Introductory ''Logic for Computer Scientists'' texts

Introductory ''Logic for Computer Scientists'' texts

Post by Jussi Rintan » Thu, 02 Sep 1993 19:19:55

1 and 1/2 weeks ago I asked about textbooks about logic for undergraduate
CS students. I got several responses by email, the result of which is
the following list of textbooks.

1 Causey, R. L.
  Logic, sets, and recursion, Jones and Bartlett, 1993 (or 1994).

2 Dowsing, R. D. and Rayward-Smith, V. J.
  A first course in formal logic and its applications in computer science,
  Oxford, 1986, Blackwell.

3 Gallier, J. H.
  Logic for computer science: Foundations of automatic theorem proving,
  1986, Wiley.

4 Galton, A.
  Logic for information technology, 1990, Wiley.

5 Lalement, R.
  Computation as logic, 1993, Masson and Prentice Hall.
  (Translated from "Logique, Reduction, Resolution", 1990, Masson)

6 Nerode, A.? and Shore, ?., Logic for Applications(?), 1993, Springer-Verlag.

7 Reeves, S. and Clarke, M.
  Logic for computer science, 1990, Addison-Wesley.

8 Sch\"oning, U.
  Logic for computer scientists, Boston, 1989,  Birkhauser.

9 Sperschneider, V. and Antoniou, G.
  Logic: A foundation for computer science, 1991, Addison-Wesley.

Only two of the answers expressed opinion about a book, but because
I cannot substantiate the claims, I do not repeat them here.
The use of standard logic texts instead of any ''logic for computer
scientists'' book was suggested in one of the comments.
As an example of such the following book was mentioned.

10  G. Boolos and R. Jeffrey, Computability and logic,
    (2nd edition 1980, 3rd edition 1989), Cambridge University Press.

1. Introductory 'logic for CS students' textbooks sought

Recommendations, pointers to published reviews and other information
sought! I have the books by J. H. Gallier ("Logic for Computer Science:
Foundations of Automatic Theorem Proving", Wiley, 1987) and
S. Reeves & M. Clarke ("Logic for Computer Science", Addison-Wesley 1990).
What other books there are, what do they contain, and what are they like?
The intended use is for a one semester course (12*2h of lectures
and 12*2h of demonstration/exercises) with an audience consisting
of undergraduate CS students.

To minimize postings, answer me by email: I'll post a summary after
a week and a half.

Jussi Rintanen
(Helsinki U. of Technology, CS Department)

2. FS: Casio CZ Series RAM Cartridges

3. Computer Scientists - prove that you determine what can and can't be done with computers!

4. displaying other language in communicator/2

5. ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

6. Q: Organic robot legs, anyone?

7. Do you remember 'Dragonhold' or 'Dungeons 2' on the QL?

8. ANN: Embedded Automotive Seminar in Michigan

9. Does anyone have 'World Games' and/or 'Fireflash'?

10. 'Cheatahs Exploits' and 'Steel Yard Blues'

11. Wanted: 'Paris Dakar' and 'Emilio Sanches'

12. Young's effect computer in New Scientist - possible?