Help: Serial Link not 8-bit clean!

Post by dave » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Setup:
Redhat 6.1 with a Wavecom (GSM) modem.

If I use minicom to dial the remote ISP, everything works fine, a
connection is made, and the authentication works.

If I then use ppp with (ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer) scripts to dial the same
ISP, I get the following message in /var/log/messages

Serial connection established
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty0
LCP: timeout sending
Connection Terminated
Recieve Serial Link is not 8-bit clean
Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Hangup (signup)
Exit

Can anybody help solve this issue, I've seen similar postings before,
but there is not a clear solution.

thanks

Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Clifford Kit » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> If I use minicom to dial the remote ISP, everything works fine, a
> connection is made, and the authentication works.
> If I then use ppp with (ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer) scripts to dial the
> same ISP, I get the following message in /var/log/messages
> Serial connection established
> Using interface ppp0
> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty0
> LCP: timeout sending
> Connection Terminated
> Recieve Serial Link is not 8-bit clean
> Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
> Hangup (signup)
> Exit

This almost always means that the chat script failed to do what is
necessary to let the ISP start PPP at it's end.  Usually the ISP is
presenting a prompt or menu instead.

Quote:> Can anybody help solve this issue, I've seen similar postings before,
> but there is not a clear solution.

The cause varies.  It would be much easier if you post the chat script
and use chat -v to get verbose chat messages and post them.

It's often a matter of using  CONNECT '\c'  instead of  CONNECT '',
or configuring for PAP and CHAP authentication rather than for
login/password entries.

--

Help: Serial Link not 8-bit clean!

Post by dave » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Kite,

you're right.  When I use minicom to connect, after login I am at a
prompt (prompt> ).  To start ppp I am required to type ppp followed by
return.  Here is my chat script,

exec /usr/sbin/chat -v
TIMEOUT        3                    \
ABORT          '\nBUSY\r'           \
ABORT          '\nNO ANSWER\r'      \
''             \rAT                 \
'OK-+++\c-OK'  ATH0                 \
TIMEOUT        30                   \
OK             AT+CBST=71,0,1       \
OK             ATDT$TELEPHONE       \
sername:       $ACCOUNT             \
assword:       $PASSWORD

the AT+CBST command is used as I am using a GSM modem!
how would I get ppp to start fom this script?

thanks

Dave

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> you're right.  When I use minicom to connect, after login I am at a
> prompt (prompt> ).  To start ppp I am required to type ppp followed
> by return.  Here is my chat script,
> exec /usr/sbin/chat -v
> TIMEOUT        3                    \
> ABORT          '\nBUSY\r'           \
> ABORT          '\nNO ANSWER\r'      \
> ''             \rAT                 \
> 'OK-+++\c-OK'  ATH0                 \
> TIMEOUT        30                   \
> OK             AT+CBST=71,0,1       \
> OK             ATDT$TELEPHONE       \
> sername:       $ACCOUNT             \
> assword:       $PASSWORD
> the AT+CBST command is used as I am using a GSM modem!
> how would I get ppp to start fom this script?

The prompt for entering "ppp" is usually used as the expect string
in a chat expect-send pair.  For instance, if the prompt is "Mode:"
then you would add  " Mode:  ppp " to the end of the chat script.

--

/* Those who can't write, write manuals. */

The preceding blank lines are inserted to work around a brain-dead
NNTP policy at the ISP which insists on more original lines than
reposted lines. :/

Help: Serial Link not 8-bit clean!

Post by Bit Twist » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You might try
Quote:>word:       $PASSWORD\c

or

Quote:>word:       $PASSWORD

''           ppp\c

>Kite,

>you're right.  When I use minicom to connect, after login I am at a
>prompt (prompt> ).  To start ppp I am required to type ppp followed by
>return.  Here is my chat script,

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read the message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

1. Help: Serial Link is not 8-bit clean

I am having problems getting my ppp link to work and I was hoping someone
had seen this error before.  My setup is:

home pc:
Linux, 14.4 modem, ppp-2.1.2

office:
Sun 470MP, Sunos 4.1.3, Telebit WorldBlazer, ppp-2.1.2

I use cu to connect to the office system and run "pppd debug passive"
and then go back to my local system and run "pppd debug /dev/cua3 19200".
It always times out after the default 9 LCP requests and then stops trying
and logs the following error to the Sun's syslogd:

Serial Link is not 8-bit clean:
All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

Checking "stty" shows that things look like 8 bits should be flowing.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Tony Bates
--

2. Tracing Mobile Applications

3. Receive Serial Link is not 8-Bit Clean

4. Year 2000 problem

5. ppp connection(Serial link is not 8-bit clean)

6. Allowing users to check their mail remotely

7. LCP problem (Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:)

8. Beta testers wanted for PPST

9. ???Serial link not 8-bit clean:

10. Serial link is not 8-bit clean ??????

11. link is not 8-bit clean

12. Not 8-bit clean help

13. Serial link is not 8 bit clean