MS-Word OLE question

Post by Stephane Heber » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:40:12

Hi folks,

If I integrate Word in my app

1. can I save the document in a memo field ?
2. does the user have access to the same toolbars as he would if he used
Word itself ?
3. any issues related to different versions of Word (6.0, 7.0, 8.0...) ?
Will they all work ?
4. any thing I should watchout for ?
5. any valuable documentation I need and where do I get it ?

Thanks.

--
============================
Stphane Hbert

============================

MS-Word OLE question

Post by Jürgen Knau » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:42:38

Hi Stephane,

Quote:> Hi folks,

> If I integrate Word in my app

> 1. can I save the document in a memo field ?

Yes, as Ole-Object in an Ole-Field
Quote:> 2. does the user have access to the same toolbars as he would if he used >

Word itself ?
Yes
Quote:> 3. any issues related to different versions of Word (6.0, 7.0, 8.0...) ?

VBA in Word 8.0-10.0 is different from Word 6.0,7.0
Quote:> Will they all work ?
> 4. any thing I should watchout for ?
> 5. any valuable documentation I need and where do I get it ?

> Thanks.

Juergen
> ============================
> Stphane Hbert

> ============================

MS-Word OLE question

Post by Stephane Heber » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 08:56:31

Juergen,

Quote:> > 1. can I save the document in a memo field ?
> Yes, as Ole-Object in an Ole-Field

Does that mean that I can then retreive it for other purposes than feeding
it to word ?  Could I retreive it and display it in an MLE ?

Thanks

--
Stephane Hebert
=========================

Remove yourpants~ to reply
=========================

> Hi Stephane,

> > Hi folks,

> > If I integrate Word in my app

> > 1. can I save the document in a memo field ?
> Yes, as Ole-Object in an Ole-Field
> > 2. does the user have access to the same toolbars as he would if he used

> Word itself ?
> Yes
> > 3. any issues related to different versions of Word (6.0, 7.0, 8.0...) ?
> VBA in Word 8.0-10.0 is different from Word 6.0,7.0
> > Will they all work ?
> > 4. any thing I should watchout for ?
> > 5. any valuable documentation I need and where do I get it ?

> > Thanks.

> Juergen

> > ============================
> > Stphane Hbert

> > ============================

MS-Word OLE question

Post by Jürgen Knau » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:22:04

Stephane,

Quote:> Juergen,

> > > 1. can I save the document in a memo field ?
> > Yes, as Ole-Object in an Ole-Field

> Does that mean that I can then retreive it for other purposes than feeding
> it to word ?  Could I retreive it and display it in an MLE ?

No, you can display it only in an OLE-Container, maybe in a datawindow or
shellwindow.

Juergen

?
> > VBA in Word 8.0-10.0 is different from Word 6.0,7.0
> > > Will they all work ?
> > > 4. any thing I should watchout for ?
> > > 5. any valuable documentation I need and where do I get it ?

> > > Thanks.

> > Juergen

> > > ============================
> > > Stphane Hbert

> > > ============================

MS-Word OLE question

Post by Stephane Heber » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:55:31

Juergen,

Quote:> No, you can display it only in an OLE-Container, maybe in a datawindow or
> shellwindow.

This means that I won't be able to retreive the data and use Report Pro to
print it.
I guess I'll have to go with an RichEdit control, but then I'll have to
supply some mechanism for the user to insert bullets, underlining and other
formatting which I don't know how to do.
More fiddling around I guess.

Thanks anyways.

--
============================
Stphane Hbert

============================

> Stephane,

> > Juergen,

> > > Yes, as Ole-Object in an Ole-Field

> > Does that mean that I can then retreive it for other purposes than
feeding
> > it to word ?  Could I retreive it and display it in an MLE ?
> No, you can display it only in an OLE-Container, maybe in a datawindow or
> shellwindow.

> Juergen

> > Thanks

> > --
> > Stephane Hebert
> > =========================

> > Remove yourpants~ to reply
> > =========================

> > > Hi Stephane,

> > > Yes, as Ole-Object in an Ole-Field
> used

> > > Word itself ?
> > > Yes
> ?
> > > VBA in Word 8.0-10.0 is different from Word 6.0,7.0

> > > Juergen

MS-Word OLE question

Post by Jürgen Knau » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:32:51

Stephane,

Quote:> Juergen,

> > No, you can display it only in an OLE-Container, maybe in a datawindow
or
> > shellwindow.

> This means that I won't be able to retreive the data and use Report Pro to
> print it.

Report Pro has to be able to integrate or print OLE Objects. But i don' t
know if it works. You have to ask DataPro Support.

Juergen

> I guess I'll have to go with an RichEdit control, but then I'll have to
> supply some mechanism for the user to insert bullets, underlining and
other
> formatting which I don't know how to do.
> More fiddling around I guess.

> Thanks anyways.

