Announcement: MIB Smithy Visual MIB Designer for Windows/Unix

Announcement: MIB Smithy Visual MIB Designer for Windows/Unix

Post by Michael Kirkha » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 17:05:42

Muonics has this week has announced the release of version 1.0 of MIB
Smithy MIB Designer/Editor/Compiler product and has made it available
for purchase and evaluation.

MIB Smithy is Windows and Unix software product for SNMP developers, MIB
designers and internet-draft authors.  The tool is designed to accelerate
the development process by providing an easy to use GUI-based environment
for designing, editing and compiling SNMP MIB specifications without
worrying about particular SMI syntax and formatting concerns in the
process.

Significant Features:

* Import/Export SMIv1 MIB Modules (RFCs 1065, 1212, 1215)
* Import/Export SMIv2 MIB Modules (RFCs 2576, 2578, 2579, 2580)
* Import/Export MOSY .defs file format; generate MIB Module(s) from a
  .defs file.
* Automatic MIB extraction from text files/RFC documents
* Built-in Compiler/Validation tool
* Work concurrently on as many MIB Modules or MIB Files as you want
* Automatic SMI syntax checking and error correction
* Explorer-style project manager for quick navigation and selection
* Preview changes to individual modules or whole files with
  context-sensitive highlighting
* Properties organized in easy to navigate tabbed pages
* Extensive filters make finding the right data type, record name, OID,
  etc. easy
* Automatic Object Identifier Value assignment
* Built-in filesystem explorer tied into project management
* Customizable GUI Layout, Panel Size, Hide/Show GUI Components

Version 1.0 of MIB Smithy focuses primarily on the MIB creation and
design aspects of the product, with its visual user environment, and the
ability to compile to (and import from) MOSY file formats and detect
and correct parse-level errors.  Future updates to the product will
include significant new features in the area of compiling and integration
with other tools, with native support for other file formats such as XML
as well as allowing the user to work with custom file formats such as
those used by specific NMS applications or generate source code usable
with the user's choice of SNMP development libraries.

Further information, including pricing and licensing information, as
well as a downloadable 15-day limited evaluation can be obtained from
the Muonics website at www.muonics.com and/or the MIB Smithy Product
Information page at:

http://www.muonics.com/Products/MIBSmithy/

Questions/comments should be directed to sales-at-muonics.com or
support-at-muonics.com.  Thanks.

---
Michael Kirkham
Muonics
http://www.muonics.com/

Announcement: MIB Smithy Visual MIB Designer for Windows/Unix

Post by nobod » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:00:17

Michael Kirkham

Quote:> MIB Smithy is Windows and Unix software product for SNMP developers, MIB
> designers and internet-draft authors.  The tool is designed to accelerate
> the development process by providing an easy to use GUI-based environment
> for designing, editing and compiling SNMP MIB specifications without
> worrying about particular SMI syntax and formatting concerns in the
> process.

> Significant Features:

> * Import/Export SMIv1 MIB Modules (RFCs 1065, 1212, 1215)

That should be RFCs 1155, 1212, 1215

Quote:> * Import/Export SMIv2 MIB Modules (RFCs 2576, 2578, 2579, 2580)

That should be RFCs 2578, 2579, 2580

<snip>

nobody

Announcement: MIB Smithy Visual MIB Designer for Windows/Unix

Post by Michael Kirkha » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 00:31:45

says...

Quote:> > * Import/Export SMIv1 MIB Modules (RFCs 1065, 1212, 1215)

> That should be RFCs 1155, 1212, 1215

Actually, it supports both (1065 and most definitely 1155), primarily for
conversion/upgrade purposes.  Thanks for pointing out that omission from
the text.

Quote:> > * Import/Export SMIv2 MIB Modules (RFCs 2576, 2578, 2579, 2580)

> That should be RFCs 2578, 2579, 2580

RFC 2576 contains rules governing the conversion of MIB Module
definitions from SMIv1 to SMIv2 (see section 2.1, so it seems pretty
reasonable to me that it be included when talking about exporting to
SMIv2.

Thanks

---
Michael Kirkham