform, which btw, uses PEP
>courier on top of UDP and not SNMP.

Like I said, I only knew the OS/2 version could.  From what I understand
it has a MIB compiler and can do SNMP, but don't have any personal
experience with it.  I assume you are referring to the Unix Net Director
when you say PEP courier on top of UDP and not SNMP.

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by SANDY BIR » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 05:22:00

  >1) Products that use a 'daemon' to poll the nodes & store the
  >   'status of this device' information.  They then use a separate
  >   user interface to query the daemon, and can thus support several
  >   user interfaces simultaneously
  >
  >2) The SunNet Manager (or equivelent) writes to a database which can be
  >   queried by other users.

Your original query indicated that you didn't want to send multiple poll
requests (one per invocation of the manager software) for the same device
registered in the database. Products using the daemon approach might
go ahead and do exactly this. If the SNMP daemon is not very intelligent and
is merely a common interface to the dispatch requests and receive polled data,
the daemon will end up sending as many poll requests per object in the database
as the number of manager sessions currently alive.

Quote:>I am suprised by the number of products out there!  Given most people only
>talk about Sun Net Manager & HP Open View.

You might also want to look at Hughes' Monet ver 5.1 that allows multiple
sessions to use a common management database.

>Andy Wise

---
S Ramakrishnan, CS Dept, McBryde Hall, VaTech, Virg.

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by Klaus Beck » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 22:24:33

|> >Which Ungermann-Bass product are you refering to?  UNIX Net Director?
|> >UNIX Net Director is an application which runs on top of HP OpenView
|> >for managing UB's hardware.  It does NOT fully support SNMP management of
|> >UB equipment and i've been told by engineers that this is low priority.
|> >It lacks most of the functionality of the OS/2 platform, which btw, uses PEP
|> >courier on top of UDP and not SNMP.
|>
|> Like I said, I only knew the OS/2 version could.  From what I understand
|> it has a MIB compiler and can do SNMP, but don't have any personal
|> experience with it.  I assume you are referring to the Unix Net Director
|> when you say PEP courier on top of UDP and not SNMP.

NetDirector UNIX is HP Openview with an application for management
of Access/One-Hubs and some Concentrators added via the "Application Builder".
NetDirector UNIX only supports SNMP as mangement protocol. That's why
the older UB-equipment which is only manageable with PEP is no longer supported.

NetDirector OS/2 supports both protocols. The UB-applications use PEP
(over XNS or IP) but there's a MIB-Compiler and MIB-Browser that allows
to set/get values and graph them if possible.

There are no "real" SNMP-based applications in NetDirector OS/2.

NetDirector OS/2 supports multiple user's on NetDirector OS/2-Clients
that connect to the Server. The Users can work on different Maps.

But isn't there anybody from UB to answer this questions?

(-:

Klaus

        IRA                     phone:  +49 721 608 3973
University of Karlsruhe         fax:    +49 721 69 92 84

Multi-User SNMP Management

Post by Aleksey Y. Roman » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 00:15:30

>  >1) Products that use a 'daemon' to poll the nodes & store the
>  >   'status of this device' information.  They then use a separate
>  >   user interface to query the daemon, and can thus support several
>  >   user interfaces simultaneously

>  >2) The SunNet Manager (or equivelent) writes to a database which can be
>  >   queried by other users.

>Your original query indicated that you didn't want to send multiple poll
>requests (one per invocation of the manager software) for the same device
>registered in the database. Products using the daemon approach might
>go ahead and do exactly this. If the SNMP daemon is not very intelligent and
>is merely a common interface to the dispatch requests and receive polled data,
>the daemon will end up sending as many poll requests per object in the database
>as the number of manager sessions currently alive.

>>I am suprised by the number of products out there!  Given most people only
>>talk about Sun Net Manager & HP Open View.

>You might also want to look at Hughes' Monet ver 5.1 that allows multiple
>sessions to use a common management database.

>>Andy Wise

>---
>S Ramakrishnan, CS Dept, McBryde Hall, VaTech, Virg.

IMHO, this thread did touched the very important problems of NMS side
of the Network Management: big network cannot be viewed through the single
screen.

As far as I know no one of the currently available commercial NMS systems
will allow several operators to work simultaneously, sharing
common base of information and representation.

The closest shot I saw was CMS6000 from Racal which will allow
four simultaneous logins from X-terminals.

I guess that the problem is general enough in order to look for a general
solution, isn't it ?

IMHO, the most natural architecture of NMS system can look
as follows: several operator screens (means cheap workstations) connected
to the NMS-central unit over LAN.

I guess that it is quite reasonable to look at the possibility to develop
a operator screen <----------> NMS-central protocol oriented toward
passing events and commands infromation between thees entities.

Opinions ????

I am interesting whetner DME is going to address this problem ?.

Aleksey

--
Aleksey Y. Romanov

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed are entirely my own and do not
necessary reflect those of my employer or anyone else

1. multi-user and multi-level database access

Hi
I want to protect my database against unauthorised data destruction
(Postgresql 7.2) I have some applications accesing database, each one
does other things and there is a lot of users using these applications.

Here is my solution:
- each application has one postgresql group (create group...)
- i have a lot of grants/revokes for these groups
- there is a table named "users" which contains logins, user names and
other useful information.
- after inserting a row to table "users", inside plpgsql function
I "create user <login>"
- for each application I "alter group application_group add user <login>"

My questions are:
- how to check if some postgresql user exists? I found them in table
pg_shadow, but selecting this table is legal?
- how to change postgresql user login? Do I have to drop/create user, or
I can update table pg_shadow?
- is it possible to revoke some privileges to all tables without listing
them? I want to revoke all trigger/references/rule to all users without
database owner.

And one additional question - not exactly to this list:
- did anyone compile libpq under MsWindows with ssl?

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

2. Sam Coupe Emulator

3. PPTP VPN +XBOX = Playing HALO multi-user over the internet

4. faxsvc.exe - Application Error

5. Beta Testing Opportunity (multi-user cordless phone)

6. Fundamental quest bout Flickering

7. Multi-user card for PC

8. Odd Keyboard Behavior

9. ROM monitor error --- Solved..Now boot in Multi-user mode.

10. Design ideas for a multi-user spreadsheet?

11. Tornado for Windows multi-user?

12. Multi-user Test Scripts