8-bit clean...

Post by R.A. Wilso » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello -
I'm sure this question has been asked before in this newsgroup, but
I don't normally read this one, so I don't know.  For a couple of
years I have used ppp to connect to Concentric.net, my ISP, but they
recently installed 56K Flex modems, and they now require PAP.  I have
been trying to make the change-over and finally got the pap-secrets
thing worked out, (and wasted hours because they changed login: to
user: ) but now when I get the connection it gets dropped and I get

        Receive serial line is not 8-bit clean.
        Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0.

After the reading the PPP-HOWTO, I get the impression that pppd will
automatically set up for 8 data, no parity, and 1 stop bit.
So my question is:  Is it my ISP that has to make the change?
If not, can anyone help me with a suggestion as to what I might do?

Again, I apologize if this is a much-answered question, but it is
brand new to me.

        -roy-

8-bit clean...

Post by James Carlso » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>    Receive serial line is not 8-bit clean.
>    Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0.

> After the reading the PPP-HOWTO, I get the impression that pppd will
> automatically set up for 8 data, no parity, and 1 stop bit.
> So my question is:  Is it my ISP that has to make the change?
> If not, can anyone help me with a suggestion as to what I might do?

No, it's not something they need to change.

It's likely that your side is running PPP, but the other side is
running a text-mode command line.

Concentric.net was using Bay Annex servers; I don't know if they still
are.  If they are, then make sure you're not sending a CR after the
modem connects -- this will drop it into text-mode log-in.  Instead,
just start sending PPP immediately.

Alternatively, try doing the script procedure by hand with a terminal
emulator and find out what it takes to invoke PPP on their side.

--

IronBridge Networks / 55 Hayden Avenue  71.246W    Vox:  +1 781 372 8132
Lexington MA  02421-7996 / USA          42.423N    Fax:  +1 781 372 8190

1. 8-bit clean client telnet for ASM/CS & 9.21(3)

HI. I've a customer who want to access compuserve across the
Internet, but want a 8-bit clean connection via telnet, so
that he could use other compuserve software goodies other than
the text mode.  But I think I'm asking this question in
general( since, for example, Solaris 2.3 has the 8-bit clean
telnetd).

My question: our dialup frontend is an ASM/CS-112 with 9.21(3)
software.  Does this setup support 8-bit clean client telnet?

I looked at "telnet transparent" and "telnet /steam"; the
transparent mode apparently has nothing to do with 8-bit
stuff, and I don't see the /stream mode refers to 8-bit
matters either from the documentation.

Any suggestions?
Regards, /aaron.

2. CGI Script for byteserving PDF file via Internet

3. Linux: not 8-bit clean?

4. optimize a set of discrete data?

5. Help: Serial Link not 8-bit clean!

6. Problem with text not being effected in a list

7. Receive Serial Link is not 8-Bit Clean

8. C/C++ software

9. ppp connection(Serial link is not 8-bit clean)

10. link is not 8-bit clean

11. LCP problem (Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:)

12. 8-bit clean lines

13. ???Serial link not 8-bit clean: