SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB and SNMP-TARGET-MIB in a v2c agent

SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB and SNMP-TARGET-MIB in a v2c agent

Post by Vince Jacobs » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:37:06

I have implemented functionality in our v2c agent to set IP addresses
to receive SNMP trap notifications using a simple table in a
proprietary MIB. I have been asked to modify this to use a more
standard approach such as using the SNMP Target Tables and the SNMP
Notification Tables (from SNMP-TARGET-MIB and SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB,
rfc 2573). We do NOT have a requirement to use v3 now but at some time
in the future could. I investigated and could not identify any reason
that the use of these MIBS for a v2c Agent might violate standards. I
took a look at the ucd net-snmp toolkit and found that they use the
SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB and the SNMP-TARGET-MIB for defining trap
notifications even when configured for v2c. I was able to configure a
simple case in v2c requiring three tables. The snmpNotifyTable from
the SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB and the snmpTargetAddrTable and
snmpTargetParamsTable from the SNMP-TARGET-MIB. Below are the results
from querying the tables with one defined trap destination.

The snmpNotifyTable contains:
SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB::snmpNotifyTag.'internal0' = STRING: internal0
SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB::snmpNotifyType.'internal0' = INTEGER: trap(1)
SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB::snmpNotifyStorageType.'internal0' = INTEGER:
readOnly(5)
SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB::snmpNotifyRowStatus.'internal0' = INTEGER:
active(1)

The snmpTargetParamsTable contains:
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetParamsMPModel.'internal0' = INTEGER: 1
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetParamsSecurityModel.'internal0' = INTEGER:
2
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetParamsSecurityName.'internal0' = STRING:
public
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetParamsSecurityLevel.'internal0' = INTEGER:
noAuthNoPriv(1)
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetParamsStorageType.'internal0' = INTEGER:
readOnly(5)
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetParamsRowStatus.'internal0' = INTEGER:
active(1)
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpUnavailableContexts.0 = Counter32: 0
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpUnknownContexts.0 = Counter32: 0

The snmpTargetAddrTable contains:
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetSpinLock.0 = INTEGER: 0
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrTDomain.'internal0' = OID:
SNMPv2-TM::snmpUDPDomain
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrTAddress.'internal0' = Hex-STRING: 9B
E2 3D 48 00 B7
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrTimeout.'internal0' = INTEGER: 0
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrRetryCount.'internal0' = INTEGER: 0
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrTagList.'internal0' = STRING: internal0
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrParams.'internal0' = STRING: internal0
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrStorageType.'internal0' = INTEGER:
readOnly(5)
SNMP-TARGET-MIB::snmpTargetAddrRowStatus.'internal0' = INTEGER:
active(1)

This seems to be the minimum requirement for defining a trap
destination using these tables. There is a lot in these MIBS that only
apply to v3 so some of the OID's may default to acceptable values and
may not need to be defined.  To add a second trap destination entry
all three tables must be updated. I added a second trap destination
and it took 21 snmp sets which does seem cumbersome.

Since these MIBS are written for v3 does using these tables in this
manner for a v2c agent violate any standards? Are there any reasons
why I should not do this?  One benefit will be that when/if we do go
to v3 we will already have these MIBS implemented.

Vince

Post by Juergen Schoenwaelde » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 00:10:14

> Since these MIBS are written for v3 does using these tables in this
> manner for a v2c agent violate any standards? Are there any reasons
> why I should not do this?  One benefit will be that when/if we do go
> to v3 we will already have these MIBS implemented.

It was a design goal to define an architecture which can integrate
SNMPv1/SNMPv2c and SNMPv3. All the infrastructure MIBs are thus also
important for SNMPv1/SNMPv2c, especially if you also implement
RFC 2576.

Quote:> To add a second trap destination entry all three tables must be updated.
> I added a second trap destination and it took 21 snmp sets which does
> seem cumbersome.

You can of course set a list of variables in a single request...

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>

1. Integrating OSPF MIB into VxWorks SNMP V1/V2c

VxWorks Greetings!

  I have the WRS SNMP & OSPF implementations and I'm trying
to ge the OSPF MIB into the SNMP MIB on the target.  I
execute the:

-> snmpdTreeAdd("1.3.6.1.2.1.14",  &ospf_mib)
value = 0 = 0x0

and get a success status.  However, the OSPF MIB info doesn't
show up when I walk the MIB tree.  Anyone got any clues to
this behavior that they'd care to share?

TIA,

Mike
       T h e   P T R   G r o u p,   I n c.
       Embedded, Real-Time Solutions and Training

Chief Scientist           http://www.ThePTRGroup.com
V: (703) 585-9384         F: (703) 430-3748
"Software development is like making a baby...
 You can't make a baby in one month by impregnating
 nine women.  Some things just take time."

2. Apollo 700 and ethernet

3. WindNet MIB compiler and Emissary SNMP MIB Compiler

4. NS2.02, 4.04, 4.61 and tables

5. mib(rfcxxxx.mib) addition question(windnet snmp)

6. MUXserver 300 port continuously connected after KEA exit

7. SNMP MIB Compiler and proprietary MIB development for QNX

8. PCL pages

9. MG-SOFT SNMP MIB Browser Professional Edition with MIB Compiler for Linux

10. mib(rfcxxxx.mib) addition question(windnet snmp)

11. CMIP Mib to SNMP Mib convertor

12. SNMP using Sun Cluster Mib with UCD-SNMP 4.2

13. which snmp software can I access MIB objects except system and snmp?