Z180/Z80 C Compiler Info Requested

Post by Greg Holdr » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'm planning to purchase a C compiler targeted for the Z80/Z180 that
runs on a MSDOS host system. Mainly for the Z180 but I will use it
occasionally on the Z80 too. I looked at the back issues of Embbeded
Systems and found an article in the Winter 1995 Programming Product
News special issue entitled "C and C++ Compilers: Important but
Becoming Invisible". In the back it has a matrix table of target uP
versus software companies.

I would like to get feed back on the listed compilers below, both
good and bad or indifferent, for the Z180/Z80 flavor. I guess
generic comment would be helpful also. If there are other companies
developing C compilers not listed, I would like feedback also on these.
I'm sure this will help others out as well so I will post a summary.

Z180/Z80 C Compiler list:
------------------------

Avocet Systems

COSMIC Software

IAR Systems Software

Intermetrics

Manx Software Systems

Softools Inc.

Software Development Systems

Z-World Engineering

2500AD Software

----------------

Thanks,
Greg Holdren

Post by Bob Harv » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>I'm planning to purchase a C compiler targeted for the Z80/Z180 that
>runs on a MSDOS host system. Mainly for the Z180 but I will use it
>occasionally on the Z80 too. I looked at the back issues of Embbeded
>Systems and found an article in the Winter 1995 Programming Product
>News special issue entitled "C and C++ Compilers: Important but
>Becoming Invisible". In the back it has a matrix table of target uP
>versus software companies.

>I would like to get feed back on the listed compilers below, both
>good and bad or indifferent, for the Z180/Z80 flavor. I guess
>generic comment would be helpful also. If there are other companies
>developing C compilers not listed, I would like feedback also on these.
>I'm sure this will help others out as well so I will post a summary.

>Z180/Z80 C Compiler list:
>------------------------
>Avocet Systems
>COSMIC Software
>IAR Systems Software
>Intermetrics
>Manx Software Systems
>Softools Inc.
>Software Development Systems
>Z-World Engineering
>2500AD Software
>----------------

Greg,

For what it's worth, several years ago I used Avocet Systems products
and had nothing but problems.  The complier was loaded with bugs and I
finally returned it.  I then went to Software Development Systems and
love it.  It is very flexible and easy to use.  Their products are
very well tested before they are released.  They are also very good
with updates and fixing any bugs that may surface.  They are somewhat
expensive, but for me, it is money well spent.

All my uses of these companies have been with Z80 and Z180 using
assemblier and C.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob Harvey

San Diego, CA  USA

Z180/Z80 C Compiler Info Requested

Post by gyoung.sna.co » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Z-World makes the best development system for Z180 (excuse me... I'm
partial). Unfortunately, it only runs on Z-World controllers.

Since I've worked on development tools for the Z180, I've used/evaluated
many of the compilers on your list. Without questions, the best
performance/price ratio is the Softools compilers. I've done several
projects using their compiler and was very happy.

Z180/Z80 C Compiler Info Requested

Post by Howard Goldste » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

 :
 : Z180/Z80 C Compiler list:
 : ------------------------
 :
 : Avocet Systems
 :

I'm afraid I have to agree with Bob Harvey.  I used the old version of
the Avocet compiler simply because they have a fairly good assembler.
Like Bob, I had nothing but problems.  Recently I upgraded the version to
6.01 and although some of the old problems are fixed and its
optimizer is better (read:exists), it comes with an entirely new set
of problems.

If I could bill the client for a new compiler I'd do it in a heartbeat...

--

Post by Phillip M. Vog » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>I'm planning to purchase a C compiler targeted for the Z80/Z180 that
>>runs on a MSDOS host system. Mainly for the Z180 but I will use it

I did lots of work on Z80 and Z180 systems with the Manx compiler. I
haven't done any Z80 work in a few years, but I don't recall any major
headaches.  Their tech support was excellent, though I probably would
never had needed to call them if I had read the manuals a bit more closely.

Phillip - working at 4 in the morning again - we gotta ship tomorrow.

--
Phillip M. Vogel, President      | "It's not what you've been taught,
Bartal Design Group, Inc.        |  it's what you've learned." (me)

Z180/Z80 C Compiler Info Requested

Post by Gary Williams » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

(snip!)

:
:Z180/Z80 C Compiler list:
:------------------------
:
:Avocet Systems
:
:COSMIC Software
:
:IAR Systems Software
:
:Intermetrics
:
:Manx Software Systems
:
:Softools Inc.
:
:Software Development Systems
:
:Z-World Engineering
:
:2500AD Software
:
:----------------
:
:
:Thanks,
:Greg Holdren

:

I've used the 2500AD Z80 compiler and was not impressed. Very
inefficient. Did not support enumerated types, bit fields or
ANSI. Would not recommend it.

I have had very good experience with compilers from Microtec
Research - primarily their 680XX compilers. So, I trashed the
2500AD compiler, and bought a Z80 compiler from MRI. Very
good compiler. ANSI compliant. All the bells and whistles.
Great tools including an exceptional Z80 simulator. Highly
recommended.

The 1st compile I did with it, I used the same sources that I
had been running thru the 2500AD compiler. After linking, the
resulting load module was 20% smaller than what the 2400AD
compiler/linker generated.

                        Gary Williamson

                        Orlando, Florida

Most of the time I know what I'm talking about.
It's up to the reader to determine whether a shovel is needed.

1. Embedded Pascal for the 8051/8052 and Z80/Z180

Announced for release 1-Oct-98
Embedded Pascal for the 8051/8052 and Z80/Z180

http://www.dontronics.com/epascal.html

Don's Download Dungeon: http://www.dontronics.com/download.html

2. Partition Setup

3. Modula-2 compiler info requested

4. DSL providers and newsgroups

5. Z80-B of Z80-H

6. Pipeline 50 Phone

7. Xerox 820 z80 based software request....

8. V4R4 Problem?

9. WWW uC Data sheets? & Z80 C compiler?

10. Z80 C compiler, www address...

11. what is the best z80 'C' compiler available !!

12. Free Compilers for Z80

13. z80 compilers