> --
> ============================
> Stphane Hbert

> ============================

> > Stephane,

> > > Juergen,

> > > Does that mean that I can then retreive it for other purposes than
> feeding
> > > it to word ?  Could I retreive it and display it in an MLE ?
> > No, you can display it only in an OLE-Container, maybe in a datawindow
or
> > shellwindow.

> > Juergen

> > > Thanks

> > > --
> > > Stephane Hebert
> > > =========================

> > > Remove yourpants~ to reply
> > > =========================

> > used

> 8.0...)
> > ?

MS-Word OLE question

Post by Jean-Pierre Maerten » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:25:21

HelloJrgen,

If you have MS-Word on every machine you could do all your printing with
MSWord (that is what I do).  Then you would not have to fiddle around to
make it work with ReportPro.

Jean-Pierre Maertens
Brugge
Belgium

> Stephane,

> > Juergen,

> > > No, you can display it only in an OLE-Container, maybe in a datawindow
> or
> > > shellwindow.

> > This means that I won't be able to retreive the data and use Report Pro
> > print it.
> Report Pro has to be able to integrate or print OLE Objects. But i don' t
> know if it works. You have to ask DataPro Support.

> Juergen

> > I guess I'll have to go with an RichEdit control, but then I'll have to
> > supply some mechanism for the user to insert bullets, underlining and
> other
> > formatting which I don't know how to do.
> > More fiddling around I guess.

> > Thanks anyways.

> > --
> > ============================
> > Stphane Hbert

> > ============================

> > > Stephane,

> > feeding
> > > No, you can display it only in an OLE-Container, maybe in a datawindow
> or
> > > shellwindow.

> > > Juergen

> he
> > > used

> > 8.0...)
> > > ?

MS-Word OLE question

Post by Stephane Heber » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:58:05

Jean-Pierre,

In my case, that won't work cause I'm not only printing the Word stuff on
the report.  I'm mixing that and stuff from a DBF.

--
============================
Stphane Hbert

============================

> HelloJrgen,

> If you have MS-Word on every machine you could do all your printing with
> MSWord (that is what I do).  Then you would not have to fiddle around to
> make it work with ReportPro.

> Jean-Pierre Maertens
> Brugge
> Belgium

> > Stephane,

> > > Juergen,

> > or

> > > This means that I won't be able to retreive the data and use Report
Pro
> > > print it.
> > Report Pro has to be able to integrate or print OLE Objects. But i don'
> > know if it works. You have to ask DataPro Support.

> > Juergen

> > > I guess I'll have to go with an RichEdit control, but then I'll have
> > > supply some mechanism for the user to insert bullets, underlining and
> > other
> > > formatting which I don't know how to do.
> > > More fiddling around I guess.

> > > Thanks anyways.

> > > --
> > > ============================
> > > Stphane Hbert

> > > ============================

> > > feeding
> > or

Newsbeitrag

> > he

> > > 8.0...)

MS-Word OLE question

Post by Jean-Pierre Maerten » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:27:53

Stephane,

So do I.  I make VERY complicated documents with a mixture of pre-typed
documents, with pseudo variables I have made.  Sometimes I work with
Word-fields but that can only work for simple documents (the Word-field IF
cannot be nested).

Why did I do all that ?  Because the user can change the layout of all
documents very simple, I even five him a help-document with all the
pseudo-variables he can paste in the document.  The modal user is acustomed
to Word, but Report-generators are not an option for my users.

Works very well, very little support was needed.  And everyone knows support
takes a lot of time.

greetings

Jean-Pierre

> Jean-Pierre,

> In my case, that won't work cause I'm not only printing the Word stuff on
> the report.  I'm mixing that and stuff from a DBF.

> --
> ============================
> Stphane Hbert

> ============================

> > HelloJrgen,

> > If you have MS-Word on every machine you could do all your printing with
> > MSWord (that is what I do).  Then you would not have to fiddle around to
> > make it work with ReportPro.

> > Jean-Pierre Maertens
> > Brugge
> > Belgium

> > > Stephane,

> datawindow
> > > or

> Pro
> > > Report Pro has to be able to integrate or print OLE Objects. But i
don'
> > > know if it works. You have to ask DataPro Support.

> > > Juergen

> > > other

> datawindow
> > > or

> Newsbeitrag

> if
> > > he

1. MS-Word OLE events

Hi,

Is there anyone out there who was able to figure out how to catch events
from an OLEautoobject such as MS-Word ?  It would be a great help to be
notified when a user closes a document, or the application.

TIA

Jean-Pierre Maertens
Brugge
Belgium

2. Scheduled backups made easy?

3. Problems with OLE and MS-Word

4. Palm Doc format...

5. HELLPPP! - OLE & MS WORD question

6. Winos2 and w32s125.zip

7. Memory error with OLE to MS Word

8. Atari SH204 HD formatting question

9. OLE 2.0, Powerbuilder 4.0 and MS Word

10. OLE and MS Word Problems

11. OLE MS WORD statement to function calls

12. OLE with MS Word??