The Rise of Tom Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment

The Rise of Tom Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment

Post by Mark Kiej » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00



 We all know start-ups in this industry have an horrendous
 time 'making-it'.

 It is also known that despite big names, big money, or
 success in another industry - all these things do not
 guarantee the success of a start-up in the game biz.

 Of course, you have to marvel when you look at Tom
 Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment and their game
 'Rainbow Six'. It's a feaking mystery and a great
 case study for a 'postmortem' on gamasutra.

 How did Clancy and friends acquire such talent
 AND expertise to produce such a quality FIRST title?
 Hired desperate, sleep-under-desk, workaholic
 college kids? Got industry veterans to jump ship?
 Picked up experienced talent after other companies
 laid off employees because they were in the red?
 Published the game by some hot development house
 (wasn't inhouse?)

 Seriously, anyone have some insight?

 
 
 

The Rise of Tom Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment

Post by Brian Upt » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00




Quote:

> We all know start-ups in this industry have an horrendous
> time 'making-it'.

> It is also known that despite big names, big money, or
> success in another industry - all these things do not
> guarantee the success of a start-up in the game biz.

> Of course, you have to marvel when you look at Tom
> Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment and their game
> 'Rainbow Six'. It's a feaking mystery and a great
> case study for a 'postmortem' on gamasutra.

> How did Clancy and friends acquire such talent
> AND expertise to produce such a quality FIRST title?
> Hired desperate, sleep-under-desk, workaholic
> college kids? Got industry veterans to jump ship?
> Picked up experienced talent after other companies
> laid off employees because they were in the red?
> Published the game by some hot development house
> (wasn't inhouse?)

> Seriously, anyone have some insight?

Hmmm.  Finally, a question I feel _fully_ qualified to answer ... .

Thanks for your kind words, first of all.  You just made my day.

I actually did write a postmortem that ran in _Game Developer_ last
spring.  I think Gamasutra might have run a condensed version too.

Actually, most of the _Rainbow Six_ team were not industry veterans.
About a third of the engineers and half of the artists had never
worked on a game before.  The lead engineer (me) had only done one
game before, and while the producer had run small game projects he had
never lead anything of _Rainbow Six's_ scope.  The lead artist had
never worked on a game before.  Needless to say, we made lots of
mistakes ... .

It succeeded because:

1.) We worked like dogs.
2.) We had a solid design that we stuck to.
3.) We got really, really lucky.

--
"No live organism can continue for long to exist
 sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even
 larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream."


** Opinions expressed are my own and not those of Red Storm **

 
 
 

The Rise of Tom Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment

Post by Noah Falstei » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00





> > How did Clancy and friends acquire such talent
> > AND expertise to produce such a quality FIRST title?

First?  What about SSN and Politika?  Ruthless.com?  And the genetic-based
strategy game?  Like many other companies they had their mis-starts which
are soon forgotten.  All the more reason for Brian to feel proud to have
designed their first real hit.  But often it takes a few failures to learn
how to do it right.

--

Noah Falstein
The Inspiracy
* Interactive Design
http://www.veryComputer.com/


To reply remove the obvious

 
 
 

The Rise of Tom Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment

Post by Mark Kiej » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00




>> > How did Clancy and friends acquire such talent
>> > AND expertise to produce such a quality FIRST title?

> First?  What about SSN and Politika?  Ruthless.com?  And the genetic-based
> strategy game?  Like many other companies they had their mis-starts which
> are soon forgotten.  All the more reason for Brian to feel proud to have
> designed their first real hit.  But often it takes a few failures to learn
> how to do it right.

My fault. I didn't do my research while posting on a whim, impulsive,
spontaneous moment after playing the game. All I can remember
of anything related to Red Storm or Tom Clancy on a PC was
the game "Red Storm Rising".

--
"The human race is so megalomaniac;
they think you're being conceited if
you say you're better than everybody else. "
           -- Celia Green, The Human Evasion

 
 
 

The Rise of Tom Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment

Post by Jeffery Cho » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Quote:>  AND expertise to produce such a quality FIRST title?
>  Hired desperate, sleep-under-desk, workaholic
>  college kids? Got industry veterans to jump ship?
>  Picked up experienced talent after other companies
>  laid off employees because they were in the red?
>  Published the game by some hot development house
>  (wasn't inhouse?)

Actually Brian's last point made a lot of sense too..
The feeling I get is that luck has a LOT to do with how
successful a developer is. I'm not saying that Red Storm
didn't put in their share of hard work, but sometimes
even well-established companies go belly-up simply
because of bad luck. Trust me, I know. =)

Note though: Red Storm isn't the first
"overnight success" company (looking only at
Rainbow Six as an overnight success),
and it certainly won't be the last.

--
Jeff Chow
Radical Entertainment
Vancouver, BC

 
 
 

The Rise of Tom Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment

Post by Stagg » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Luck helps. But it still never replaces the work that goes before and after it.

Maybe a lucky meet gets you in the door with a publisher, or finds that magical
idea for you. But if you don't put the work in after that it can still all go
wrong.

 
 
 

The Rise of Tom Clancy's RedStorm Entertainment

Post by gle.. » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.

--
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
http://www.dynamicadventures.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

1. White House 'study' of entertainment industry.

Here they come...  Me, I can say with complete confidence that
I have NO marketing memos indicating a desire to sell violent
games to children.  How about you?  Hmmm?  

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/clinton_safety990601....

White House press secretary Joe Lockhart called it a
real serious study, but it was unclear whether the federal
agencies would subpoena internal marketing memos and
other industry documents. Clinton spokesman Jake
Siewert said the Justice Department and FTC already
have subpoena power and, while the study would be
independent of White House control, Clinton envisions it
as encompassing internal industry records.

2. David Hewson

3. New master's program (Msc) in multimedia and digital entertainment

4. +++ [ Pro Engineer v18 CD ] for $99

5. Grouping Undo's in rich edit or TOM

6. .forward file syntax for forwarding to programs?

7. ANY COMMENTS ABOUT TOM SWAN'S C++5?

8. xemacs 19.15b105 on sgi O2 with IRIX 6.3 crashed at startup

9. Tom Love's book "Object Lessons..."

10. Tom Love's email address

11. Tom's Hardware: PC Games and Hyperthreading

12. Rational Rose, Rose RT, Quality/Architect, Test RT?