voice over ip from PC to PC , then dialing out using the phone line

voice over ip from PC to PC , then dialing out using the phone line

Post by Knowledge hung » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:20:20

I live in LA , my son lives in Newyork. We both have DSL connections .
I am trying to do the following : I want to make a local phone call in
NewYork while I am in LA. I want to use any of the voice communication
programs such as netmeeting , msn messager , paltalk etc.. to
communicate with my son's computer , also I want to see if it is
possible to deal out from my son's computer  in NewYork  .

Do you know if such thing exists . I use  real VNC to have a computer
access to my son's computer . So if there is a way , please let me
know what it is . If there is a software program that allow me to dial
out while I am on DSL , that would be great .

Thanks ..

voice over ip from PC to PC , then dialing out using the phone line

Post by Geoff Schalle » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:14:42

Do you have a name?

Its far friendlier to communicate using names but any way... There are
plenty of Voice Over IP apps out there. Just do a normal search.... But my
preference has been to use one of those little internet cameras (like
LiveView's RoboCam). They come with this software. You can have voice and
picture or just voice. Some are more sophisticated and feature rich than
others but they exactly what you want. Just dial in to your ISP and you are
off an running. Local call both ends and it can be as international a gap as
you like.

Geoff

Quote:> I live in LA , my son lives in Newyork. We both have DSL connections .
> I am trying to do the following : I want to make a local phone call in
> NewYork while I am in LA. I want to use any of the voice communication
> programs such as netmeeting , msn messager , paltalk etc.. to
> communicate with my son's computer , also I want to see if it is
> possible to deal out from my son's computer  in NewYork  .

> Do you know if such thing exists . I use  real VNC to have a computer
> access to my son's computer . So if there is a way , please let me
> know what it is . If there is a software program that allow me to dial
> out while I am on DSL , that would be great .

> Thanks ..

1. HA PC controller share phone line with voice

I am planning on putting a PC in a remote location where I can dial into it
to do some remote monitoring by running a PPP service on the machine.  The
problem I would appreciate some ideas on is how to have the PC that is
running this automation best share the phone line with voice users.    The
PC will be at a lake cabin so the extra expense of a second line isn't
feasible.

Any software or device-based ideas?   Thanks,
Jeff

2. Network over cable modems?

3. ''PC to PC Voice" using MSN Messenger Version 5 - no sound

4. $100 to anyone that can answer my question--guaranteed.

5. IP, UDP, TCP for the PC: PC/IP where you can get it.

6. ORACLE DBA/ CONTRACT/ NC

7. MSN Voice PC to Phone

8. limit on number of file descriptors in Windows

9. PC to PC Voice dialog with MSN Messenger Version 5 does not do sound.

10. PC 2 PC Voice chat problem with MSN messenger

11. Voice communications PC to PC problem

12. PC-PC Voice Problem :(

13. PC to PC voice conflict with ICS?