"Fat" and "Thin" Clients

Post by James K. Richter Jr » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Could someone please tell me what is a "thin" client and what is a "fat"
client?

Thanks.

"Fat" and "Thin" Clients

Post by Eric Friedm » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Could someone please tell me what is a "thin" client and what is a "fat"
>client?

>Thanks.

The definitions are loose, but basically define where the business logic resides.

In a fat client, most of the logic is in the client. This is typical of 2-tier
systems such as PowerBuilder.

In a thin client, only the presentation layer resides in the client. A web
browser is a good example.

Eric

"Fat" and "Thin" Clients

Post by G Moo » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998 02:24:08 GMT, "James K. Richter Jr."

>Could someone please tell me what is a "thin" client and what is a "fat"
>client?

ok, here's my view of it:

to think thin client, think keystrokes and 4k memory total.

to think fat client, think the server can send RPCs to
the client, or the client handles most of the processing.

"Fat" and "Thin" Clients

Post by Paul Ilechk » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> >Could someone please tell me what is a "thin" client and what is a "fat"
> >client?
> to think thin client, think keystrokes and 4k memory total.

I've yet to see a web browser than can run in 4K ...

        Paul.

***************

Paul Ilechko
http://www.transarc.com/~pilechko/homepage.htm

"Fat" and "Thin" Clients

Post by James Gilma » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Could someone please tell me what is a "thin" client and what is a "fat"
> client?

> Thanks.

FAT means processing power and Large hard drive.  Thin most of the work
is done on the server.

"Fat" and "Thin" Clients

Post by John A. Weisskop » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

Free Seminars held Monthly in the San Francisco Bay area demonstrating the
"Citrix" Thin/Client server solutions products as well as other manufacturers
products by Clare Computer Solutions in conjunction with Citris. For futher
details and free information downloads visit:

http://www.clarecomputer.com

and click on the Citrix button.