Intermitent SNMPWALK problem HELP!

Post by Gustave Eiffe » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:15:13

sometimes when I run snmpwalk it will fail before the run completes.  Other
times it will complete.

here is where it ends:

host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.3 = 6
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.4 = 103966
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.5 = 23494
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.6 = 0
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.101 = 309028
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.102 = 0
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageAllocationFailures.1 =
0
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageAllocationFailures.2 =
0
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageAllocationFailures.3 =
0
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageAllocationFailures.4 =
0
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageAllocationFailures.5 =
0
host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageAllocationFailures.6 =
0
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.769 = 769
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.1025 = 1025
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.1026 = 1026
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.1027 = 1027
Timeout: No Response from localhost

I have 6 machines all with redhat 7.1 and the same version of snmp.  Only 2
do this.

Any ideas?

All help appreciated

Post by Les Cargil » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:49:00

> sometimes when I run snmpwalk it will fail before the run completes.  Other
> times it will complete.

> here is where it ends:
<snip>
> I have 6 machines all with redhat 7.1 and the same version of snmp.  Only 2
> do this.

> Any ideas?

Have you adjusted the retries/timeout values on the client performing
SNMP requests?

Quote:

--
http://home.att.net/~lcargill

Intermitent SNMPWALK problem HELP!

Post by Gustave Eiffe » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:38:58

I have not.  How do you do this?

> > sometimes when I run snmpwalk it will fail before the run completes.
Other
> > times it will complete.

> > here is where it ends:
> <snip>
> > I have 6 machines all with redhat 7.1 and the same version of snmp.
Only 2
> > do this.

> > Any ideas?

> Have you adjusted the retries/timeout values on the client performing
> SNMP requests?

> > All help appreciated

> --
> http://home.att.net/~lcargill

Intermitent SNMPWALK problem HELP!

Post by Gustave Eiffe » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:09:08

Also I get this error message in my logs when I run snmpwalk:

Can't locate module block-major-3

Any ideas?

Post by Les Cargil » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:17:09

> I have not.  How do you do this?

Check the documentation for your snmp client.

--
http://home.att.net/~lcargill

Post by Dave Shiel » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:17:55

>> Have you adjusted the retries/timeout values on the client performing
>> SNMP requests?

 I have not.  How do you do this?

If you're using the 'snmpwalk' that ships with RedHat Linux,
then use the '-r' and '-t' flags:

        $ snmpwalk -h
             :
          -t <T>        set the request timeout to T.
          -r <R>        set the number of retries to R.

Dave

1. problems using snmpwalk

hi *

i'm having troubles using the commandline-tool snmpwalk.
if i'm executing the command "snmpwalk host public system"
from within a normal shell everything is fine, but if i'm
executing exact the same comamnd within an perl-script
i'm getting an timeout from the host i want to reach.

sounds easy. but it isn't. the host is there. everytime.
the command is the same. exactly the same. i can execute
the 2 commands within a timeframe from 1 second. one time
i'll get the data (within a shell) the other time i'll
get an timeout (within perl)

i've tried using system(), `` or open(TEST,"command |")
i'm always getting the timeout-errormessage.

what's wrong with this?

ps. i've tried this on HP-UX, Sun Solaris and Linux.
On every System. Exactly the same Troubles.

Can anyone help me please?

thanks a lot!

--
Life ain't fair, but the root password helps.

http://manito.at/

2. Boot time banner SUN logo?

3. THDpro11 intermitent ansi output to remote pc.

4. 500 Expansion Sale

5. Intermitent racer-x boot hangups

6. Toshiba XM-4101B question

7. Intermitent Type 11 errors

8. DIR/REG

9. toshiba misterius shotdown intermitent

10. snmpwalk Info

11. snmpwalk a device doesn't report all the OIDs available

12. **UPDATE** snmpwalk error: change the snmp get values

13. snmpwalk error: 'change the snmp get values'