Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by Pawel W. Olszt » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00




> Hello all,

> After many months of searching, reading, asking and hunting, I finally
> have come to a conclusion what the best resource for DirectX IM
> programming is... and it's right under my nose. (Stupid me for not
> realizing this earlier).

> Alot of people probably already know, but I'm gonna this message anyways
> to save time for everyone who is (and will be) looking for a good
> resource or book for D3d IM.

> It's simply the Directx.chm file, that comes with the SDK. [...]

If everything else fails, consult the documentation. >:o].
Still you'd better switch to OpenGL. It's much more
intuitive to use, and it is easier to find related resources
on the web.

Cordially

---------------------
Pawel W. Olszta

---------------------

 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by Odin Jense » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00


And OpenGL is still too limited to make a serious engine (I know it's widely
used, but with release 7.0 of DirectX it's way better.)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards Odin Jensen
Programmer, ITE Aps.


(The point of view presented here is solely my own
 and DO NOT represent that of ITE ApS)



> > Hello all,

> > After many months of searching, reading, asking and hunting, I finally
> > have come to a conclusion what the best resource for DirectX IM
> > programming is... and it's right under my nose. (Stupid me for not
> > realizing this earlier).

> > Alot of people probably already know, but I'm gonna this message anyways
> > to save time for everyone who is (and will be) looking for a good
> > resource or book for D3d IM.

> > It's simply the Directx.chm file, that comes with the SDK. [...]

> If everything else fails, consult the documentation. >:o].
> Still you'd better switch to OpenGL. It's much more
> intuitive to use, and it is easier to find related resources
> on the web.

> Cordially

> ---------------------
> Pawel W. Olszta

> ---------------------


 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by JT Liimatt » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Quote:> If everything else fails, consult the documentation. >:o].
> Still you'd better switch to OpenGL. It's much more
> intuitive to use, and it is easier to find related resources
> on the web.

He finally got things working out smoothly, and you suggest to switch API?
Hmm.. great tip ;-)

Both GL and D3D have their strengths and weakneses, I wouldn't recommend
either before I knew more about the applications one is about to write, for
what purpose, for whatkind of audience. Neither would I say someone made a
bad choise by using GL or D3D, I'd say it would be a mistake NOT to use
*either* of those two in one form or another. Let's say, if he was doing
100% Glide Only application, I would give him advice to reconsider, atleast
adding GL/D3D option.

Both are piece of cake to use, in my opinion.

Cheers

 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by GDX » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00


LOL.  Give a real example please?  Maybe I'm just not fully awake or
something, but I can't think of much myself....

--
-GDX
UIN: 39503186
apreygel at hotmail dot com
"To be confused is to fully understand."


> And OpenGL is still too limited to make a serious engine (I know it's
widely
> used, but with release 7.0 of DirectX it's way better.)

> --
> Med venlig hilsen / Best regards Odin Jensen
> Programmer, ITE Aps.


> (The point of view presented here is solely my own
>  and DO NOT represent that of ITE ApS)



> > > Hello all,

> > > After many months of searching, reading, asking and hunting, I
finally
> > > have come to a conclusion what the best resource for DirectX IM
> > > programming is... and it's right under my nose. (Stupid me for not
> > > realizing this earlier).

> > > Alot of people probably already know, but I'm gonna this message
anyways
> > > to save time for everyone who is (and will be) looking for a good
> > > resource or book for D3d IM.

> > > It's simply the Directx.chm file, that comes with the SDK. [...]

> > If everything else fails, consult the documentation. >:o].
> > Still you'd better switch to OpenGL. It's much more
> > intuitive to use, and it is easier to find related resources
> > on the web.

> > Cordially

> > ---------------------
> > Pawel W. Olszta

> > ---------------------

 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by Marek Mikule » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Hehe..

Well, I'm basically attempting to create a 3d engine for a space combat based
game, in which many of the models already are created as X-files (for testing
and viewing, not to be used with D3D RM, but IM) So it would be pointless for
me to do it in OpenGl. Besides, I've had many many opinions about D3d vs.
OpenGl, and almost everyone believes that because D3d has more options
available, it's the better choice to make an engine.

