RTOS benchmarking

Post by Joern Tietje » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

hi there,

can anyone please give me some pointers to comprehensive benchmark
tests (incl. results) on the major RTOSes running on embedded platforms
like PowerPC, 68xxx etc. ?
Especially LynxOS, VxWorks, EneaOSE and QNX are in my focus.
Tests should include things like task switching times and message
passing throughput.
What about embedded NT ? Any experiences yet ?

Of course, any relevant comment on one of the above RTOSes is
appreciated (as long as they do not lead to another holy-flame-war
-crusade on embedded RTOS).

ADthanksVANCE.

Joern

---

Draeger Medizintechnik GmbH
D-23542 Luebeck, Germany

RTOS benchmarking

Post by Bruce Tras » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Check out May 96 article in Dr. Dobbs Journal
" Benchmarking Real_Time Operating Systems"

HTH
Bruce

> hi there,

> can anyone please give me some pointers to comprehensive benchmark
> tests (incl. results) on the major RTOSes running on embedded platforms
> like PowerPC, 68xxx etc. ?
> Especially LynxOS, VxWorks, EneaOSE and QNX are in my focus.
> Tests should include things like task switching times and message
> passing throughput.
> What about embedded NT ? Any experiences yet ?

> Of course, any relevant comment on one of the above RTOSes is
> appreciated (as long as they do not lead to another holy-flame-war
> -crusade on embedded RTOS).

> ADthanksVANCE.

> Joern

> ---

> Draeger Medizintechnik GmbH
> D-23542 Luebeck, Germany

RTOS benchmarking

Post by Bart Van Benede » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Yes, Dedicated Systems Experts (formerly know as Real-Time Consult, the
publishers of Real-Time Magazine) have an extensive RTOS evaluation program
going on.
They have extensive evaluation reports on the following  products :

- Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- VxWorks/x85 5.3.1
- pSOSystem/x86 2.2.6
- QNX 4.25
- RTX4.2 real-time extention
- INtime 1.20 real-time extention
- Hypekernel 4.3 real-time extention

To learn more, just go to the visitor center : http://shop.realinter.net

Bart

> hi there,

> can anyone please give me some pointers to comprehensive benchmark
> tests (incl. results) on the major RTOSes running on embedded platforms
> like PowerPC, 68xxx etc. ?
> Especially LynxOS, VxWorks, EneaOSE and QNX are in my focus.
> Tests should include things like task switching times and message
> passing throughput.
> What about embedded NT ? Any experiences yet ?

> Of course, any relevant comment on one of the above RTOSes is
> appreciated (as long as they do not lead to another holy-flame-war
> -crusade on embedded RTOS).

> ADthanksVANCE.

> Joern

> ---

> Draeger Medizintechnik GmbH
> D-23542 Luebeck, Germany

RTOS benchmarking

Post by David Brow » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I started registering at  http://shop.realinter.net , but the amount of
information they required was ridiculous.  I find these "required fields"
registrations annoying, because generally they contact "required fields"
which are not applicable - people end up making up data just to get past the
entrance.  But when they started asking me what email client I use, I quit.
I can understand (but not like) that they want to ask questions about my
company - presumably they will sell this information to spammers to pay for
the site (although I thought they charged for some of their documents
anyway).  And why do they insist on having the users email address as a
login name?  Have these guys never heard of personal privacy?

>Yes, Dedicated Systems Experts (formerly know as Real-Time Consult, the
>publishers of Real-Time Magazine) have an extensive RTOS evaluation program
>going on.
>They have extensive evaluation reports on the following  products :

>- Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
>- VxWorks/x85 5.3.1
>- pSOSystem/x86 2.2.6
>- QNX 4.25
>- RTX4.2 real-time extention
>- INtime 1.20 real-time extention
>- Hypekernel 4.3 real-time extention

>To learn more, just go to the visitor center : http://shop.realinter.net

>Bart

>> hi there,

>> can anyone please give me some pointers to comprehensive benchmark
>> tests (incl. results) on the major RTOSes running on embedded platforms
>> like PowerPC, 68xxx etc. ?
>> Especially LynxOS, VxWorks, EneaOSE and QNX are in my focus.
>> Tests should include things like task switching times and message
>> passing throughput.
>> What about embedded NT ? Any experiences yet ?

>> Of course, any relevant comment on one of the above RTOSes is
>> appreciated (as long as they do not lead to another holy-flame-war
>> -crusade on embedded RTOS).

>> ADthanksVANCE.

