Help: Serial Link is not 8-bit clean

Post by Tony Bat » Tue, 11 Oct 1994 02:00:03

I am having problems getting my ppp link to work and I was hoping someone
had seen this error before.  My setup is:

home pc:
Linux, 14.4 modem, ppp-2.1.2

office:
Sun 470MP, Sunos 4.1.3, Telebit WorldBlazer, ppp-2.1.2

I use cu to connect to the office system and run "pppd debug passive"
and then go back to my local system and run "pppd debug /dev/cua3 19200".
It always times out after the default 9 LCP requests and then stops trying
and logs the following error to the Sun's syslogd:

Serial Link is not 8-bit clean:
All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

Checking "stty" shows that things look like 8 bits should be flowing.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Tony Bates
--

Post by Ignatios Souvatz » Wed, 12 Oct 1994 01:26:45

 > I am having problems getting my ppp link to work and I was hoping someone
 > had seen this error before.  My setup is:
 >
 > home pc:
 > Linux, 14.4 modem, ppp-2.1.2
 >
 > office:
 > Sun 470MP, Sunos 4.1.3, Telebit WorldBlazer, ppp-2.1.2
 >
 > I use cu to connect to the office system and run "pppd debug passive"
 > and then go back to my local system and run "pppd debug /dev/cua3 19200".
 > It always times out after the default 9 LCP requests and then stops trying
 > and logs the following error to the Sun's syslogd:
 >
 > Serial Link is not 8-bit clean:
 > All received characters had bit 7 set to 0
 >
 > Checking "stty" shows that things look like 8 bits should be flowing.

look harder. Really hard.

If all else fails, read the manual.

It this still fails, get a newer Linux version, or get NetBSD.
--
        Ignatios Souvatzis
-

1. Help: Serial Link not 8-bit clean!

Setup:
Redhat 6.1 with a Wavecom (GSM) modem.

If I use minicom to dial the remote ISP, everything works fine, a
connection is made, and the authentication works.

If I then use ppp with (ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer) scripts to dial the same
ISP, I get the following message in /var/log/messages

Serial connection established
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty0
LCP: timeout sending
Connection Terminated
Recieve Serial Link is not 8-bit clean
Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Hangup (signup)
Exit

Can anybody help solve this issue, I've seen similar postings before,
but there is not a clear solution.

thanks

Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Development consulting work with TeX and C

3. Receive Serial Link is not 8-Bit Clean

4. Toshiba Vs. Dell

5. ppp connection(Serial link is not 8-bit clean)

6. Sync with Outlook 2000

7. LCP problem (Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:)

8. will there be a webcast for the press conference at 7pm est?

9. ???Serial link not 8-bit clean:

10. Serial link is not 8-bit clean ??????

11. link is not 8-bit clean

12. Not 8-bit clean help

13. Serial link is not 8 bit clean