installing/compiling RTEMS 4.5.0 on linux

installing/compiling RTEMS 4.5.0 on linux

Post by embeddedvoi » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:15:40

Hi all

  I am a new user of RTEMS..i want to install and use RTEMS for my
project..
..can anyone pls tell me the exact procedure of installation/compiling
RTEMS 4.5.0 on a linux machine?
  too many errors or bugs are reported each time i try to install
it..so i am very sure there is something wrong with the procedure..any
help in this regard
would be immensely helpful..

thanks and regards
embeddedvoice

Post by Joel Sherri » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:30:07

> Hi all

>   I am a new user of RTEMS..i want to install and use RTEMS for my
> project..
> ..can anyone pls tell me the exact procedure of installation/compiling
> RTEMS 4.5.0 on a linux machine?
>   too many errors or bugs are reported each time i try to install
> it..so i am very sure there is something wrong with the procedure..any
> help in this regard
> would be immensely helpful..

How about using a newer version?  Look on ftp.oarcorp.com in
/pub/cd-working for the latest release preview.  The installation
procedure on a GNU/Linux using RPMs is fairly simple and documented
in the manual "Getting Started with RTEMS".  The current documentation
is at:

http://www.oarcorp.com/rtemsdoc-current/html/

The RPMs are organized into a "base" RPM and a set of target specific
ones.  There is a base and CPU specific set for binutils, gcc/newlib,
and gdb.  So a full toolset for a single target CPU family (m68k,
powerpc, etc.) consists of 6 RPMs.  This is all covered in the
Getting Started manual.

Quote:> thanks and regards
> embeddedvoice

--joel sherrill

1. booting linux from floppy disk, compiling rtems...

I've written an embedded system on Windows NT
that does communication, some traffic control and
conversions between different serial protocols.

Now I would like to put it all in embedded pc.
Since I used Posix calls porting task should not be
complicated.

I decided to test two operating systems that would be
appropriate for this almost-but-not-realtime task, RTEMS and Linux.

Have anyone been successful trying to compile
RTEMS RTOS on Linux? I tried *everything* but there's
just too much compile problems. Would it make it any
easier if I compiled it using dos go32 compiler?

I compiler very obscure (190Kb) version of Linux (Slackware 3.0,
kernel 1.2.13) with only few necessary device drivers and put it on
floppy disk. There is still 1.2Mb free on my floppy and I want to put
all necessary files on it so it could be Linux boot, that would boot
Linux and be avaliable on one of serial ports and I could log on using
terminal, while deamon application would perform communication tasks.
Problems are:
1. How do I tell kernel which disk contains root image?
2. How do I properly make single floppy boot and root?
3. What files are necessary to copy to make minimum installation?
4. How do I copy (make) device files?

2. Compatibility

3. Compiling/installing RTEMS under Cygwin

4. Multiple File ??

5. RTEMS under Linux with Linux as target!

6. Trident 32-bit are nice .... buuuuuttttt ......

7. Cross Compiling for RTEMS

8. Upgrading server

9. RTEMS-3.6.0 & Linux Stray Signal 11

10. Compiling RoboCup 2001 Rescue kernel: gcc, Linux

11. Cross compiling linux->powerpc-vxworks

12. can I compile my software under Linux

13. Help: Cannot compile gcc for Linux