Embedded 386 Tools

Post by David Wheel » Sat, 22 Aug 1992 02:41:04

My company is considering using a 386 or 486 as an embedded processor
and we are looking for a set of tools that can support 386 software
development.  We have had only limited success trying to find
compilers, linker/locators, de*s, and emulation support for the
386 outside of the DOS/Windows environment.  It would be very helpful
if anyone currently doing development of this nature could send me
information on the tools you are using.

We are looking for compilers (with 32-bit support), assemblers,
linker/locators, source-level de*s, and emulators.  PC-based and
workstation based cross-development tools are both of interest to us.
Product names and manufacturers would be useful as well as any hints
and/or tips on which tools work well with each other.  Thank you.

- David Wheeler

  Telecommunications Techniques Corporation

1. Making Embedded 386 board for experimenters

Hi:

I would like to know if anyone on this group would be interested in a single
board computer with the following features.   I already have a prototype, and
want to know if this is worth pursuing further.

Base Unit Features:

* Board uses AMD SC310 microcontroller running at 33 MHZ.  This is a 386SX
microprocessor with integrated peripherals such as UART, Interrupt  Controller,
DMA controller, IDE controller, and real-time clock  For more info on this chip
see this site:
  http://www.amd.com/products/lpd/elan300/elan300-310.html

* 256KB of FLASH memory with space for 1MB additional

* 512KB of DRAM with space for one 72-pin SIMM additional

* Dual 16550 UARTs with RS-232 interface.  (Considering RS-485 too.) This gives
the board a total of 3 UARTS.

* System real-time clock battery backed.

* 8255 Peripheral interface ( 24 lines of programmable digital I/O.)

* One 16-bit ISA slot or one PC-104 slot.  This allows an off the shelf ISA
card   to  plug into the board.   This way you can plug in a 3rd party data
acquisition card, network card, serial comms card, etc.   If you want more than
one card in your system a simple bus expander card will allow 4 slots.  These
run about $10 in stores.

* Now for the good part... Software.  The board will come with firmware to boot
the processor
in protected mode using the flat model.  This allows 4GB of flat address space
( just like on a nice Motorola 32-bit processor :-).  The board will come with
a serial download utility resident in FLASH.  This means you can compile your
embedded application code using MS Visual C++ 5.0 and then serially download
your code image into FLASH.  You won't be able to access DOS functions
obviously or run a GUI, but you can develop a powerful embedded application
without expensive embedded software tools or device programmers.

The board will run the x86 port of the uCOS real-time kernel.  The object file
for this port is available for free on the Embedded Systems Programming
website.  I am planning on making available all my drivers for the SC310s
serial ports, real-time clock, and FLASH programming.
I may even distribute a FLASH file system API with the package.

*  The target price for the base board and the boot loader firmware and drivers
will be         between $250 and $300.   All you will need is a host PC, Visual
C++, and a serial cable.
You may also need your own power supply if you want to heavily load the ISA bus
with your own cards.

If there is any interest in this board, or any comments or suggestions, please
email me.

Brian D.

2. (none)

3. what is embedded 386 or PC/104

4. MVME167 usec timer?

5. InoculateIT detected the (Win95.Spanska_Happy99) virus in Mailbox (Public Folders), Sender (Andrew) !!!

6. Rom monitor & 386 & embedded & realtime & OO

7. Position Available: VR Business Developer

8. Need software for 386 embedded system

9. CYRIX 386-486 Upgrade CPU and COMPAQ 386/20 HELP

10. can't run a 386 kernel on this 386 ???

11. 386 boot problem on 386

12. 386/SX vs. 386: What's the diff?