Is 21 too late to start??

Post by Sean Geoghega » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi
I am 21 currently studying Computer science at Uni and teaching myself a bit
about games programming along the way.  I have been interested in computers
and Games all my life but have only recently taken it up seriously. After 3
years as a sound engineer, I turned to my true passion.. I've been heavily
into the hardware side of things for about a year and a half and have just
started on programming in the last six months.  I am picking it up fairly
well and I am averaging High Distinctions in my classes (<=> of a A - A+ in
America).  My question is have I left it too late?  I see people around 15
getting into the programming side of thing that i getting into and everyone
at Uni is about 17.  And it makes me feel old :( .  Is this going to be a
disadvantage to me when it comes to employment in the IT field?

Thanks
Sean Geoghegan

Is 21 too late to start??

Post by Andy Bai » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Not at all.

Andy Bain

Quote:> Hi
> I am 21 currently studying Computer science at Uni and teaching myself a
bit
> about games programming along the way.  I have been interested in
computers
> and Games all my life but have only recently taken it up seriously. After
3
> years as a sound engineer, I turned to my true passion.. I've been heavily
> into the hardware side of things for about a year and a half and have just
> started on programming in the last six months.  I am picking it up fairly
> well and I am averaging High Distinctions in my classes (<=> of a A - A+
in
> America).  My question is have I left it too late?  I see people around 15
> getting into the programming side of thing that i getting into and
everyone
> at Uni is about 17.  And it makes me feel old :( .  Is this going to be a
> disadvantage to me when it comes to employment in the IT field?

> Thanks
> Sean Geoghegan

Is 21 too late to start??

Post by Brian Upt » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 19 May 2000 20:15:08 +0800, "Sean Geoghegan"

>Hi
>I am 21 currently studying Computer science at Uni and teaching myself a bit
>about games programming along the way.  I have been interested in computers
>and Games all my life but have only recently taken it up seriously. After 3
>years as a sound engineer, I turned to my true passion.. I've been heavily
>into the hardware side of things for about a year and a half and have just
>started on programming in the last six months.  I am picking it up fairly
>well and I am averaging High Distinctions in my classes (<=> of a A - A+ in
>America).  My question is have I left it too late?  I see people around 15
>getting into the programming side of thing that i getting into and everyone
>at Uni is about 17.  And it makes me feel old :( .  Is this going to be a
>disadvantage to me when it comes to employment in the IT field?

Nope.  I didn't switch from being a graphics programmer to being a
games programmer until I was in my 30's.

--
"Pithecanthropus!  Iconoclast!  Bashi-bazouk!"

** Opinions expressed are my own and not those of Red Storm **

Is 21 too late to start??

Post by Michael Fray » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

    It better not be, I started at 21 as well (last year) :)   Seriously
though, if you can do the work, I see no reason for a few years older to be
a hinderance.

Mike
---

Red Crocodile Technologies
[http://www.redcrocodile.net/]
"D/L our games and their source code for free"
---

>Hi
>I am 21 currently studying Computer science at Uni and teaching myself a
bit
>about games programming along the way.  I have been interested in computers
>and Games all my life but have only recently taken it up seriously. After 3
>years as a sound engineer, I turned to my true passion.. I've been heavily
>into the hardware side of things for about a year and a half and have just
>started on programming in the last six months.  I am picking it up fairly
>well and I am averaging High Distinctions in my classes (<=> of a A - A+ in
>America).  My question is have I left it too late?  I see people around 15
>getting into the programming side of thing that i getting into and everyone
>at Uni is about 17.  And it makes me feel old :( .  Is this going to be a
>disadvantage to me when it comes to employment in the IT field?

>Thanks
>Sean Geoghegan

Is 21 too late to start??

Post by berni » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

After 5 years you become a game programmer and another 5 years
you become a troll. That seems correct the path here.

Is 21 too late to start??

Post by berni » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> That seems correct the path here.

Meanwhile forget gnilleps you.

Is 21 too late to start??

Post by gle.. » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

You will do fine, drive and determination can take you far.  I started
to code at 7 or 8 years of age on a TRS-80.  But there is always some
much more new stuff to learn that unless you constantly study and work
at it you will be left behind no matter when you start.
--
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. I am in need of C++ Builder 3 in 21 days (ebook) plz read inside

Hi,

i am very in need of C++ Builder 3 in 21 days. Now i heard that the on
the cd that came with the book there is a directory with the ebook
version of the book. I would highly appriciate if somebody could sent
me that ebook.

Greetz an thanks in advance

Erik Bakker

2. Threads, STL and RedHat 7.2

3. dos error 21

4. Help: pppd doesn't want to hangup

5. "Teach Yourself OLE Programming in 21 Days"

6. Chinese Character set

7. dos error 21

8. Which App is Using Port 21?

9. Winsock Programmer's FAQ (updated 1999.02.21)

10. Expect-5.21-junk char with output

11. Formatting 21 sectors / track on Win2000

12. Calling Int 21 functions from windows