Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by Jack W. Crensha » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Anyone know of a good source for SBC "evaluation" boards for micros?
I'm particularly looking for mfrs that support micros at the high end of
the scale, like the Colfire, etc.

Seems to me that there used to be hundreds of such companies.  Can't
seem to find any lately.  MicroMint had a good variety of boards at the
lower end, and of course there's the Basic Stamp and similar low-end
boards.

A few years ago, I bought a low-cost 68332 board from Vesta, which was
excellent, and came with Forth already installed in ROM.  But they're
apparently no longer in business.

I'd appreciate any leads.  Of course, I understand that each of the
Mfrs, like Motorola, Hitachi, etc., offer such boards, but their prices
(esp. Moto) tend to be dear.

Jack

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by W Gerald Hick » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

We like these guys:  http://www.ace360.com/

--

Jerry Hicks

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by Stuart J Ada » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone know of a good source for SBC "evaluation" boards for micros?
>..
>Seems to me that there used to be hundreds of such companies.  Can't

 There still are. Check out http://www.eg3.com/ they have lots listed.

Quote:>Mfrs, like Motorola, Hitachi, etc., offer such boards, but their prices
>(esp. Moto) tend to be dear.

  Well, we got a Moto MBX board for $495 (PowerPC) about 5 months
  ago which is not too bad. The only thing I did not like about it
  is I had to find a power supply for it which supplied +5,+12, and +3.3V.

  Also, if you want PowerPC you can check out http://www.brightstareng.com/
  They have a credit-card sized board anf have on-board switching power
  supplies which can power the board as well as your application hardware.
  They also have a POSIX based RTOS for the board if you care about
  software support.

-- Jeff

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by Gene S. Berkowi » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyone know of a good source for SBC "evaluation" boards for micros?
> I'm particularly looking for mfrs that support micros at the high end of
> the scale, like the Colfire, etc.

> Seems to me that there used to be hundreds of such companies.  Can't
> seem to find any lately.  MicroMint had a good variety of boards at the
> lower end, and of course there's the Basic Stamp and similar low-end
> boards.

Try EST Corp. www.estc.com
They are known for their BDM & JTAG de*s, but they offer several
SBCs (following taken from the web site):

SBCs -- Single Board Computers
  Evaluation and prototyping boards
  specifically designed for chip evaluation
  and early hardware and software
  development.

        68K SBC's:
           SBC332
           SBC340
           SBC341
           SBC360

        ColdFire SBC's:
           SBC5202
           SBC5204
           SBC5307

        PowerPC SBC's:
           MDP Dev. Boards
           SBC8260
             (for PowerQUICC II?)

--Gene

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by gra.. » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Arenewsh or Arnsh or some other equally wierd name makes a bunch of '332
and Coldfire boards.  Sorry, no URL off the top iof my head.  Maybe they
have more at www.espmag.com in their database area.

GB

Post by Jack W. Crensha » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> We like these guys:  http://www.ace360.com/

> --

> Jerry Hicks

Ok, Jerry, thanks.  I tried the URL, but unfortunately the site doesn't
browse properly in Netscape 3.0 Gold (scroll bars don't work).

Jack

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by Jack W. Crensha » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Try EST Corp. www.estc.com
> They are known for their BDM & JTAG de*s, but they offer several
> SBCs (following taken from the web site):

<snip>

Got that one, thanks, Gene.  EST and I go way back.

Jack

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by glups » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

go to concur systems, themis, micro express, sun oem boards, and integrix on
the net. hope this helps, but i simply looked in yahoo at single board
computers. a complete catagory for them there.

> Anyone know of a good source for SBC "evaluation" boards for micros?
> I'm particularly looking for mfrs that support micros at the high end of
> the scale, like the Colfire, etc.

> Seems to me that there used to be hundreds of such companies.  Can't
> seem to find any lately.  MicroMint had a good variety of boards at the
> lower end, and of course there's the Basic Stamp and similar low-end
> boards.

> A few years ago, I bought a low-cost 68332 board from Vesta, which was
> excellent, and came with Forth already installed in ROM.  But they're
> apparently no longer in business.

> I'd appreciate any leads.  Of course, I understand that each of the
> Mfrs, like Motorola, Hitachi, etc., offer such boards, but their prices
> (esp. Moto) tend to be dear.

