ACM Fellows

Post by Alwyn E Goodl » Sat, 05 Mar 1994 21:21:04

  In the March CACM there is a list of the acm fellows. Can anyone
explain the absence of Tony Hoare from the list. All other living Turing
winners are there. Is this a printing error or a gross oversite?
Obviously Hoare's name belongs there.

Alwyn Goodloe

ACM Fellows

Post by SHUKLA SANDE » Tue, 08 Mar 1994 01:08:24

Quote:>  In the March CACM there is a list of the acm fellows. Can anyone
>explain the absence of Tony Hoare from the list. All other living Turing
>winners are there. Is this a printing error or a gross oversite?
>Obviously Hoare's name belongs there.
>Alwyn Goodloe

I hope this is a printing mistake. If not then it is dishonor to all the
ACM fellows.

1. Stop the flame wars and support our fellow users

In regards to all the "flame" wars and arguments relating to our
beloved classic computers I have the following to say.

I find it strange that the classic computer users have decided to
argue among themselves and carry on a battle to determine who produced
the best classic computer.  This is a battle that has no merit as it
comes down to opinion and personal preference.  The reason that so
many different types of computers were produced, was so that all of us
no matter what our preference, could find something that would suit us
and meet our individual needs.

I used several different types of computers while I was growing up and
can honestly say that none of them were better or worse than another.
They were all very different, but each was capable in its own unique
way.  Some of the more advanced designs were very powerful in their
own right, but I chose my personal favorites based on personal needs,
likes, and what I knew.

Ultimately it does come down to what we know,  we will often claim
that one machine is more capable than another simply because we know
more about it and are able to write better programs for this platform
because of our better understanding of the platform.  Someone else may
be able to write an equally impressive program for another platform
but not for ours, simply because their knowledge in that platform is
greater than the knowledge they have for our platform.  Often it is
not which machine is more capable, but the effort of the programmer on
a specific platform.  This is proven by the number of programs I've
seen on machines considered to be technologically inferior which look
just as impressive as the same or similar title on a machine which is
stated to possess higher capabilities.

My point is, instead of arguing among ourselves, we should be
supporting each other.  If we don't support each other, who will?
Consider the direction of the computer industry, wouldn't it be better
to agree that we all have our individual preferences and support each
other so that we can extend the usefulness of all classic computers.
If you want to argue with someone, argue with the software developers,
and programmers who have decided that our beloved classics are
obsolete and incapable and show them that there is still a huge
presence and a huge collective community to be reckoned with.  Show
them that we can all work as one huge group and that together we out
number the machines for which they currently sell to.  Show them that
we are still here and strong, show them that they have missed out,
show them that we are united and loyal, a characteristic uncommon in
the new industry.  If you must prove something to someone, prove it to
the ones who have turned their back on us.

Stop fighting among ourselves, if we continue to fight among
ourselves, we only serve to diminish support for our classics and
decrease our own numbers.

Thank you,

Michael Hunter

2. eCS problem - Can't Drag-n-Drop

3. Searching for fellow programers

4. Those darned ascii characters

5. Question to all fellow T1000 users

6. A2000 expansion slot adaptors

7. Goodnight Fellow Tandyites

8. can read Access '97 tables from FP2K but can't write

9. Stop the flame wars and support our fellow users

10. Research Fellow position in Australia

11. Santa Fe Institute Fellows-at-Large 2001

12. Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Warwick

13. Research Fellow in Model Checking