>> Joern

>> ---

>> Draeger Medizintechnik GmbH
>> D-23542 Luebeck, Germany

RTOS benchmarking

Post by Douglas Frase » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> the site (although I thought they charged for some of their documents
> anyway).  And why do they insist on having the users email address as a
> login name?  Have these guys never heard of personal privacy?

Register for an email adddress at one of the many free mail
providers.
Use that email address for all your registration forms.
Sometimes you
will actually get useful mail on that site, but most the
time, you can
just throw it away. Plus, if you need help getting online
because you
forgot your password, you can get help through that real
mail account.
It works great.

Doug

RTOS benchmarking

Post by Joe Gwi » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I don't think that they verify that you entered a correct email address,
so just give them whatever comes to mind.

> That is pretty much what I would do if I felt it worth the effort.  It makes
> a mockery of the whole registration business.  If they had asked a couple of
> quick, relevant questions I would have answered truthfully.  Instead, the
> best the can hope for is a completly fictisious set of answers picked to get
> through the registration as quickly as possible and to reduce spam.

> ><snip>

> >> the site (although I thought they charged for some of their documents
> >> anyway).  And why do they insist on having the users email address as a
> >> login name?  Have these guys never heard of personal privacy?

> >Register for an email adddress at one of the many free mail
> >providers.
> >Use that email address for all your registration forms.
> >Sometimes you
> >will actually get useful mail on that site, but most the
> >time, you can
> >just throw it away. Plus, if you need help getting online
> >because you
> >forgot your password, you can get help through that real
> >mail account.
> >It works great.

> >Doug

RTOS benchmarking

Post by Jon Kirwa » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:16:59 +0100, "Martin TIMMERMAN"

>Here we want to remark that we are a Belgium based company. As such we have
>to follow Belgian legislation. These are very strict concerning privacy of
>ANY database you use in a company. It is forbidden to sell them to third
>parties, and any one in the database may request to remove its entry!
>The database is only used internally, and will not be exported without
>explicit improval (Belgian law) of database entries. However it is used by
>us for informing you when new RTOS evaluations and related informations are
>made available on the site.

It would be wonderful if the US were similarly restrictive.

Jon

RTOS benchmarking

Post by Alan Johnso » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:16:59 +0100, "Martin TIMMERMAN"

> >Here we want to remark that we are a Belgium based company. As such we have
> >to follow Belgian legislation. These are very strict concerning privacy of
> >ANY database you use in a company. It is forbidden to sell them to third
> >parties, and any one in the database may request to remove its entry!
> >The database is only used internally, and will not be exported without
> >explicit improval (Belgian law) of database entries. However it is used by
> >us for informing you when new RTOS evaluations and related informations are
> >made available on the site.

> It would be wonderful if the US were similarly restrictive.

> Jon

Off subject I know but the UK has similar laws and restrictions.
I just get spammed from the US.

AJ

RTOS benchmarking

Post by Lord Apollyo » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> That is pretty much what I would do if I felt it worth the effort.

Well, if you run your own mail server for your primary addresses it's
easy.  Create "salted" email addresses, like the (valid, btw) one I am
using now.

Something like spambait-realtime-be for example.  You create a simple
alias (in sendmail at least), newalias it, use that for registration,
get their password or whatever and nix the alias.  Simple.  Or you can
leave it around, and if you start to get mail send to that address, you
know who the rat was.

Very effective - works well with snail-mail garbage too.  Just "salt"
your name/address - misspell some components, or add "flowery" extras to
the address.

=R=

--
The reply-to-address is real and will expire on 12:01AM 1-Apr-2000.
Spammers: You will lose your network access.  Guaranteed.

1. RToS benchmark?

Just recently I saw an RTOS benchmark which combined several timings
(context-switch, interrupt latency, etc.) into one figure-of-merit.

Can anyone provide me with a reference?

Thanks HUGELY!

-- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                    http://www.leonora.org/~vladimir

Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                  (650) 787-2514

2. editing clioc.inf

3. RTOS benchmarks

4. HELP: Who's taking my

5. RTOS benchmark results and/or test suite sources available?

6. HP DJ 890 Black and White Mode Not Diffusion Dithering, Halftoning! Why? XP Drivers neurtered? Why?

7. Looking for RTOS benchmark info

8. Print jobs colliding (overlapping)

9. SSC Benchmark - RTOS comparison

10. differences between RTOS on DSP and RTOS on microcontroller

11. RTOS FAQ Source/RTOS Tutorial

12. Benchmarks---What Benchmarks are there?

13. Benchmark Logiciel France 1995 (Software Development Benchmark)