> Jack

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by Mark S. Mathew » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hey Jack,

Hello from your own neck of the woods.

I have a cool little board based on the Moto MPC850.  It's called the RPX-Lite and features

a Moto MPC850, ethernet, serial, USB, and PCMCIA.

More info at:

http://www.radiopartsco.com

Regards,

Marky

Mark S. Mathews

AbsoluteValue Software     Web:    http://www.absoval.com

Maitland, FL 32794-1149    Phone:  407.644.8582
USA                        Fax:    407.539.1294

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by Elizabeth D. Rathe » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Anyone know of a good source for SBC "evaluation" boards for micros?
> I'm particularly looking for mfrs that support micros at the high end of
> the scale, like the Colfire, etc.

Our favorites include Axiom Mfg. http://www.axman.com/ and New Micros,
Inc., http://www.newmicros.com.  New Micros tends toward the smaller
chips, but have some boards for the 68332 (which we like much better
than Vesta's). New Micros offers a fairly simple on-board Forth, and we
support boards from both companies with our new SwiftX cross-compilers.

Quote:> A few years ago, I bought a low-cost 68332 board from Vesta, which was
> excellent, and came with Forth already installed in ROM.  But they're
> apparently no longer in business.

Vesta is still around; their address is 11465 N I 70 Service Rd, Wheat
Ridge, CO 80033, (303) 422-8088 (misplaced web address).  But, as I
noted above, we like New Micros' 68332 board better.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth D. Rather  (US & Canada) 800-55-FORTH
FORTH Inc.                      +1 310-372-8493
111 N. Sepulveda Blvd.     Fax: +1 310-318-7130
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
http://www.forth.com

applications since 1973."

Seeking SBC mfrs

Post by Jack W. Crensha » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > Anyone know of a good source for SBC "evaluation" boards for micros?
> > I'm particularly looking for mfrs that support micros at the high end of
> > the scale, like the Colfire, etc.

> Our favorites include Axiom Mfg. http://www.axman.com/ and New Micros,
> Inc., http://www.newmicros.com.  New Micros tends toward the smaller
> chips, but have some boards for the 68332 (which we like much better
> than Vesta's). New Micros offers a fairly simple on-board Forth, and we
> support boards from both companies with our new SwiftX cross-compilers.

> > A few years ago, I bought a low-cost 68332 board from Vesta, which was
> > excellent, and came with Forth already installed in ROM.  But they're
> > apparently no longer in business.

> Vesta is still around; their address is 11465 N I 70 Service Rd, Wheat
> Ridge, CO 80033, (303) 422-8088 (misplaced web address).  But, as I
> noted above, we like New Micros' 68332 board better.

> Cheers,
> Elizabeth

Wow, a message from Elizabeth Rather, Ms. Forth herself!! What an honor.
I'm impressed and pleased.

Please, _PLEASE_ tell me you didn't see my column in Embedded Systems
Programming, where I talked about your visit to Honeywell back around
1980 (It sort of turned me off of Forth).

Actually, we've met twice. The second time was at one of Regina Starr
Ridley's delightful author's parties at an SD conference.

Thanks very much for the data.  I'll follow them up.  As before, thanks
to everyone else who answered.  My cup runneth over!

Jack

1. seeking PCI-bus SBC

Dear VxWorks Users,

I need a very low-cost PCI-bus single board computer (ideally with VxWorks
support) which can be plugged into the PCI backplane of an NT workstation.
 Most PCI-bus CPU boards are set up to be the "system controller" or bus
master so they won't work.    Also, I can't use CompactPCI -- it's gotta be
regular PCI.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Harvey

2. Configuring Laserwriter IINT on Quadra 700

3. US AIRFORCE SAYS SCANNER MFRS LIE

4. AS400 and Single Signon

5. MFRS: free listing in home automation guide

6. comp.dcom.sys.cisco Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

7. AIRFORCE SAYS SCANNER MFRS ARE LYING

8. Will CyberVisionPPC have passthrough?

9. SBC FA: 486-33/DX SBC 5 volt @ 1.1 amp 16 mb full ports SVGA LCD and monitor out

10. Xbox Live with 2wire equipment through SBC

11. 6811 SBC and free software

12. Comments on MCSI INH-486DX SBC

13. Any Beta Testers using SBC DSL?