Information, Decision and Control 99

Post by Keith Mas » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

              F I N A L    C A L L    F O R    P A P E R S

I N F O R M A T I O N ,   D E C I S I O N   A N D   C O N T R O L   9 9

                  A d e l a i d e,   A u s t r a l i a

                   8 - 1 0  F e b r u a r y   1 9 9 9

               http://idc99.cssip.edu.au
               http://www.IDC99.gmu.edu   (USA mirror site)

IDC-99 will bring together scientists, engineers and mathematicians
working across the disciplines of signal processing and communications,
decision and control, and data and information fusion. Progress in
these disciplines is critical to the successful implementation of large
interconnected and distributed systems such as military C3I systems,
communication networks, distributed sensor networks, and large scale
distributed control systems.

IDC-99 is structured along the lines of similar multi-conferences held
over recent years around the world. It is planned to provide a
technically strong symposia for each of the three core disciplines, and
in addition there will be significant opportunity for overlap and
interaction between the various groups.

The IDC-99 Organising Committee invites researchers and practitioners
in academia, industry and government to submit extended abstracts of
papers for one or more of the three symposia of IDC-99 as detailed
below. Acceptance for presentation in oral and poster sessions will be
based on review by the program committee. All submissions will be
reviewed on their originality, relevance, significance and clarity.
Only presented papers and posters will be published in the IDC-99
Proceedings.

                          PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Dr. Paul Alexander, Singapore       Assoc. Prof. Phillip McKerrow, Aust
Prof. Yaakov Bar-Shalom, USA        Assoc. Prof. Daniel McMichael Aust.
Mr. Mark Bedworth, UK               Assoc. Prof. Rick Middleton, Aust.
Prof. Rick Blum, USA                Prof. Mike Miller, Australia
Dr. Salim Bouzerdoum, Australia     Prof. Bill Moran, Australia
Dr. Christopher Bowman, USA         Dr. Mark Nelson, Australia
Dr. Ian Dall, Australia             Dr. Martin Oxenham, Australia
Prof. Hugh Durrant-Whyte, Aust.     Dr. Heping Pann, Australia
Prof. Robert Elliott, Canada        Dr. Louis Pau, Europe
Prof. Robin Evans, Australia        Dr. Sylvie Perreau, Australia
Prof. Douglas Gray, Australia       Dr Ian Peterson, Australia
Dr. Anne-Marie Grisogono, Aust.     Dr. John Percival, Australia
Dr. John Hallam, UK                 Dr. Graham Pulford, Australia
Dr. Mark Halpern, Australia         Dr. Andre Savkin, Australia
Dr. Alf Isaksson, Sweden            Dr. Len Sciacca, Australia
Assoc. Prof. Kenneth Hintz, USA     Prof. Peter Sherman, USA
Dr. Rodney Kennedy, Australia       Dr. Leon Sibul, USA
Dr. Douglas Kewley, Australia       Dr. Steven Weller, Australia
Dr. Miro Kraetzl, Australia         Dr. Lang White, Australia
Dr. Vikram Krishnamurthy, Aust.     Prof. Bjorn Wittenmark, Sweden
Dr. Jean-Pierre Le Cadre, France    Dr. Cishen Zhang, Australia

                 DATA AND INFORMATION FUSION SYMPOSIUM
             (The Second Australian Data Fusion Symposium)

Following the success of the First Australian Data Fusion Symposium
held in Adelaide in 1996, the scope of the forthcoming meeting has been
widened to include information fusion, and to place greater emphasis on
higher level processing. The aim of this meeting is to provide a forum
for the presentation of the latest research and innovations in the
field of data and information fusion: its theoretical basis and its
application to military and civilian problems.

TOPICS:
Problem Domains: Tracking, Multisensor Fusion, Situation Assessment,
Threat Assessment, Sensor Control and Management, Fault Detection.
Underpinning Technologies: Estimation and Inference, Decision Theory,
Game Theory, Artificial Intelligence, Information Theory, Bayesian
Networks, Distributed Systems, Control. Application Areas: Aerospace
and Automotive, Civilian and Military Surveillance, C3I and Information
Warfare, Condition Monitoring, Medical, Robotics. System Design Issues:
Frameworks, Performance Assessment, Designable Systems, Robustness.

             SIGNAL PROCESSING AND COMMUNICATIONS SYMPOSIUM

Signal processing is a discipline which underpins many civilian and
military systems. This symposium is designed to showcase new and
innovative ideas in signal processing,  with a special emphasis on
communications systems. Signal processing for personal and wireless
communications will be a particular focus. In particular, as part of
the overall theme of IDC, this symposium will attempt to highlight
interfacing issues between signal processing subsystems and both lower
level (ie hardware) and high level (ie applications) aspects of system
design.

TOPICS:
Statistical Signal Processing, Spectrum Analysis and Estimation,
Digital Filter Design and Implementation, Fast Algorithms, Underwater
Acoustic Signal Processing, Detection Theory, System Identification,
System Optimisation, Parameter Estimation, Adaptive Signal Processing,
Robust Signal Processing, Signal Processing for Communications Systems,
Communications Networks, Discrete Event Systems, Mechanical Systems
Signal Processing, Image Processing and Analysis, Speech Processing and
Analysis, Applications of Signal Processing Techniques.

                     DECISION AND CONTROL SYMPOSIUM

Modern large military and civilian control systems exhibit a high
degree of complexity and remain a challenge to the control sciences
and systems engineers. Such systems are characterised by distributed
dynamic decision-making and control processes which are inter-
connected through finite bandwidth communication channels. The
Decision and Control Symposium aims to bring out the theory and
design techniques behind the development of such systems and provides
a forum for the presentation of the latest research and innovations
in the fields of Decision and Control.

