Trying to use SNMPUTIL from NT ResKit: "error on SnmpMgrRequest 40"

Trying to use SNMPUTIL from NT ResKit: "error on SnmpMgrRequest 40"

Post by Kevin Weinric » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to use Microsoft's Knowledge Base Article ID: Q139488
  http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q139/4/88.htm
to make Performance Monitor variables available through SNMP.

I run Perf2Mib successfully, and *think* I modified the Registry
properly.  However, when I run SNMPUTIL (just as in their example,
replacing "agent" with the NT node I'm on, it takes a long time,
then returns "error on SnmpMgrRequest 40".

Now, some part of this is working correctly, because I can use
UCD-SNMP to read *some* of the variables from a remote machine.
But I can't read others.

Any tips, pointers, etc. welcome.
--
Kevin Weinrich
Senior Systems Analyst           ph: 706-355-8400

Post by Khanh C Nguy » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

: I'm trying to use Microsoft's Knowledge Base Article ID: Q139488
:   http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q139/4/88.htm
: to make Performance Monitor variables available through SNMP.

: I run Perf2Mib successfully, and *think* I modified the Registry
: properly.  However, when I run SNMPUTIL (just as in their example,
: replacing "agent" with the NT node I'm on, it takes a long time,
: then returns "error on SnmpMgrRequest 40".

I'm not sure if you're trying to use SNMPUTIL to query (set/get) or listen
to traps.  -Since you need to specify an agent, let's assume you're doing
a get/set request.

1) Make sure your SNMP service startup correctly (If WinNT, look in the
event logger for errors.)
2) Ensure correct node address used for the Agent parameter.  Try
specifying "localhost".
3) For the community name, use the specific name to the agent you're
querying, or else use "public"

A good way to test that your SNMP service is running properly is to run
the following command:

snmputil walk localhost public .1.3.6.1.4.1

A hole list of variables should appear.  Substitute the OID for one of
yours.

Khanh C. Nguyen

Live and Let Live.  Sometimes the Struggle is more
important then the Result.  Peace my friend.