Linux RH 5.0 PPP hangs up after connect

Post by Joe Bl » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks.  I'm running RH5.0  linux on a Pent 75.  I have PPP
configured and can dial my ISP.  The modem connects and prompts me.
Then after I enter my user and password it immediatly goes to NO
CARRIER.

1.)  Do I need to configure PAP? Adnd or CHAP?

Mt ISP say either should work but that's all I can get out of them.

2.) Can I run this PAP from PPP...Like PPP -r PAP with some kind of
switch.

3.)  Do I also need to set up CHAT?  I'm not interested in "Chatting"
but if this will help I'll do it..

Finally i know a .tar file is a compressed file similar to .zip .rar
.arj .  Is a file .tar.gz the same thing.  What's a good untarrer?

Thanks for any help  E-mail or post here

Post by James Carlso » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hi folks.  I'm running RH5.0  linux on a Pent 75.  I have PPP
> configured and can dial my ISP.  The modem connects and prompts me.
> Then after I enter my user and password it immediatly goes to NO
> CARRIER.

> 1.)  Do I need to configure PAP? Adnd or CHAP?

> Mt ISP say either should work but that's all I can get out of them.

If either will work, then configure either one.

Quote:> 2.) Can I run this PAP from PPP...Like PPP -r PAP with some kind of
> switch.

Yes.  Read the man page.

Quote:> 3.)  Do I also need to set up CHAT?  I'm not interested in "Chatting"
> but if this will help I'll do it..

That's something the ISP should tell you.  Most ISPs no longer require
chatting because Microsoft demanded such support a few years ago in
order to be listed in the golden book of Windoze-compatible ISPs for
Win95.

Quote:> Finally i know a .tar file is a compressed file similar to .zip .rar
> .arj .  Is a file .tar.gz the same thing.  What's a good untarrer?

.tar is not compressed; it's merely archived.  Use "tar" to untar it.

.gz is compressed using Gnuzip format.  "gunzip" should come with your
system.  If it doesn't, check with an archive.

You can use "gunzip -c foo.tar.gz | tar xf -" to uncompress and untar
a .tar.gz image.

Unix doesn't do things the way PC software writers do.  Instead of
having a single all-in-one tool to compress and archive like "pkzip,"
Unix uses separate tools that archive and compress.  It's *far* more
flexible to do things this way.  You can change your compression
algorithm without replacing your archiver, or compress data without
having to also archive directory information.

A trip to the local bookstore might be in order ...

--

IronBridge Networks / 55 Hayden Avenue  71.246W    Vox:  +1 781 402 8032
Lexington MA  02421-7996 / USA          42.423N    Fax:  +1 781 402 8092

Linux RH 5.0 PPP hangs up after connect

Post by J. P » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>You can use "gunzip -c foo.tar.gz | tar xf -" to uncompress and untar
>a .tar.gz image.

Or just simply: tar xzf foo.tar.gz
Why complicate things?  Of course not all tar implementations have
the compress/uncompress capability that is invoked by the z option.
However the gnu version that comes with Linux does have that.

Joe P.

1. Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA

Howdy!

I've been trying to get MLPPP working from a linux box running Redhat 5.0
for a few days now.  I can connect fine over 1B, and can use the other B for
voice calls.  It's obviously (I'm assuming here so watch out) not a case of
bad SPIDs/DNs because both Bs work.

Some info:

ISDN phone co: Bell Atlantic
ISP: Buffnet (uses Ascend routers)
Linux hardware: an old Gateway 486SX/33 w/ Pentium Overdrive 83, 32M, 256k
cache, 5.4G among 3 HD's, scsi card with some external periphs, Cabletron
E21X, and 10x CD.
Linux software: kernel 2.0.34, pppd 2.3.5, all patches listed by Redhat are
applied

That leaves a few choices:

    Basically this configures the modem to use MLPPP and DOV.  FYI, the
manual I have does not list the Factory Profiles correctly.  AT&F0
configures the modem for Single-link PPP (I verified this by checking the
relevant AT settings listed).  The dial string I use is ATD1234567&7 which
was recommended by Motorola tech support, which differs from the manual.
The manual lists two ways of dialing: after the & repeat the number; just
include the &.

2) The card isn't configured properly under linux.  Currently it is
recognized as COM3 on IRQ3 at 0x3e8 and I use setserial to configure it for
spd_vhi.  Here's my options file from /etc/ppp:

connect "chat -vf /root/mypppscr"
user <myuser>
/dev/modem
115200
-detach
modem
lcp-max-configure 30
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
noipx
lock
debug
asyncmap 0x00000000
crtscts
defaultroute
noipdefault
mru 1024

Here's the chat script file:

REPORT CONNECT
ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
'' +++ATZ

OK ATD1234567\&7 CONNECT

3) The modem has a defect or there's a problem with the line.  Inside I'm
using Cat 5.

Any ideas?  I'm going to try and get a number from Mot Tech Support where I
can attempt an MLPPP connection and they can monitor things, or have them
connect to me.  I've already done this with my ISP and no matter what I've
tried nothing happens with the 2nd B.  I will also contact BA and have them
run some tests.

Thanks!

Andrew Chaplin, Computer Operator
Information Technology Services, Canisius College
chaplina at canisius dot edu (remove devnull when replying via email)

2. Handling bounced mail from mail lists

3. Multilink PPP (MLPPP), Linux RH 5.0, Bitsurfer Pro ISA = NOPE

4. Spacing in \tableofcontents

5. Linux RH 5.0: Strange route table?

6. firewalls, and sendmail setting itself unpriviledged

7. Zoom 2819 upgrade to V90 does not work with RH 5.0 PPP

8. Sending problem

9. RH Linux 5.2 & PPP - Nothing!

10. PPP "server" peer (RH Linux 2.0.35) not forwarding even with proxyarp.

11. RH 7.1 Linux ppp server strangeness

12. 2.3.5 compile on RH 5.0 2.0.35?

13. At connection too many pppd processes start (RH 5.0)