TOPICS:
Distributed Decision-Making Processes, Distributed Control, Adaptive
Systems, Optimization, Intelligent Control, Nonlinear Control,
Industrial Automation, Command Control and Communication (C3), Hybrid
Dynamical Systems, Distributed Detection/Decision, Robust Control,
Discrete Event Systems, Petri-Nets, Artificial Intelligence.

                           SUBMISSION DETAILS

Extended Abstracts should be no more than two A4 pages. A cover sheet
should indicate: the paper title, all authors and affiliations, a point
of contact (telephone, fax and email), the symposia of submission and
(to facilitate the reviewing process) a topic area addressed by the
submission chosen from the lists above.

Electronic submission is encouraged. It is preferred that electronic
submissions of Extended Abstracts be in postscript or ascii files.
Electronic submissions must be received at id...@cssip.edu.au by June
30, 1998. Alternatively, five hard copies must be received by June 23,
1998, at: IDC-99, Plevin & Associates Pty Ltd, PO Box 54 Burnside,
SA 5066, Australia.

Acceptance letters will be posted by August 31, 1998. Camera ready papers
(up to six A4 pages) submitted electronically will be due on November 30,
1998, and hard copy papers will be due on November 23, 1998. Camera ready
paper formats should be consistent with the IDC-99 style files, which are
included in the web pages given below and in the header of this message.
Abstracts of camera ready papers which are submitted electronically will
appear in the web version of the Final Program.

                          FURTHER INFORMATION

Information about IDC-99 is also available on the IDC-99 world wide web
site http://idc99.cssip.edu.au and also (soon) at the USA mirror site at
http://www.IDC99.gmu.edu or by contacting the IDC-99 Secretariat
electronically at ple...@camtech.net.au or in writing at IDC-99,
Plevin & Associates Pty Ltd, PO Box 54, Burnside, SA 5066, Australia.

                          ORGANISING COMMITTEE

Prof Robin Evans (General Chair)
Dr Lang White (Signal  Processing and Communications Chair)
Assoc Prof Daniel McMichael  (Information and Data Fusion Chair)
Dr Len Sciacca (Decision and Control Chair)
Dr Michael Evans (Organising Committee Chair)
Mr Ashley Martin (Finance)
Dr Keith Mason (Publicity)
Dr Stephen Elton (Publications)
Mr Bill Siahamis (Local Arrangements)
Dr David Liebing

Call For Papers.

email: ple...@camtech.net.au

Information, Decision and Control 99

Post by CMoel8 » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Dear Keith Mason:

This is an unsolicited request for help about a new system of symbolic
control logic and its applications. Please read on.

In my opinion, a real-time operating system (RTOS) is a contradiction of terms,
in that if  an OS is relied upon to perform all, including time-critical,
process functions, then it is not a real-time system. This is based upon the
observation that if one stops, in a real-time process, to look up or to fetch
anything, or to perform any other function, one is truly out of real time. If
the machine operation is linear-sequential, by my definition, it therefore
can't be real time.

The only justification I can think of to call any OS an "RTOS" is that those
particular systems may allow one to be as close as one may get to true real
time while using Boolean-sequential logic (which, in truth, is not very close
to real time at all). That "everyone uses RTOSs" does not reverse the fact that
they are very poor substitutes for true real-time operation. The universal
factory automation that was eminent thirty years ago has not yet happened,
although the available computing power has since increased more than a
million-fold. It is still more cost-effective to manufacture most products
manually and semi-automatically. Because this is the actual case (just look
around in industry) there must be something lacking in the current automation
technology.

All is not lost, however, because a remedy exists:
Some real-time logic applications having to do with process representation and
control will be improved if we can imbue a logic with a sense of time, a direct
temp*sensitivity. The logical sense of time should parallel, in some
fundamental way, the logical sense of space that can be stated in the predicate
calculus and propositional logic and which is ordinarily implemented for use in
Boolean logic and its gates. (The logic of time, however, should not be
translated through a spatial domain, as is now common, through
Boolean-sequential logic.)

The ordinary logics all have less functionality than we could have available,
once we admit the missing directly-connected temp*functions. I have
identified and reduced these to practice in hardware rather than in software.
An expanded suite of logic elements, in my estimation, should have true
temp*functions, operators, operations, etc. all able to operate in real
time and upon real-time variables. This is in contrast to the practice of
relying upon artificial clocks and translating temp*variables to and from
spatial domains, which is the method used in control technology today.

I have developed such a logic over a period of many years, which may be used
for process specification, representation, and control. The logic of which I
write is truly real-time in nature, so one may "speak" the logic in
nearly-natural language. One may use this logic for applications that run in
real time, as it operates in a fundamentally parallel-concurrent fashion,
unlike the linear-sequential systems in common use. It is hardware-based and
has additional symbolic logic operators, operations and corresponding logic
elements which, when used in conjunction with the conventional Boolean
operations, can perform control functions in both space and time, often without
clocks, instructions, or software. It is also quite fast in comparison to
existing digital control schemes.

I would like to submit papers for conferences or journals to introduce the new
logic. I feel my seminal work should first be reviewed by someone with stature
in one or more applied computer science and applied logic disciplines. I may
also be in need of some collaboration on my argument and advice on the papers.

I am seeking significant guidance from industry or academia, or both. Can you
help me directly, or refer me to the appropriate person or office where I may
seek such aid? I welcome any comments or advice. Principals may receive copies
of abstracts and my written works for examination.

Please pass this on to anyone you think might have an interest.

Respectfully,
Charles Moeller, Sr.Engineer