snmp/sunnet manager problems

Post by Mycal Johns » Wed, 13 May 1992 09:40:14

I have been using SunNet Manager 1.2 for a while now, not to say that it
has gone smoothly, but I have been able to find work arounds or solutions
for most of my problems.  But now I have one that I can't figure out, and
I was wondering if anyone out there has seen, or knows a solution to
this problem.

We added another group to our mib,  at current time it only has one
entry.  The problem is that SunNet Manager won't generate a proper
set-request.  It does a get-requst fine.  But when I issue a Set, SunNet
Manager forgets to put the Object ID of the requested variable in the
packet.  It only happens on this one entry.

At this time we have defined   {netronix 1} and {netronix 2} only (not
including {netronix 20} which is the problem group).

If I place extra dummy variables in the group and send a Set request,
no matter what order I add Items to set to the list, the first one is
always left out. (ie if I add netronix.20.2, netronix.20.1 in that order,
netronix.20.2 is left out).

Is this a bug?  or am I doing somthing wrong?  the following is an excerpt
of the offending group in standard mib form and SunNet Manager Schema form:

-- remote statistics group
netSnmpConfig    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= {netronix 20}

snmpTrapsEnabled OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX INTEGER {
                enabled(1),
                disabled(2)
        }
        ACCESS read-write
        STATUS mandatory
        DESCRIPTION
                "Trap Reporting, enabled(1) or disabled(2),  if var
                is disabled, no traps will be sent.  If enabled then traps
                will be sent.  This variable takes presidents over
                snmpEnableAuthenTraps (ie. snmpEnableAuthenTraps is only
                relivent when this var is enabled.)"
        ::= {netSnmpConfig 1}

-- end
END

        group   netSnmpConfig
        description "(null)"
        characteristics "-K NONE"
        (
                readwrite enum snmpTrapsEnabledE        snmpTrapsEnabled
                description     "Trap Reporting, enabled(1) or disabled(2),  if var
                is disabled, no traps will be sent.  If enabled then traps
                will be sent.  This variable takes presidents over
                snmpEnableAuthenTraps (ie. snmpEnableAuthenTraps is only
                relivent when this var is enabled.)"
                characteristics "-N snmpTrapsEnabled -O 1.3.6.1.4.1.213.20.1 -T INTEGER -A RW -X equal -F 0"

        )

thanx in advance
mycal

----                 ----

  ---- Netronix Inc.   ----               -or- uunet!netronix!mycal
   ---- (707) 769-3318  ----
    ----                 ----     Why ask Why = Don't think, just drink

1. SNMP agent and SunNet manager

On Solaris, standard SNMP agent demon snmpd is started with
configuration file
snmpd.conf.  Is is true that I can change this standard SNMP agent to
use different port other 161 by modify the file /etc/services in the
following line
snmp           161/udp
snmp            any_available_port/udp

and to change the port which SunNet manager uses to talk to the
SNMP agent, all I have to do is modify the file /etc/inet/inetd.conf
Change
snmp.snmp/10   tli   rpc/udp  wait   root
/opt/SUNWconn/snm/agents/na.snmp na.snmp
snmp.snmp/10   tli   rpc/udp  wait   root
/opt/SUNWconn/snm/agents/na.snmp na.snmp  port #

But this will make SunNet manager talks to all agents through this port?

thanks for any help.

Bryan

2. RESULTS: C++ file extension survey

3. SunNet Manager SNMP Trap Daemon

4. Weird form handling...HELP!!!

5. SNMP TRAPs to SunNet Manager and HP Openview

6. Sloooooooooow JAVA debugging (CW8.0, OS9.2.2)

7. SunNet Manager 2.2 with SCO TCP/IP (SNMP)

8. SunNet Manager performance under heavy snmp polling loads

9. Question about SunNet Manager (SNMP product of Sun MicroSystems).

10. Analysis tools for SunNet Manager SNMP statistics

11. Problems Installing IF-MIB into SunNet Manager

12. Problem with Data Reports in SunNet Manager 2.0