Can SunNet Mgr manage a Motorola/Codex 3512 CSU/DSU?

Can SunNet Mgr manage a Motorola/Codex 3512 CSU/DSU?

Post by Steve Castellar » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

I have 2 of these units here, and I'd like to see if SunNet can manage/receive
traps from them; for instance, circuit up/down, etc..  Does anyone know if
this is possible?

steve

Post by Dan Bry » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I have 2 of these units here, and I'd like to see if SunNet can
manage/receive
> traps from them; for instance, circuit up/down, etc..  Does anyone know if
> this is possible?

> steve

Sounds like you need a proxy agent.  the problem is the proxy will
probably cost more than your CSU's and and will require a workstation to
run on.  Unless you have alot of CSU's and DSU's the proxy approach is
cost prohibitive.  You may want to talk to S-Tel at 713-216-6969 they may
have one developed.

Post by Bob Pierpoin » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I have 2 of these units here, and I'd like to see if SunNet can manage/receive
>traps from them; for instance, circuit up/down, etc..  Does anyone know if
>this is possible?

>steve

Yes, this should not be a problem. SNM is an enterprise Management
Platform, and as such can manage any SNMP compliant device ( I am
assuming that the CSU/DSU's support SNMP). If they do then you should be
able to get MIB-2 Management information out of them. If you want
product specific information you will have to load the vendors MIB into
the SNM System.

Even if you do not load the vendor MIB, specify the SNM machine as a
Trap Receiver and you should receive traps in their raw oid form
(1.3.6.1.4.x.x.etc).
--
Bob Pierpoint
Pinhead Solutions Ltd,

Post by Kenneth Littletre » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I have 2 of these units here, and I'd like to see if SunNet can manage/receive
>traps from them; for instance, circuit up/down, etc..  Does anyone know if
>this is possible?

>steve

I'm sure that there is a proxy available at a price.  if you get
it and get it working please , please let me know,  codex 9800
leaves some to be desired