Marek


> > If everything else fails, consult the documentation. >:o].
> > Still you'd better switch to OpenGL. It's much more
> > intuitive to use, and it is easier to find related resources
> > on the web.

> He finally got things working out smoothly, and you suggest to switch API?
> Hmm.. great tip ;-)

> Both GL and D3D have their strengths and weakneses, I wouldn't recommend
> either before I knew more about the applications one is about to write, for
> what purpose, for whatkind of audience. Neither would I say someone made a
> bad choise by using GL or D3D, I'd say it would be a mistake NOT to use
> *either* of those two in one form or another. Let's say, if he was doing
> 100% Glide Only application, I would give him advice to reconsider, atleast
> adding GL/D3D option.

> Both are piece of cake to use, in my opinion.

> Cheers

 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by zz » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00



> Hehe..

> Well, I'm basically attempting to create a 3d engine for a space combat based
> game, in which many of the models already are created as X-files (for testing
> and viewing, not to be used with D3D RM, but IM) So it would be pointless for
> me to do it in OpenGl.

a bit of information opengl can read X-files
 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by Warren Marshal » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Quote:> And OpenGL is still too limited to make a serious engine (I know it's
widely
> used, but with release 7.0 of DirectX it's way better.)

Quake2 and Quake3 aren't serious game engines?

-----

Warren Marshall
Level Designer
Legend Entertainment
"I was up until 1:00am last night."

 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by Marek Mikule » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Well..

Yes they are, but I dno't even want to think about how much assembly is in
that engine compared to some other ones.

Marek


> > And OpenGL is still too limited to make a serious engine (I know it's
> widely
> > used, but with release 7.0 of DirectX it's way better.)

> Quake2 and Quake3 aren't serious game engines?

> -----

> Warren Marshall
> Level Designer
> Legend Entertainment
> "I was up until 1:00am last night."

 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by JT Liimatt » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Quote:> Yes they are, but I dno't even want to think about how much assembly is in
> that engine compared to some other ones.

And do you really think it's because of OpenGL?

-Jukka

 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by Craig Furne » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00




Quote:>> Yes they are, but I dno't even want to think about how much assembly
>> is in that engine compared to some other ones.

>And do you really think it's because of OpenGL?

>-Jukka

As far as I know, Quake 1 had hard coded Asm in it for the inner loops...
but Quake 2 veered away from that , and quake 3 doesnt have processor
specific asm.

I could very well be wrong, but i recall Carmack saying that all the hand
-optimised asm is now sitting in the libraries (OpenGL and drivers) and
the quake engine is C based?

 
 
 

Found best resource for D3d IM (and like to share)

Post by Matthew Harmo » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I would imagine the only significant assembly was for the software
rasterizer.


Quote:> Well..

> Yes they are, but I dno't even want to think about how much assembly is in
> that engine compared to some other ones.

> Marek

 
 
 

1. D3D, IM vs RM

I've just finished designing a video game that I plan to use d3d for, and
trying to figure out whether I should use IM or RM.  I have 0 actual
experience with d3d with any significant number of objects, so I was
wondering if I could get some help here.  I will have over 2000 triangles in
my scene, but probably only 200 or so actually displayed at any one time.  I
will also be running a collision detection algorithm on about 100 faces.  Is
retained mode fast enough to do all of this, or should I use immediate mode
to optimize the number of triangles I'm calculating at any given moment?
Thanks for any help or pointers to internet sites.

2. Fixpak 1 and VXREXX

3. Help: 2d to 3d coords. D3D IM

4. Which to use WM_CHAR or WM_PAINT?

5. any good D3d IM books??

6. SPX problems

7. D3D IM - transparent object

8. toner cartridges

9. Triangle strips and D3D IM

10. How to share memory between an win32 app and a NDIS IM dirver?

11. How do I find how much system resources and GDI resources are available?

12. i found an error message and im not able to solve it

13. the best of the best of the best!