Receive Serial Link is not 8-Bit Clean

Post by Campbell McLea » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone knows what causes the following error message
when I try to connect via PAP to my ISP (edited from my /var/log/messages
file:

Quote:>LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
>Connection Terminated
>Receive serial is not 8-bit clean
>Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0

My chatscript is:

  TIMEOUT 5
 "" AT&F
 OK ATDT94348011
 ABORT "NO CARRIER"
 ABORT BUSY
 ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
 ABORT WAITING
 TIMEOUT 45
 CONNECT ""

If I add the following to the end of the script it works fine :

 ervice "p"
 name "<username>"
 word "<passwd>"

My dial script is:

 exec pppd connect \
 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript' \
 -detach crtscts modem defaultroute \
 /dev/modem 57600

I've checked the RPM howto: it doesn't shed any light. My ISP does support
PAP and I am able to connect fine via a script with the abovementioned
addition.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Post by James Carlso » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I was wondering whether anyone knows what causes the following error message
> when I try to connect via PAP to my ISP (edited from my /var/log/messages
> file:

> >LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> >Connection Terminated
> >Receive serial is not 8-bit clean
> >Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0

That's generally caused when the other end of the link is not running
PPP at all, but is rather running some kind of command line.

Quote:> My chatscript is:

>   TIMEOUT 5
>  "" AT&F
>  OK ATDT94348011
>  ABORT "NO CARRIER"
>  ABORT BUSY
>  ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
>  ABORT WAITING
>  TIMEOUT 45
>  CONNECT ""

Try changing that last line to:

        CONNECT \c

--

IronBridge Networks / 55 Hayden Avenue  71.246W    Vox:  +1 781 372 8132
Lexington MA  02421-7996 / USA          42.423N    Fax:  +1 781 372 8090

Receive Serial Link is not 8-Bit Clean

Post by Campbell McLea » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi James,

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try it and let you know how it went. But
I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the other end is not running PPP -
do you mean that it won't automatically establish a PPP connection as
default? i.e., you can choose slip, ppp, terminal etc?
I think my ISP runs servers (on another number) which will not allow these
options, i.e., there is no command line interpreter; it will only accept PAP
connections. I don't use this number as it is a restricted login (sorry if I
am way off here, I'm a fairly new at this).

        Thanks,

                    Campbell

Post by James Carlso » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try it and let you know how it went. But
> I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the other end is not running PPP -
> do you mean that it won't automatically establish a PPP connection as
> default? i.e., you can choose slip, ppp, terminal etc?

I mean that the PPP protocol was not running at that point in time on
the peer.  Without more information, I can't really guess what the
peer might have been doing or expecting.  (Usually, it's the case that
something in the chat script, such as an extra LF, has triggered the
peer to enter a text-mode log-in.  Apparently many chat scripts have a
moderately bogus 'CONNECT ""' as the last line.  Changing this line to
'CONNECT \c' often fixes the problem.  Your mileage will vary.)