Questions regarding how to handle unreliable traps in SNMPv?

Questions regarding how to handle unreliable traps in SNMPv?

Post by Carmody Quin » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to determine how most people workaround the issue of
unreliable traps in SNMP. I would very much appreciate if you could
answer some questions - I will post this to OpenNet's web page and will
provide anyone the results of this poll if you're interested. (Please
let me know whether or not I can use your name and/or your company name
in the posting of results)

How does your company provide a workaround on unreliable traps in SNMP
(please answer the following questions)

1) Approximately how many nodes do you manage in your network?
    a) under 100
    b) 100-500
    c) 500-1000
    d) 1000-5000
    e) 5000+

2) To make up for unreliable traps in SNMP our company does the
following:
    a) Doesn't worry about it
    b) Polls for reliability and use traps
    c) Polls for reliability and ignores traps
    d) Sends redundant traps
    e) Sends traps over a TCP session
    f) Uses a sequential number within the traps to determine if any
have been lost
    g) Another method - (please give an explanation)

Thanks very much

Carmody Quinn

* Carmody Quinn
* OpenNet Network Management
* 1-888-OpenNet
* 214-340-5204

* http://www.opennet.com/

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

1. Question Regarding In-Rip Trapping

I have been having some real problems with the trapping on the last
few editions of the product our company prints. I send a pagemaker
file with nothing but CMYK Tiffs and EPS files generated in
Illustrator and Freehand. The prepress has just recently (last seven
months or so) switched to a Scitex with in-rip trapping. The last job
they did for us was hideous; ugly white casts around the majority of
non-black text. The registration looked off by up to a point on some
parts.

Their head technician told me not to do *any* trapping from my end. I
was dubious to say the least. I usually work chokes on the text with
an overprint in both Illustrator and Freehand (the tiffs have always
printed very cleanly; no casts whatsoever). Our designs involve a lot
of text with drop shadow effects, or highlighted by an outlined text
block pasted in behind a solid text block. We use only process
colours, and now print at 133 lpi.

What I am wondering is (since the prepress we deal with seems very
confused and evasive about this subject) is there any point in my
placing trapping on all the text and lines from my end? Will the
in-rip trapping cancel what overprints I have set? Or do they not deal
well with EPS files, or EPS files in Pagemaker 6.5? When I did it
before manually (and ripped on their Agfa) the trapping was very
crisp. Should our company look into buying some inhouse software like
Trapwise, as opposed to dickering with chokes and spreads in
Illustrator/ Freehand? Or should the in-rip work well, and they are
just making errors from their end?

Any comments or input would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Bradner
WebPrint Design

(To reply by email, remove the 'NOTTHIS' from the address)

2. Lots of open files in sendmail 5.65+IDA-1.4.2

3. question regarding to lost traps

4. Lima and Dayton Hamfest

5. Regarding GDI and User Object Handle Table

6. MIF to MIB converters and agents

7. i want to know Regarding OID of variables defined in Enterprise specific traps

8. trap and handle %PDF error

9. trap handling

10. Handling cisco-traps by ucd-snmp

11. HP Network Node Manager problem handling trap

12. Simple MIB for handling a single trap.