Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object

Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object

Post by Liang J » Wed, 09 May 2001 10:19:29

Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object sysObjectID? and what is its value indeed?

Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object

Post by dperk.. » Sat, 12 May 2001 06:34:59

HI,

It looks like Brian was trying to simplify the answer, and I believe,
went too far.

In SNMP, and OBJECT IDENTIFIER is a data type. Another data type
in SNMP is Integer32. The values of data type OBJECT IDENTIFIER
are object identifer values. An object identifier value in SNMP
is a sequence of between 2 and 128 non-negative integers.

The data type for MIB object type sysObjectId is OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
and, thus, its value is an object identifier value.

Regards,
/david t. perkins

> > Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object sysObjectID? and what is its value indeed?

> objectid is a series of octets.  its that simple.

> it can be used for many things.  the 'sysOID' is an octet string that will
> describe something about the hardware or agent that is running.  think of
> OIDs as '#defines' in C, sort of like:

> #define "some.long.path.that.is.unique.to.my.mib"  "version 1.23 of chassis xyz"

> (well, taken loosely) ;-)

> so when you get an OID returned, you have to refer to the mib to see what its
> 'pointing' to.  usually in a vendor mib there are sections that talk about
> software agents, hardware types, etc.  usually when that agent is queried
> it will have a sysOID that can be compared against a known table (at the
> NMS) and perhaps the appropriate icon on a map would be chosen.

> but the OID =type= is not the same thing as the sysOID =variable=.  one is
> an example of the other.

> --
> My email addr can be found on my web page:  http://www.Grateful.Net/

>     Please DON'T send me email when you're posting a follow-up.

1. Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object sysObjectID?

Is the SNMP data type "object id" actually the MIB-2 object sysObjectID? And
what is its value indeed?

Posted from [142.165.70.130] by way of f192.law15.hotmail.com [64.4.23.192]

2. a new printer

3. Error SNMP "perceived" object id miscompare with "requested" id

4. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (1/7) [Frequent posting]

5. MIB with object "Host Resource MIB"

6. send all mail to dev/null?

7. "Objecting to Objects"

8. ANSI.SYS description

9. comp.object passes (885 "yes" to 21 "no")

10. SNMPv2 "Object Resource" Table and "AGENT-CAPABILITIES" macro.

11. Can't locate object method "Attach" via package "Mail::Sender"

12. !!!!!"""""IMPORTANTE"""""!!!!!

13. NamingService - "Object in NamingService is not expected type "