ppp connection(Serial link is not 8-bit clean)

ppp connection(Serial link is not 8-bit clean)

Post by Res Dege » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Runing pppd to connect to my Internet Service Provider fails after
connection (ppp0<-->/dev/modem).

Examining the log file says:
- pppd is sending the LCP request over and over without changing the
ConfReq id(=0x1)
- there is also the message: "kernel: ppp: frame with bad fcs, excess=<any
value>"
- and: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean: Problem: all had bit 7 set
to 0".

Supplemental information:
- The peer (spectraweb.ch) is running ppp software (eight data bits, no
parity, one stop bit).
- My machine: PC, modem E-TECH E56K RVP, Kernel 2.0.36, pppd 2.3.5
- Hardware flow control is explicitly enabeld in the chat-script (AT&K3)
- pppd speed is set to 38400
- pppd options are: modem, kdebug25, crtscts, defaultroute, noipdefault,
noauth, asyncmap0, noipx, novj, novjccomp

What is going wrong? Thank you for information:

Res Degen

Post by Clifford Ki » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: Runing pppd to connect to my Internet Service Provider fails after
: connection (ppp0<-->/dev/modem).

: Examining the log file says:
: - pppd is sending the LCP request over and over without changing the
: ConfReq id(=0x1)
: - there is also the message: "kernel: ppp: frame with bad fcs, excess=<any
: value>"

If there's only one bad fcs message then it's not a problem.

: - and: "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean: Problem: all had bit 7 set
: to 0".

This almost always means that PPP has not started at the ISP and it is
sitting at a text prompt or menu.  This may be because the ISP needs
something to start PPP or the chat script isn't giving the ISP exactly
what it needs.

One thing that often causes this is a chat script that ends with
  CONNECT ''  which sends a carriage return that confuses the ISP.
In that case the cure is to replace it with  CONNECT '\d\c'  or
  CONNECT \d\c  , the choice depending on whether the chat script is
implemented as arguments to chat or in a seperate file.

If this suggestion doesn't work then you'll need to post the chat
script and the chat log messages in full.  The messages should not be
hand-copied.  See my signature for a way to extract the chat messages
from a log file.

--

/* To extract lines:  View file with "vi -R".  Move cursor to first line.
   Press "v".  Move cursor to mark lines (Esc unmarks).  Write lines to

1. Help: Serial Link not 8-bit clean!

Setup:
Redhat 6.1 with a Wavecom (GSM) modem.

If I use minicom to dial the remote ISP, everything works fine, a
connection is made, and the authentication works.

If I then use ppp with (ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer) scripts to dial the same
ISP, I get the following message in /var/log/messages

Serial connection established
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty0
LCP: timeout sending
Connection Terminated
Recieve Serial Link is not 8-bit clean
Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Hangup (signup)
Exit

Can anybody help solve this issue, I've seen similar postings before,
but there is not a clear solution.

thanks

Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. printer installing

3. Receive Serial Link is not 8-Bit Clean

4. A new C 64 related website in German

5. LCP problem (Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:)

6. .NET replacement for dsofile ?

7. ???Serial link not 8-bit clean:

8. to prove mail sent

9. Serial link is not 8-bit clean ??????

10. Help: Serial Link is not 8-bit clean

11. ppp-2.2: connection not 8-bit clean?

12. link is not 8-bit clean

13. PPP 2.1.2 sunos problem - Serial link not 8 bit clean!!