Is VB 4.0 ready for the enterprise?

Post by Mike Miott » Fri, 15 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Please help.  I am juggling Delphi 2.0 and VB 4.0 as a standard for a
software development shop of 40 people.  We are currently a mainframe
cobol shop.  I like VB but have been intrigued by all of the awsome press
that Delphi is getting.
Is anyone using VB as a development environment in a large shop?
Is VB performance really a problem for a large shop?
Can you build large mission critical applications with VB?
Are there any performance issues with building VB remote OLE servers that
may have up to 50 transactions/minute.
Can you see database stored procedure from within the VB environment like
you can with Delphi.
Can you see live data while you are developing in VB like you can with
Delphi.

Any advice related to these question or the general topic would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Is VB 4.0 ready for the enterprise?

Post by use.. » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

It sounds like your application development needs are going to be
exceeding the more pratctical capablities of VB.  Whereas VB,
and any tool worth its salt can create pretty GUI screens,
its the logic behind those screens that dictate the overall
effectiveness and power of an application.

Therefore you should consider the amount of logic you care to
hand code.  VB 'like' tools will be a comfortable
fit for you if you'd like to make pretty screens and write code,
lots of it. The question is however, do you need to?

You need to bear in mind that when selecting your tool you need to
consider: the maintenance of your screens, team development (check-
in/check-out)features, the number of platforms/environments you
plan to deploy on (Windows, Mac, Unix, Internet Browsers), the
ultimate number of transactions you'll grow to (will you be using
a TP Monitor like TUXEDO), and scalability.

JAM has  been helping major corporations around the globe build
mission critical applications for over 18 years. You can download
a demo of our products as well as review our technical materials
at http://www.jyacc.com.  Or, please feel free to contact us at
+(212) 267 7722 for more detailed information.

Sincerely,

David A. Stark
JYACC, Inc.

Quote:

Post by Rene Sondergaa » Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Please help.  I am juggling Delphi 2.0 and VB 4.0 as a standard for a
>software development shop of 40 people.  We are currently a mainframe
>cobol shop.  I like VB but have been intrigued by all of the awsome press
>that Delphi is getting.

some questions about VB snipped

Quote:>Any advice related to these question or the general topic would be
>greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

If you are a Cobol shop why do you want to change to something else?
I'm using Micro Focus Cobol on the PC for C/S programming.  You can
either use their Dialog System for the GUI's or code it directly
yourself. I know it works with windows too though I use it on OS/2.

Yours Rene

Is VB 4.0 ready for the enterprise?

Post by Diego Figueroa Castr » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

If your going for Database applications you should consider seeing
Clarion Professional Developer for Windows. It has more features than VB
4.0 its faster, has wizards and 2 step compiling.
--
Diego A. Figueroa Castro

"EvErY hEaD iS a ViRtUaL wOrLd!!!"
"CaDa CaBeZa Es Un MuNdO vIrTuAl!!!"

Is VB 4.0 ready for the enterprise?

Post by Gordon E. Hook » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>If your going for Database applications you should consider seeing
>Clarion Professional Developer for Windows. It has more features than VB
>4.0 its faster, has wizards and 2 step compiling.

There is more to enterprise level client/server then wizards,a nd 2 step
compiling...

As far as VB is concerned a lot of thought needs to go into the partitioning of
the applications... People are using VB frontends to large scale accounting
systems etc.

>--
>Diego A. Figueroa Castro

>"EvErY hEaD iS a ViRtUaL wOrLd!!!"
>"CaDa CaBeZa Es Un MuNdO vIrTuAl!!!"

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Gordon E. * MACS PCP
25 Clarke Street Ripley Queensland Australia
Phone 61-7-32940555

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
We are just two lost souls living in a fish bowl
Year after year

Pink Floyd

1. Is VB 4.0 ready for the enterprise?

Hi Mike --

A belated reply --

While the comparison between VB and Delphi is interesting, I think either
will do the job for you *if you use the right architecture*.  In other words,
I think you're missing the point.

When I see phrases like "large shop", "mission critical", "50 transaction per
minute" I think you will end up in big trouble if you go with a 2-tier
architecture, from GUI right to the database.  It doesn't scale!

I strongly advise considering a 3-tier architecture from the start:

        1 - "Thin" clients, running just the GUI
        2 - Business services, on a separate server
        3 - Data services and database on a server

This is a "pay now or pay a LOT later" issue.

If you'd like to know more about 3-tier, the press is full of articles on the
topic these days.  If you'd like a specific reference let me know.

If you're a Gartner Group customer, contact Yefim Natis or Roy Schulte in the
architecture/middleware practice.  They will give you first-rate advice.

I have a draft paper on the advantages of 3-tier vs 2-tier for client/server
TP applications (too long to post).  I'll e-mail a copy to you if you want.

Hope this helps!

-- Gary

Vice President, Product Development
Magna Software Corporation                           Phone: 703/222-3500
12450 Fair Lakes Circle                                Fax: 703/222-8433
Fairfax, Virginia 22033

2. CAD Engineer opportunities

3. I Need Help whith VB 4.0 Enterprise Edition

4. New VO web site, in spanish (and english)

5. PB 4.0 vs VB 4.0 functional comparison

6. Printers that emulate HP Laser Jets

7. Java idl enterprise ready?

8. How do I know if I am ready for one exam?

9. Am I ready for the real (70-016) test?

10. Am I ready ?

11. dde with Excel when calling a VB function: dde session not ready