SET snmp cmu questio

Post by Grzegorz Mackiewic » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

hello

Using cmu snmp under linux I've got a problem using set command. I mean
I can set only a few variables (such as system.sysLocation.0
system.sysName.0, system.sysContact.0) whereas the others (read-write
variables, i.e ip.ipDefaultTTL.0 and ip.ipForwarfing.0) return me 'no
such variable in MIB' error (though I can inspect them via snmpget) or
give me no error, but the variables are not set.
I know the three system variables are stored in /etc/snmpd.conf file.
Does that mean I cannot set any other variable or am I missing
something?

regards
Grzegorz Mackiewicz

SET snmp cmu questio

Post by Miles Lot » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Did you set a write community?

> hello
> Using cmu snmp under linux I've got a problem using set command. I mean
> I can set only a few variables (such as system.sysLocation.0
> system.sysName.0, system.sysContact.0) whereas the others (read-write
> variables, i.e ip.ipDefaultTTL.0 and ip.ipForwarfing.0) return me 'no
> such variable in MIB' error (though I can inspect them via snmpget) or
> give me no error, but the variables are not set.
> I know the three system variables are stored in /etc/snmpd.conf file.
> Does that mean I cannot set any other variable or am I missing
> something?
> regards
> Grzegorz Mackiewicz

SET snmp cmu questio

Post by Juergen Schoenwaelde » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: Using cmu snmp under linux I've got a problem using set command. I mean
: I can set only a few variables (such as system.sysLocation.0
: system.sysName.0, system.sysContact.0) whereas the others (read-write
: variables, i.e ip.ipDefaultTTL.0 and ip.ipForwarfing.0) return me 'no
: such variable in MIB' error (though I can inspect them via snmpget) or
: give me no error, but the variables are not set.
: I know the three system variables are stored in /etc/snmpd.conf file.
: Does that mean I cannot set any other variable or am I missing
: something?

The Linux CMU agent current does not allow set operations on ipDefaultTTL
and ipForwarding. The agent returns a noSuchName response as described
in RFC 1157, section 4.1.5 step (1).
                                                        Juergen
--

Technical University Braunschweig, Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany.        (Tel. +49 531 / 391 3283)

SET snmp cmu questio

Post by Grzegorz Mackiewic » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> : Using cmu snmp under linux I've got a problem using set command. I mean
> : I can set only a few variables (such as system.sysLocation.0
> : system.sysName.0, system.sysContact.0) whereas the others (read-write
> : variables, i.e ip.ipDefaultTTL.0 and ip.ipForwarfing.0) return me 'no
> : such variable in MIB' error (though I can inspect them via snmpget) or
> : give me no error, but the variables are not set.
> : I know the three system variables are stored in /etc/snmpd.conf file.
> : Does that mean I cannot set any other variable or am I missing
> : something?

> The Linux CMU agent current does not allow set operations on ipDefaultTTL
> and ipForwarding. The agent returns a noSuchName response as described
> in RFC 1157, section 4.1.5 step (1).
>                                                         Juergen

OK then. What variables are allowed to be set using cmu (except for
sysLocation, sysName, sysContact)?

regards
Grzegorz Mackiewicz

SET snmp cmu questio

Post by Juergen Schoenwaelde » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: OK then. What variables are allowed to be set using cmu (except for
: sysLocation, sysName, sysContact)?

A grep for "write_method.*=" in apps/*.c shows:

        setSerialNo
        snmpEnableAuthenTraps

I think that some older versions actually allowed more write operations,
but we removed write support for some objects because of ever changing
kernel interfaces.
                                                        Juergen