Unknown Protocol / Protocol Reject

Unknown Protocol / Protocol Reject

Post by Rami A. Kishe » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:30:44



Hi, to those of you following my posts from last week, I got the modem
finally to behave, thanks to help from Bill Unruh and James Carlson.
Basically the connection was freezing a lot while downloading
files larger than 20kB.  I stripped down my chatscript to two
intialization commands: ATZ4 (instead of ATZ) and AT&F1.

It seems to be working fine now.

However, I noticed something curious while looking through my logs for
the past few days.  PPP keeps giving me those messages about Unsupported
protocols (see below).  What is the meaning of that?

Rami
-------------

Feb 10 02:01:39 paddington pppd[3612]: Unsupported protocol 'Stampede
Bridging' (0x6f) received

Feb 12 02:30:57 paddington pppd[1156]:
        BSD-Compress (15/12) compression enabled
Feb 12 02:30:57 paddington pppd[1156]:
        BSD-Compress (15/12) compression enabled
Feb 12 02:56:21 paddington pppd[1156]:
        Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x187d
Feb 12 02:56:23 paddington pppd[1156]:
        Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xbe0b
Feb 12 02:56:28 paddington pppd[1156]:
        Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xca5f
Feb 12 02:58:07 paddington pppd[1156]:
        Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xbe0b
Feb 12 02:58:07 paddington pppd[1156]:
        Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xb9
Feb 12 02:58:08 paddington pppd[1156]:
        Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x1

 
 
 

Unknown Protocol / Protocol Reject

Post by Ignatios Souvatz » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:52:15




Quote:> Hi, to those of you following my posts from last week, I got the modem
> finally to behave, thanks to help from Bill Unruh and James Carlson.
> Basically the connection was freezing a lot while downloading
> files larger than 20kB.  I stripped down my chatscript to two
> intialization commands: ATZ4 (instead of ATZ) and AT&F1.

> It seems to be working fine now.

> However, I noticed something curious while looking through my logs for
> the past few days.  PPP keeps giving me those messages about Unsupported
> protocols (see below).  What is the meaning of that?

> Rami
> -------------

> Feb 12 02:30:57 paddington pppd[1156]:
>    BSD-Compress (15/12) compression enabled
> Feb 12 02:30:57 paddington pppd[1156]:
>    BSD-Compress (15/12) compression enabled

this sounds harmless. Thats a notification that you're using a PPP compression
protocol.

But the others...

Quote:> Feb 10 02:01:39 paddington pppd[3612]: Unsupported protocol 'Stampede
> Bridging' (0x6f) received

> Feb 12 02:56:21 paddington pppd[1156]:
>    Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x187d
> Feb 12 02:56:23 paddington pppd[1156]:
>    Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xbe0b
> Feb 12 02:56:28 paddington pppd[1156]:
>    Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xca5f
> Feb 12 02:58:07 paddington pppd[1156]:
>    Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xbe0b
> Feb 12 02:58:07 paddington pppd[1156]:
>    Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xb9
> Feb 12 02:58:08 paddington pppd[1156]:
>    Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x1

If it was only one type, I'd suspect that the other side is really trying to
send  you some protocol your implementation doesn't know about. Harmless.

But you get lots of different ones... This looks like you're losing characters,
occasionally, so sometimes a packet looks like one from a different protocol
type.

I wonder however why they aren't thrown away due to the wrong crc.

Regards,
        -is

 
 
 

Unknown Protocol / Protocol Reject

Post by James Carlso » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:49:28



> If it was only one type, I'd suspect that the other side is really trying to
> send  you some protocol your implementation doesn't know about. Harmless.

> But you get lots of different ones... This looks like you're losing characters,
> occasionally, so sometimes a packet looks like one from a different protocol
> type.

No.  If that were it, the FCS (CRC) would catch it.

The problem is in the compression protocol.  The dictionary is
corrupt, and the decompression is failing.  This is usually due to an
implementation bug.  Disable CCP to fix it.

--

"PPP Design and Debugging" --- http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp

 
 
 

1. Protocol Reject for unsupported protocol ?

Hi,
I have Rh6.0 with ppp 2.3.3 at home. I'm tryinng to set up a ppp
connection between my pc running win 3.1 with Trumpet Winsocket 3.0
with the linux box via a direct cable.
I can start pppd and ping OK.
But the /var/log/messages is full of
ppp: Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x6c6f
ppp: Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x7263
ppp: Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0x5072
last message repeated xxx times
Any body knows why?

At work i have a ppp connection to my isp and every time i connect i
have this in /var/log/message
pppd: Unsuported protocol (0x802b) received
Every thing works fine

kim

2. getting a double click. How?

3. Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol

4. OS/2 WISHLIST (ADDIT?????

5. Unrecognized Protocol-Reject for protocol 0x7070

6. Saving text OS/2 window postions

7. Protocol-Reject for unsupported protocol 0xNNNN

8. what type of CD drive should i get

9. Can't connect to isp with pppd rejected protocol 0x80fd

10. LCP Protocol-Reject question

11. pppd 2.4.x rejects authentication protocols

12. Protocol-Reject w Win95 dial into linux & mgetty PPP

13. Protocol reject packet