Problem with Data Reports in SunNet Manager 2.0

Problem with Data Reports in SunNet Manager 2.0

Post by 25833- Jim Hand(63 » Thu, 12 Nov 1992 03:22:25

        I'm in the process of moving from SunNet Manager 1.2 to 2.0,
and I'm having problems getting Data Reports working with enterprise
MIBs.  When I try to kick off a data report with an enterprise MIB,
I get an error message like the one below:

Error: Request encBox:
  Agent error: agent error 0: cannot find group: "encBox" in
schema: "snmp" or default schema: "snmp-mibII"

The encBox group in the above error message is from the ODS ethernet
hub mib.  The schema file for this MIB loads fine when the SNM Console
starts, and the Quick Dump and Event Report facilites work fine
with this MIB.  With SunNet Manager 1.2, Data Reporting also worked with
the ODS enterprise MIB.
        The error message suggests that the Data Report mechanism is
sending incorrect information to the snmp proxy agent, because the
"snmp" schema mentioned in the error message is NOT the schema that
the encBox group resides in.  Also, the schema mentioned in the error
message above is not consistently "snmp".  Sometimes another (but
still incorrect) enterprise schema is mentioned in the error message:

Error: Request encBox:
  Agent error: agent error 0: cannot find group: "encBox" in
schema: "ciscoMmib" or default schema: "snmp-mibII"

        Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?  Thanks
in advance.

Jim Hand                                Bellcore
(908)699-4251                           3 Corporate Pl.

Problem with Data Reports in SunNet Manager 2.0

Post by Allan Leinwa » Tue, 17 Nov 1992 15:05:57

Quote:>Error: Request encBox:
>  Agent error: agent error 0: cannot find group: "encBox" in
>schema: "ciscoMmib" or default schema: "snmp-mibII"

>    Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?  Thanks
>in advance.

Hello Jim,

   This question should most likely be addressed with SunConnect, but
I'll be willing to give it my best shot.  1) SNM 1.2 uses a file
called /var/adm/anm/snmp.hosts.  This file may not be needed anymore
if you can query the proxy host directly.  I would check to make sure
that the default schema in this file for the host you are setting up a
Data Report is correct.  Ideally, if you can, remove this file as SNM
2.0 does not need it anymore.  2) Make sure that the Property sheet
for the device you are setting up the Data Report for has all the
appropriate schemas checked.  Let's say that the group encBox exists
in the enc MIB.  Make sure you have the enc box checked on the device
you are trying to query.

   If you still cannot figure out your problem, I would contact SunConnect
directly.  By the way, I think there is a SNM users mailing list
somewhere for these types of issues (again, ask Sun :-).

Thanks,

Allan Leinwand
cisco Systems
(415) 688-7653

1. SunNet Manager 2.0 Help needed about Octet Strings

Hi folks,

Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup for this, but I couldn't find a better
one.

Here is my problem :

We're using SunNet Manager version 2.0 and we did hit something that seems
to be a major bug. We are working on a project for which we designed our own
private MIB. A lot of our MIB variables are of type OCTET STRING. So far,
so good. Now it seems impossible, with SNM 2.0, to set properly such a
variable. What happens is either SNM says our input format is invalid
(we're entering sets of 2 digits values separated by blanks), or, when it
accepts our entry, if we're issuing a GET immediatly afterward, the value
displayed is not even close to what we entered (but, neither is it the
 previous one).
We did some digging and dumped a few frames issued by SNM, and it is weird
(sometimes it inserts blanks (0x20) every 2 bytes, sometimes not).

If you want to test this bug, try setting the variable ipNetToMediaPhysAddress
in the table ipNetToMediaTable, from the MIB II.

The documentation has been no help there (nowhere does it say what is the
input format expected for Octet String variables) and so far we did get very
few attention from SunSoft (surprising, he! ;-)

Does anybody know what's going here ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, I'll post a summary if I do get anything useful.

Thanx in advance,

-- Jean-Christophe (aka "Jessie")

2. support@bentley.com

3. Problems with SunNet Mgr 2.0 in discovery mode

4. what server ?

5. Problems Installing IF-MIB into SunNet Manager

6. SetTabOrder

7. snmp/sunnet manager problems

8. Problem with using SunNet Manager

9. Job - Campaign Manager, Contract Manager, Campaign Analyst, and Data Manager

10. One Manager reports to Managers - Only one connection line allowed

11. Cavo 2.0 Prof. Report problem ORQ:Open()

12. Evaluation (testing) of SunNet Manager network management tool---HELP