8-bit clean lines

Post by Art Edward » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have been runnning pppd with general success for the last three
months. However, I have nad an intermittant problem that has
re-occurred. After making the ppp connection, I receive the following
message (paraphrased)

return serial line is not 8-bit clean. bit 7 is always zero.

I am using a 32KB Cardinal internal modem. Has anyone seend this problem
before?

Art Edwards

8-bit clean lines

Post by N Yeama » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>[snip]
>After making the ppp connection, I receive the following
>message (paraphrased)

>return serial line is not 8-bit clean. bit 7 is always zero.

Since you mentioned pppd in your message I'm assuming you are using a UNIX
compatible system.

I am new with pppd or UNIX, but to me it sounds like you are only
transmitting/recieving 7 bits instead of 8.  Some other program may be changing
your serial setting to 7 bit transmission.

When you are having this problem, try using 'stty -a < {dev}' to see your serial
settings (where {dev} is the device name of your modem).  Look at the part with
cs (character size) and a single digit.  The digit should be an 8.  If it is a
7, this is most likely your problem.  'stty cs8 < {dev}' should fix it.

There is also another switch called 'istrip' used for stripping off the 7th bit.
Look at the settings again, and if there is a '-' in front of it, you should be
fine otherwise, use 'stty -istrip < {dev}' to turn it off

If these don't work, try 'man stty' or  find a program for your machine that
will allow you to change your serial settings.

Hope this helped,

N. Yeamans

-----N. Yeamans-----

"Without love there is no life"

1. 8-bit clean client telnet for ASM/CS & 9.21(3)

HI. I've a customer who want to access compuserve across the
Internet, but want a 8-bit clean connection via telnet, so
that he could use other compuserve software goodies other than
the text mode.  But I think I'm asking this question in
general( since, for example, Solaris 2.3 has the 8-bit clean
telnetd).

My question: our dialup frontend is an ASM/CS-112 with 9.21(3)
software.  Does this setup support 8-bit clean client telnet?

I looked at "telnet transparent" and "telnet /steam"; the
transparent mode apparently has nothing to do with 8-bit
stuff, and I don't see the /stream mode refers to 8-bit
matters either from the documentation.

Any suggestions?
Regards, /aaron.

2. 0100th Annual Guru Meditation

3. Linux: not 8-bit clean?

4. Question: Serial HIPPI

5. Help: Serial Link not 8-bit clean!

6. adding events to windows

7. Problem : 8-bit not clean.

8. CDRWIN 3.4C

9. Receive Serial Link is not 8-Bit Clean

10. ppp connection(Serial link is not 8-bit clean)

11. link is not 8-bit clean

12. 8-bit clean...

13. LCP problem (Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:)